Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JXC

My Java-based Doom-like engine

Hi, I have some new ideas for a Doom-style indie game that I might release on Steam:

*The engine either is made from scratch or uses mochadoom as a base
*The engine will be written in Java using NetBeans
*The engine may or may not use polygonal environments
*The engine will accept MP3, MIDI, MUS, XM, MOD, Ogg, etc. format for music. XM is the default music file
*Music will be composed in Milkytracker using either XI, Pat, or both types of instruments
*Game will use WAD format or something similar
*Game will use DECORATE or similar format for actors
*Game will have built-in/packaged SLADE-like editor
*Gameplay is like Doom with non-linear/Metroidvania type elements
*Game will be centered on themes based on Apocrypha, early Christianity (from Atheist perspective), surrounding mythology including Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Persian
*Textures and sprites may use bmp, png, jpeg, various formats
*Boom-like features
*Doom Retro type liquids with waves
*Friendly characters
*Habitable towns
*And more to think about

Thats a big list. Don't expect all of that to be done in a week without using a pre-fab engine. It sounds great though.

JXC said:

surrounding mythology including Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Persian

Why not also Gauls and Carthaginians?

JXC, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

I did not actually start anything. I am not even a master in Java. I was going to finish this in like years, perhaps 30 years later. When I actually start something, I'll show you it. Maybe I'll upload a song I made with MilkyTracker.

Good to see the community always so welcoming and encouraging as usual. I mean yes it's overly ambitious and is probably targeting the wrong language but, just say so in so many words. Not even onto the second page and we're using curses.

@JXC
This is a huge project that requires programming skills that you don't currently have I'm sure. So, it doesn't make sense to discuss anything about this project at the moment.

If it's primarily done by hacking features into a Mocha Doom base, programming could very well be the easy part. Creating all the assets for a new game from scratch is going to be a big job.

Good luck, in any case. Post some screenshots when you get started.

Interesting that a moderator of all people is using the newproject tag when it's of no use here, given that the OP isn't actually asking for help on his mega-cool-and-whatnot project.

JXC said:

I did not actually start anything. I am not even a master in Java. I was going to finish this in like years, perhaps 30 years later. When I actually start something, I'll show you it. Maybe I'll upload a song I made with MilkyTracker.

Okay well it sounds like in the mean time you don't have anything to show yet though. So maybe come back in 30 years when you're done? Or at least once you have something to show.