Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Fullscreen abuses copyright system on Youtube (Resolved)

I have multiple sources for this faggotry of Fullscreen:

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/3fs365/h3h3_productions_gets_their_most_popular_video/

http://yttalk.com/threads/fullscreen-abuses-copyright-system.179362/

Yea, threatening over stuff h3h3 has no control over is real mature, Fullscreen..

As far as I know, I have heard nothing from Fullscreen's side of this story so I will post an update IF they post their side.

UPDATE: Fullscreen's CEO retracted the claims and strikes after discussing things with him.

Here is a basic summary from one of the posts further down by one of the Reddit users in the thread:

h3h3productions channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDWIvJwLJsE4LG1Atne2blQ?&ab_channel=h3h3Productions?&ab_channel=h3h3Productions

They make videos exposing cringy/cancerous channels and news reports.

Fullscreen are a multi-channel network that happened to be partnered with a prank channel he made a video about.

Fullscreen copyrighted the video and are now attempting to copyright more.

h3h3 is angry as his videos were clearly made in fair use, i.e critiquing/parodying, and the copyright strikes mean he can't earn money from his hard work.

Jim Sterling's dealt with that shit and he was able to get his videos reinstated and the strikes removed. It's happened more than once to him and this abuse of the system simply isn't helping the mid sized, small and smaller creators.

Since I've been doing YouTube stuff since almost the very beginning of the site, I've got a few cents on this. Since their introduction, networks have always been doing this sort of crap in one way or another. Very few are actually ever helpful. Most of these function nearly like a pyramid scheme in the sense they heavily misinform potential clients by promising them a great return in ad-revenue while taking advantage of colorful language in their PR that hardly anyone will fucking understand AND the fact most of their potential clientele are just kids wanting to making money off of playing their videogames. Machinima did this crap in spades in the beginning and well, still does.

Fullscreen is no different. I tried signing up with these guys constantly since 2013 because I was told a lot of good things about it...and well here is how it went down: never answered a single email I sent them in a helpful manner at all. Kept sending me copies of a contract to sign even though I hadn't unlinked myself from the Network I'm currently on (so essentially it was a fruitless contract), eventually I get told to just stop trying. Basically fuck these guys. They're pretty elitist and if they don't want you in their cool kids club, you're not getting in. Its a good way to put a gun to your PR's head and just murder it because damn, I will never deal with these people again. I'm happier to be on BroadbandTV because they've always been helpful. It may not have the worlds greatest CPM but they're so much better to deal with in all regards.

A lot of younger teenager video gamers, and even guys like the ones in OP's video, get wrapped up in absolutely archaic contracts that allow these "companies" (which is such a fucking massive stretch of the term) to do whatever the fuck they want to do with their content. In some cases if signed to them, the moment you upload your video, you don't even own it yourself anymore. I dumped a comment on the video you linked and I'll say the same thing here that I said there. I don't know much of that crap is strictly legal, and how much they're just scooting by with until someone decides to file a formal lawsuit for abuses of copyright laws.

EDIT:

Forgot to touch on the Copyright issues YouTube has always suffered, but here we go. Even if not for stuff like this, the copyright system has always always been broken and ripe for abuse. So has the flagging system. YouTube appears to use as algorythmical system for everything on the site, even flagging, so often when you flag a video that actually does violate the TOS, nothing ever fucking happens. However, if you do the same with a video that happens to use certain key phrases in its content or titles/whatever, it goes down instantly even if there is nothing offensive about it at all. I've lost countless videos this way over the years. The copyright system picks up on material that may not even be in your videos sometimes as well, so you can get nuked off the site for something that wasn't even in your video to begin with and by deleting your channel and videos, well what proof do you have at that point? Bullshit V2.0.1

Then there are the people who just go around false DMCAing videos they don't like or agree with and the entire abyssal void of nothing that gets done about it. It's pretty apparent that YouTube doesn't give a flying motherfuck about that problem and probably never well so they're not helping this whole thing either.

I don't even let ads run on my content and I am a strong advocate of Adblock Plus/uBlock because of the repetitive pre-roll ads that are used.

For me, I don't mind running ads on my videos. Quite frankly with the views I get, the extra disposable cash helps when it comes to end of the months bills/expenses.

My channel is super small time and I barely get any views, but apparently several popualr videos that I do have and the thousand subs I somehow scrounged ages ago (not even a tenth of whom watch everything I post, lol) were enough for Fullscreen to message me on their own one time. I then replied and signed up and have been partnered with them for a while. Of course, due to the extremely low number of views I get on whatever crap I decide to even upload, I get like a hundred bucks a year or so, but I don't care since I never considered relying on youtube for income. Basically it's just a nice tiny bonus for me.

However, I've seen this on reddit and someone mentioned that networks take more money than youtube "vanilla" would... and I have basically no information about that. I've also read that partnering with a network protects you better against copyright strikes or something? I wonder, if I just unpartnered them the next time they send me my well-earned 50$ (minimum amount I need to collect for them to pay up), would I retain all monetization on the videos that are monetized, and could I switch to youtube sending me a 100$ a year instead of Fullscreen? Need to dig for some info on this shit... I really don't support the type of shit they seem to be pulling.

Antroid said:

My channel is super small time and I barely get any views, but apparently several popualr videos that I do have and the thousand subs I somehow scrounged ages ago (not even a tenth of whom watch everything I post, lol) were enough for Fullscreen to message me on their own one time. I then replied and signed up and have been partnered with them for a while. Of course, due to the extremely low number of views I get on whatever crap I decide to even upload, I get like a hundred bucks a year or so, but I don't care since I never considered relying on youtube for income. Basically it's just a nice tiny bonus for me.

However, I've seen this on reddit and someone mentioned that networks take more money than youtube "vanilla" would... and I have basically no information about that. I've also read that partnering with a network protects you better against copyright strikes or something? I wonder, if I just unpartnered them the next time they send me my well-earned 50$ (minimum amount I need to collect for them to pay up), would I retain all monetization on the videos that are monetized, and could I switch to youtube sending me a 100$ a year instead of Fullscreen? Need to dig for some info on this shit... I really don't support the type of shit they seem to be pulling.

The way I've heard it is that unless you are in the real big leagues, you're better off without a network cause they do jack shit for the little guys when it comes to managing legal stuff.

GeckoYamori said:

The way I've heard it is that unless you are in the real big leagues, you're better off without a network cause they do jack shit for the little guys when it comes to managing legal stuff.

Sometimes it's necessary. Especially with reviews and let's plays.

Technician said:

Sometimes it's necessary. Especially with reviews and let's plays.

I've never really quite understood what kind of inherent advantages they bring with the system as it is now. Do they have some kind of agreements with lots of specific publishers/developers in terms of revenue?

GeckoYamori said:

Do they have some kind of agreements with lots of specific publishers/developers in terms of revenue?

Exactly. Nintendo for an example is in agreement with a few different networks to allow their content creators leniency with using their IPs.

I thought Nintendo were pretty adamant about everything being monetized specifically through their own partnership program. And their notorious track record with people who I assume are part of these big networks like TotalBiscuit and AngryJoe doesn't exactly lend a lot of credibility to that leniency. Unless this was something that literally happened within the last couple of months.

Speaking of Nintendo, they've recently sent like four or three copyright notices about some of my ancient videos (they used nintendo game music), but all they did was make it so I don't get money from those specific videos, no strikes, no mute audio, no changes. I wonder if it would've went differently without Fullscreen. I think for now I'll stick with FS, don't fix what ain't broken and all that...

Update on the OP: h3h3 got in touch with the CEO of Fullscreen and retracted all claims and strikes, putting him in good standing again.