Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom v0.3 quick-n-dirty conversion

I Noticed some areas were not accessible, this might be due to Some lindefs having flag impassable .

Oh I never even knew about 0.3, was there even a news article on the front page?

Oh hey, what do you know.

looks like the monster placement is all over the place. some imps aren't in the maps, depending on skill level. Can't manage to find some of the monsters at all. hmmmm....

Thoughts as I played level 1:

1. Glad Doom came out looking nothing like this.
2. Oh crap, a baron, why the hell is there a baron here?
3. ZZZ, glad Doom came out looking nothing like this.
4. Where the fuck is the shotgun?
5. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the link. I'm glad Doom was, uh, better.

@Linguica:

Did you use my guide? (Not looking for credit, just wondering if it was, in fact, accurate. I didn't have time to render the maps). Good job, by the way!

Yes, I credited you in the text file. All I had to do was find the Yadex function for loading the LINES lump from 0.4, zero out two lines, and change the size of the structure it looked for from 36 bytes to 32.

Linguica said:

Yes, I credited you in the text file. All I had to do was find the Yadex function for loading the LINES lump from 0.4, zero out two lines, and change the size of the structure it looked for from 36 bytes to 32.

Oh, wow, very cool! When I was doing a v0.4 conversion, I noticed the super-wide textures, and a bug you can see in the playing card room: If a wall is larger than the texture, the last vertical line is repeated to fill out the texture. Textures didn't wrap along the X screen axis. Maybe I'll get some images up later. Easy to find, though. I added some code in KBDoom to emulate this, as I was trying to add code to load the Alphas as-is, and at least be able to walk through the levels. Never finished, but I got the wall bug working.