Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mickmaus

my first map [and #2!]

EDIT: Added a new second map download link!

Hello,
Unlike most of you i have a pretty small amount of experience directly with doom. However! I love making 3d(ish) maps in various editors, thinking about the architecture, texturing and lighting, and visual design within major restrictions. My total playtime on doom/2 is probably about 20 hours, and most of that was years ago.

THAT SAID: here's my first map that i'm teaching myself doombuilder with. There's a lot of poorly aligned textures, and i think i used stuff for walls that's supposed to be not walls, but hey.

Download #1 HERE
UpperTek map #2 Download

Not bad at all for a very first effort. I wouldn't release it to idgames at this point but I've seen far worse maps uploaded to the archives.

I really liked how you already seem to have a good idea of how to properly use lighting.

One small bug I found is that you made one of the switches for the lift non repeatable effectively stranding the player in the blue key area if he pushes it too early.

These maps would definitely benefit from a tad more detail and better texturing in some parts but there's a lot of potential here I think.

Nice! I liked the geometry and the irregular gaps in the ceiling near the start. Interesting rooms and looping section. Branching decision in the pillar room provides interest and depth. Two bugs: I got trapped in the upper section at the top of the lift on my first playthrough. The door near the demon cages needs to have lower unpegged on the 'frame' linedefs so the texture doesn't raise with the door.

Overall I liked your design, hopefully you keep fleshing out your ideas.

Surprisingly decent for a my first map map. I could tell you were ambitious and you knew what you wanted to make (albeit actually knowing what you're doing with the program isn't quite there). I'll give you a tip: Press A while highlighting a texture in visual mode to align every adjacent identical texture horizontally and shift + A does the same vertically. You can also use the arrow keys to align them manually in visual mode or (not recommended) drag them with the mouse.

I've got a playlist of tutorials by AlysiumX which teaches you the basics here. He has way more than just these ones though, I only used these ones just to get the gist of the program.

And I've also got a short video which should help you with that locked door at the end

Applicable with doors flat against the wall (though it kind of looks shitty when you do that tbh)

I forgot to mention that your switch doesn't reactivate again at the top of the lift. I'm hoping you fixed that in the update.

Aside from a good handful of textures being off set, I think it's really good.

Another little thing, you used a blue key to open a red door. A little confusing.

But, I liked the way you used secrets, far better than me.

Keep it up!

mickmaus said:

Added a second map, with custom midi file! Check it out ^^^

Simple and sparse but fun, I liked getting the chainsaw for the two pinkys and having just enough rockets to take on the hellknights.

I played the second one--not too shabby. I think you strength is choosing "correct" textures to pair together, as I liked the theming of the whole map. Your layout is also pretty decent, wrapping the whole map around itself and having some clever tricks like the lowering of the wall for the blue key. Note that a particularly important thing to work on is aligning the textures so they repeat properly, as you have a lot of uppers pegged so it looks a little weird. Definitely keep at it though, you have potential!

I like both of them! The first one while plain had a decent layout and had potential. The second map also had a good overall layout and looked pretty cool in various areas.
Keep on mapping! I'd like to see more maps from you in the future.

[MAG]Nathan said:

Another little thing, you used a blue key to open a red door. A little confusing.

Yeah I should point out that my video is specifically for red doors only. There are blue and yellow ones for blue and yellow doors under DOORBLU and DOORYEL

I don't know if it was intentional. But all the doors on your second map, will all open, when you try to open one of them.

Otherwise, I really liked the difficulty and enemy placement.

[MAG]Nathan said:

I don't know if it was intentional. But all the doors on your second map, will all open, when you try to open one of them.

that was my initial intention, wanted to make it a large grid of tunnels that all used the same tag. the idea would be lots of monsters trapped between different sections depending of on your timing of opening the doors they'd move around to random rooms kinda. I gave up quickly after having no fun copypasting in doom builder haha