Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PsychoGoatee

The best WADs? Especially ones less about giant open battles?

I've been catching up on some Duke3D mods and user levels lately, on an FPS kick. What are some of the best user made maps and episodes for Doom?

Pretty much looking for fun levels that are impressive or unique in some way. And just personal preference, I'm looking for less of the 100s of monsters giant open maps style. That's cool too though.

Your personal favs, and stuff that might impress, feel free to post! Also, what are the best sites to get them? Doomworld.com/idgames and moddb? And any really good sites that review WADs?

Recently I got Going Down, Valiant, Suspended in Dusk, and Knee Deep in ZDoom. And Brutal Doom is fun too of course. And I've never played a Doom user level outside of Master Levels For Doom 2 and Final Doom, shocking I know. Thanks!

Salt-Man Z said:

Besides kmx's blog (linked in the previous post) which is frigging invaluable

It does look great, but also not immediately obvious what say his top 10 would be. Unless he did an article like that somewhere on there. A lot to look through there. I like it when they put a score on the side of the listing so I can start there.

Granted that'll leave out some good stuff too, but gotta start somewhere. There's an endless amount of stuff out there, and I'm looking to start at the top. Granted that's subjective and whatnot. The Cacowards are a good reference too, thanks. And can I ask you Salt-Man Z, what are some of your favs?

Thrill me, Doom! Rock me, Ama-Doom-eus.

I don't know about what I would call the "best" ones but here are some that came to mind thinking you might like them.

Ultimate Doom: Doom the Way id Did, Visions of Eternity
Doom 2: TVR!, Dimensions of Time, Biowar, Demonfear, Icarus, The Darkening episode 2

Oh and also try out ZDoom Community Project: Take 2, it's pretty cool :u

Scythe gets a bit hectic towards the end but is the definitive set of bite sized levels. Zone 300 I had a lot of stress free fun with if you want the small maps without the steep difficulty curve.

Doom the Way id Did and Doom 2 the Way id Did are more strongest recommendations for transitioning from IWADs to PWADs, you might not notice the difference :-)

Classic Episode for Doom and 10 Sectors for Doom II (along with Scythe) we're where I cut my teeth on PWADs and it certainly worked for me.

Memento Mori II would be good to ease into if you don't want big slaughter battles and don't might a bit of puzzle solving / exploration.

Plutonia 2 / Revisited may be bit harsh for what you're interested in but they're a no brained if you were really into Plutonia Experiment.

I also recommend the one man blog review site. You can use the Cacowards for your short list and narrow it down to WADs of personal interest with the detailed reviews on KMXs site.

If you want wads that are amazing and not about huge open battles, try ChordNG, ChordG, and Chord3.

(Sometimes, it seems I'm the only person who still remembers these. No one ever talks about the Chord series anymore...)

If you liked Suspended In Dusk, then Back To Basics by the same author is worth checking out.

PsychoGoatee said:

And can I ask you Salt-Man Z, what are some of your favs?

You sure can. My tastes have a tendency to change perodically (right now I'm in a kind of more relaxed run-n-gun Doom 1 phase) but here are some of my all-time faves:

Mordeth
Vanguard and Lunatic (same author as Valiant)
Back to Saturn X (both eps)
Doom the Way ID Did
Doom 2 the Way ID Did
NewDoom Community Project
UAC Ultra
Caverns of Darkness
Sacrament
Epic 2
Icarus

Thanks all for the recommendations! I've downloaded quite a few of these so far, and looking at a lot of them they look pretty groovy.

AD_79 said:

I hope you're joking.

No worries I already downloaded it, so it can't be undone. Anything anybody posts I will have to play, it's already programmed. It's like the teleprompter in Anchorman.

Brutal Doom. I like ducking around corners, setting up shop for a minute, and then firing a round into the head of an unsuspecting former human trooper boss, and then BOOM, I'm right back behind that corner faster than a Mancubus can say come to your momma. And it works especially well with Brutal Doom.

No but seriously try Kuchitsu.

Anybody else have some opinions on the best of the best? (Not the Eric Roberts martial arts movie)

And a side question if it helps make it a less vague topic, what are some of your favs of the Cacoward winners?

Just one bump, just in case anybody who missed it has some groovy WADs to throw my way. I'll try them all!

(Hopefully it's not a crazy hundreds of enemies slaughterfest though. I'm too young to die [I play on HMP though])

All you jokesters who only posted your opinion on that one thingy, do you like any WADs? You wander into a topic with nary a WAD to recommend. Shameful. =P

PsychoGoatee said:

All you jokesters who only posted your opinion on that one thingy, do you like any WADs? You wander into a topic with nary a WAD to recommend. Shameful. =P

A lot of people like to joke about BTSX being bad.

Then there's the occasional person that actually dislikes it.

AD_79 said:

A lot of people like to joke about BTSX being bad.

Then there's the occasional person that actually dislikes it.

Not to point fingers here, but you've posted in this topic several times. Surely you must have a WAD you could recommend? Warrior needs WADs badly.

(edit: Oh right, you did recommend one. Still, contractually you could do two more. You're not one of those jokesters.)

PsychoGoatee said:

Not to point fingers here, but you've posted in this topic several times. Surely you must have a WAD you could recommend? Warrior needs WADs badly.

Alright, here's a few wads, mainly megawads, aside from BTSX that I like:

-Doom The Way Id Did/Doom 2 The Way Id Did
-Eternal Doom (well, some of it)
-Icarus
-Jenesis
-Khorus' Speedy Shit
-Lunatic
-Memento Mori/Memento Mori 2
-Plutonia 2
-Plutonia Revisited Community Project
-Requiem
-Resurgence
-Reverie
-Scythe/Scythe 2/Scythe X
-Strain
-Sunlust (note: this one will kick your ass)
-TVR (Thomas van der Velden's Revolution!)
-Unholy Realms
-Valiant

There's also the Megawad Club archives - see the latest thread for links to all the WADs they've played. No guarantees that every one is a winner, but there's over 1000 levels in there now, so plenty to choose from.

I always recommend Unloved first and foremost, even though it does have its share of big battles. The level design and atmosphere more than makes up for it, and I wouldn't call it a Hell Revealed mod.

Also Skepland for Plutonia, which I enjoyed despite it hating my guts.

Also Crusades for Ultimate Doom. Has a distinct visual style and is pretty good all-around.