Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone!

Really inspired by the map that I have enjoyed very much, "Chaingun Deviant" (http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/73891-chaingun-deviant/), I decided to try the same gameplay concept.

Chaingunner, complevel -2.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5o8tkf818cs57z/chaingunner.wad?dl=0

The idea is the same, you need to complete the level AND kill all the monsters. So you have to save up ammo.

Just to give a hint, there are many ways to pass this level, but the key is to do it in such a way as to obtain as much ammo as possible. There are several ways to either get more ammunition or to save it, but there are ways to loose it, too.

Enjoy!

I'm quickly getting addicted to your maps Louigi! This map (especially the Arch-vile) kicked my ass for a good while until I slowed down and had some patience. Finally managed to finish it 100% kills/items with 150 ammo remaining (I think 200 could be done with a bit more patience at the end but I just wanted the win screen!). Here was my strategy:

Spoiler

I found the key to this map was really banking enough ammo to comfortably kill the Arch-vile and finally the mancubus. Here's a rough outline:

Pick up the chaingun and lure the two Imps one by one into the spawn room. Fist them down and you should still be at 100 health/80 ammo. Enter the cage room and drop in front of the Baron for an ammo pack, take the tele out and return to the cage room. Now the timing is tricky on this bit, try to bait shots out of the baron and just before you think he's going to fire hit the switch. If you timed it right the Chaingunner gets hit by the attack and starts infighting with the Baron. Help out our brave (stupid) friend by tapping fire with the chaingun whenever you see the baron's attack frame to help stunlock him and protect the Chaingunner. After the Baron falls it's time to stab that fat bastard in the back before he turns on you.

Enter the courtyard with the Cacos and try to lure them around the edge of the Imp pit. Position the Cacos between you and the Imps to get them to infight, with a little patience you can kill all of the Imps this way. Now I just disposed of the Cacos but you could lure them to spawn for later to save more ammo. Hit the switch and collect the health and ammo from the back room. Play peekaboo with the Arch-vile behind the pillars and clean up any imps he ressed. Pickup the ammo if you need it and hit the switch.

Lure the Mancubus out of the cage room so you can hit the switch behind his spawn. Position the Pain Ele between you and the fatman so his rockets burst down cyclops and his flaming skulls. Congratulate the fatman on a job well done by filling his sizeable gut with lead and run to the exit to acquire immense satisfaction.

vadrig4r said:

Here was my strategy:

Spoiler

I found the key to this map was really banking enough ammo to comfortably kill the Arch-vile and finally the mancubus. Here's a rough outline:

Pick up the chaingun and lure the two Imps one by one into the spawn room. Fist them down and you should still be at 100 health/80 ammo. Enter the cage room and drop in front of the Baron for an ammo pack, take the tele out and return to the cage room. Now the timing is tricky on this bit, try to bait shots out of the baron and just before you think he's going to fire hit the switch. If you timed it right the Chaingunner gets hit by the attack and starts infighting with the Baron. Help out our brave (stupid) friend by tapping fire with the chaingun whenever you see the baron's attack frame to help stunlock him and protect the Chaingunner. After the Baron falls it's time to stab that fat bastard in the back before he turns on you.

Enter the courtyard with the Cacos and try to lure them around the edge of the Imp pit. Position the Cacos between you and the Imps to get them to infight, with a little patience you can kill all of the Imps this way. Now I just disposed of the Cacos but you could lure them to spawn for later to save more ammo. Hit the switch and collect the health and ammo from the back room. Play peekaboo with the Arch-vile behind the pillars and clean up any imps he ressed. Pickup the ammo if you need it and hit the switch.

Lure the Mancubus out of the cage room so you can hit the switch behind his spawn. Position the Pain Ele between you and the fatman so his rockets burst down cyclops and his flaming skulls. Congratulate the fatman on a job well done by filling his sizeable gut with lead and run to the exit to acquire immense satisfaction.

Enjoyed that lol.

Wow, nice stuff! I like your approach.

Here's how I do this.

Spoiler

I go to the cage room, down imps and drop for ammo into the pit. Then teleport to the spawn room and go for the Cacodemons. Thanks to the pit ammo, you have enough ammo to down both Cacodemons, it is important to not let them into the imp yard, since you don't want Arch-vile to resurrect Cacodemons.
Then you jump into imp yard and it is relatively easy to run around and kill all imps.

Then you go to the room with medicine and ammo, collect it all, go out and use this ammo to kill the Arch-ville. This ammo should be enough, if not, the same switch that opens the room with medicine and ammo actually opens the door to more ammo in the spawn room.

After you killed the Arch-ville, you trigger a button in the imp yard, which opens a door right behind the Baron (!!!).

This is important, because it allows you to go there and while the pit still prevents monsters to charge, you let Mancubus shoot at you and hit the Baron. This is the only fight that, imho, makes sense, since both monsters are strong and you can make them fight very easily.

Usually the Baron will kill Mancubus and you use only little amount of ammo to kill him off, since Mancubus will do some serious harm to the Baron.

Once the Baron is killed, you work the switch to get the pit up, kill the chaingunner in the cage (sometimes if you are lucky, you can collect his ammo).

Then, when you have to face Pain Elemental you pretty much have enough ammo.

So, this is my way :)

FDA

I am good at dying.

I enjoyed the map! I made it to the pain elemental, which I take is the final challenge? I was stupidly low on health and died to a stray lost soul. I didn't have the courage to try again. Personally I had little trouble with ammo, but I'd have really appreciated a little more health.