Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

ChurchDoom (Image heavy, now a Ty Halderman tribute)

I brought up the idea of building real world locations based off of their floor plans in Fabian's thread, so I decided to make one and post stuff as well as others doing this. If you want to post stuff related to maps based off of real structures, by all means do so.

This is based off the Southland Christian Church in Nicholasville, Kentucky and this is only the worship area. A fuckton of copy-paste was done for all of the pews in the room and had to get creative looking at photographs and the floor plan, which can be found here along with like 3 dozen or others found through Google Images, including offices, residential complexes and others.

Overhead in DB.

Green torches were used for contrasting the mostly black and gray room, which is what the real life building floor and walls look like. I am using the GOTHICTX.WAD textures to get the extra realism seen in the shots.

This is interesting, but IMO some more brutal locations would suit doom better... like, for example, the odessa catacombs!

Or, for the style of it, the Hal Saflieni Hypogeum!

That catacombs location would become a nightmare to play and construct.

Glaice said:

That catacombs location would become a nightmare to play and construct.

Been there, done that, and I agree on both fronts :P

I have applied more detail, including the section where a curtain would be and stairs to the left, but I'm not sure what sort of detail I can put without making it look ultra detailed.

It's much larger in scale than the actual church regions by itself

Added 8/9/15: No images here but I did a little more work along the small room before the worship room as well as some preliminary work on the rooms below it, which includes the bathrooms.

I might just make this into a semi-slaughter map due to the huge size it is.

Image updates! Take a look at the revised lobby and the initial (but early) starting region (I think) HERE

I don't really know about this one. It looks far too large and bland for you to really make anything but a slaughtermap from it, perhaps even along the lines of Chillax.

Yea, the scale is too large and having a higher monster count is the plan.

Clicky

More screenshot goodness, including some revamping of the exterior and some high resolution religious textures.

I will rename the map if it is just a single map but will keep the title above if I end up doing more than one than one.

Another thing is finding suitable music that is not the typical Mozart/Bach pipe organ MIDI music since I would want some songs that would not trigger Youtube's retardly sensitive ContentID system. If anybody wishes to contribute a 5 or longer minute pipe organ/string song that would sound like something in a church, you are welcome to contribute IF I end up making more than one level.

I'll keep you guys and gals in touch.

EDIT: This map is now also a Ty Halderman tribute. Will whip up some textures for this as well.

More imagery.

Can somebody explain what the hell is going on in the first image? That is a shot from testing with ZDoom 2.7.10 with this weird "gap" into the ground. This does not show under OpenGL ports like GZDoom.

Second image is seeing how textures look in ZDoom with the high res ones temporarily disabled. The black is from GOTHICTX.WAD not loading with it.

Third image is showing the high res sky.

Looks like an unclosed sector. Try to redraw the sectors on both sides of the offending linedef - just go to "Make Sector" mode and click each of the sectors once. If it doesn't help, check the offending linedef's properties, make sure that front and back sector numbers are what they should be (= in compliance with sector numbers of other linedefs in these sectors), and make sure that there aren't multiple linedefs on top of each other (try block selection, it tells you how many lines are selected).

I moved around the vertex between the step and the stage as well as changing the node builder to ZDBSP then glBSP (from Zennode) and all seems to be well now after retesting.

ZDBSP did not build the SEGS, SSECTORs or NODES for some strange reason so I switched to glBSP.

The file has multiple lumps regarding the late Ty Halderman and the name will be changed when the map is finalized. I was thinking SouthHell as a mockup of the actual Southland name but with the passing of Mr. Halderman, the plan was changed.

I was doing mainly graphics editing and lump modification today but I will do more structural additions on Friday.

Also, I am trying to figure out if his DOB is 1945 or 1946 so certain graphics are correct. The accursed wikia says 1945 and I hear 1946 elsewhere, so which is it?

Glaice said:

The accursed wikia says 1945 and I hear 1946 elsewhere, so which is it?

1945, also the wad looks fantastic, like you said before it would look great for a slaughter map, also does the map push the boundaries of the Doom builder map size?

scifista42 said:

I cannot find any evidence of this.

Me either, it honestly just feels like the more correct date, im sure something would have been said if his birthday before his death, plus im sure doom wiki was able to contact the family im sure someone closely related to Ty would've helped out.

Maybe nothing was said about his birthday because nobody knows when his birthday is. And I doubt that wikia had a special source of information, they've more likely guessed the year.

Thanks, now I don't have to worry about reediting certain graphics lumps now.

Yea, that I will worry with more once the basic structure is placed down.

Have a gander at Ty's ingame coffin:

I don't know beliefs Ty had so I will have to assume Christian or some branch of it.