Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGamingJunkie

Is there a reason the Steam version lags randomly?

I'll randomly get extremely horrible lag, we're talking 1-2 fps, even on the main menu. Thing is, when it actually runs well, it's completely smooth so I don't get what's causing it. Can't be my hardware because it should be able to run Doom 3 in its sleep, here are my specs:

3.16 GHz Intel Duocore Processor
4GB of RAM
AMD HD 5670 512MB GPU

Is there some kind of weird thing with AMD video cards where Doom 3 will just decide to randomly not cooperate? Even Skyrim runs flawlessly under the same circumstances.

And the icing on the cake, it crashes when I try to load my game.

Update: After running Driver Booster and it updated every driver that needed updating, Doom 3 seems to be working fine. Still can't access my saves, though, guess they got corrupt or something.

It would seem my problems with Doom 3 will never really cease with this setup. Everything's the same except now I have an additional gigabyte of RAM but, now, Doom 3 chugs randomly even with Driver Booster ensuring that all of my drivers are up to date. Is there some reason the Steam version of Doom 3 just doesn't want to play nice with my system? My far weaker laptop can run it with far less hassle so why can't my desktop, whose hardware puts the laptop to shame? Can't be ATI, the laptop has an integrated Radeon card and only 2 GB of RAM.

Steam also causes random crash to happen sometimes when you want to switch mod normally, I Noticed that before i applied 1.3.1 Patch, It might be Steam itself or just game needs a better steam integration .

I Fixed it by extracting 1.3.1 exe to game folder without overwriting the default steam exe, and added it as a Non steam game to my library .

Holy crap, that actually worked and I didn't even have to add it as a Non-Steam game, I just went ahead and extracted the Doom3.exe file under a different name in the same directory, popped it open, and go figure, it fixed the problem. I guess the Steam version of Doom 3 is just terribly unoptimized.

Yeah appearantly, I added it to my library however just to be able to use Steam overlay .

Fair enough, also kind of funny that OBS' dedicated game recorder chugs Doom 3 Classic, yet the Monitor recorder that just records some box region runs buttery smooth. At least, now, I can record without being hindered by lag. Of course, now I can't blame my lack of skill on the lag. XD