Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
j4rio

Improving -respawn?

Fact: current rules for uv-respawn are terrible. How about instead of 100% kills and secrets the requirement would be changed to 100% items and secrets? Also, welcome to 1996.

Well I was introduced to the category by The Green Herring runs, I appreciated them as they were and I liked them. Not "terrible" for me.

I think it's very map-specific. Particularly, anything too short obviously doesn't work for respawn, and linear maps generally do not differ too much from max. Any map that doesn't have enough powerful weaponry or lower-tier monsters that would be easy to kill upon respawning probably doesn't work too well either. Overall, I don't think it's a great category because of that, but it works for some maps, and I guess there are people who really enjoy -respawn runs. :P

AD_79 said:

Just make it a separate category.

No need, niche categories aren't really a top priority these days anyway. This was posted just for discussion/ranting purposes.

vdgg said:

Well I was introduced to the category by The Green Herring runs, I appreciated them as they were and I liked them. Not "terrible" for me.

I don't know, what's there to appreciate about the crapshoot element present in it that just boils down to blind luck when trying to improve times? That is, if played by the original 'intended' no-hud ruleset. The parameter itself is cool, but not the category imo.

j4rio said:

I don't know, what's there to appreciate about the crapshoot element present in it that just boils down to blind luck when trying to improve times?

This is main reason I stopped attempting Respawn demos.

Aqfaq said:

How about respawn combined with tyson?

sounds like luckfest. You cross your fingers that the pistol dewds spawn ASAP in every map instead of pinkies and stronger ones.

Looper said:

sounds like luckfest. You cross your fingers that the pistol dewds spawn ASAP in every map instead of pinkies and stronger ones.

You still speedrunning Looper? I loved your demos.

j4rio said:

How about instead of 100% kills and secrets the requirement would be changed to 100% items and secrets?

Mmm.. Another stupid category? Who will do it?
- Collect all 'health bonus' and 'Armor bonus'
- Super wonderful if you have over 100% armor but you must grab 'Green Armor' in this case.
No one work with -respawn category. Maybe better offer something like -respawn + -fast + tyson + reality and call it like: UV JustForFun?
//In tyson you can use only 3 weapons and must kill all monsters. -_- what a? UV-MAX + -Respawn? Maybe combine UV-MAX with Pacifist? What? I know such demo.. Amm Doom E2M2 demo by Kristian Ronge FYI.

You don't need to take armors for items%. The idea is that you can't just run through level nor need to farm kills, it's not any more stupid than current ruleset. Also, your ideas are gibberish.

@Cyber

That's the main problem. Hud makes a gigantic difference in the category. All c-n demos were recorded without it.

You know a category is broken with the smart HUD makes it like twice as easy.

we all know that respawn should be scrapped in favor of legit categories, like pacifist-100s and uv-collector