Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Strengthof10kbabies

A Doom styled demonic invasion in modern times

Perhaps there is an old thread out there based with this idea, but how would our modern society handle/react to a Doom styled demonic invasion? Would human civilization be completely wiped off the face of the planet? Would bands of survivors even have a remote chance of fighting back? Or could our modern day military completely obliterate hordes and waves of demons?

The Doom novels give us a general idea of how it would work in reality, but I'm talking about if the demons functioned like they did from the actual Doom games. Would their slower projectiles and their highly aggressive behavior be their ultimate undoing? Or would our modern military bases be completely overwhelmed by an unknown enemy, that modern day forces have never combated before.

I guess that leads to a series of sub-questions. Would an A-10 rip a cyberdemon to pieces? Or perhaps can a 5.56 round stop an hell knight or a demon with resilient, toughened skin from all the hell exposure?

Finally, how screwed would we be if the demons invaded were in fact well orchestrated and equipped? Technologically superior with advanced modern day armaments? (IE like in brutal doom, A spider mastermind with their own vulcan cannon and advanced targeting systems and cyberdemon missiles that behaved like real missiles)

Perhaps I gave this too much thought, but I'm curious to see if I could get some answers from a military perspective.

That would have been a question for CoD version of DOOM 4.

Now that it's gone... the world may never know.

The only weapon the demons seem to have that really works to their advantage, is their ability to teleport directly onto their target, quite literally catching everybody in their sleep, and engaging in melee combat ASAP. Infinite ammo/no need to reload, no care about losses etc. would also give them a massive tactical advantage.

However, in a longer, attrition battle, the humans' mobility and organization would prevail, if enough of them were left standing and had access to adequate ammo and weapon supplies. So to speak, the demons would be at a long-term strategic disadvantage, and they make lousy defenders.

Think about it, most Doom maps pit the player in a "you vs everybody" situation, where the monster are occupying some place, and you have to hunt down and kill every one of them, overwhelming them with firepower and mobility. Slowly but steadily, the monster population goes down (even if there are 5000 or so in a map), and you're a winner. Meh.

No wonder that the most terrifying and frustrating maps are those that restrict the player's movement with architectural constraints or subject him to constant pressure from teleporting monsters, ambushes, traps etc., which IMO would be more realistic in case of an invasion.

It's one thing slaughtering 5000 monsters in an open arena with a BFG. Imagine having to track down 5000 monsters one by one in narrow, dark corridors, and with the constant threat of teleport traps or monster closets. Not so easy now, eh?

Maes said:

...having to track down...monsters one by one in narrow, dark corridors...monster closets...

Hey, it's Terror from the Deep :P

My logical, rational brain prevents me from providing an answer other than "demons don't exist in real life".

Maes said:

(even if there are 5000 or so in a map), and you're a winner. Meh.

I sincerely doubt one guy can kill 5000 demons irl.

MFG38 said:

My logical, rational brain prevents me from providing an answer other than "demons don't exist in real life".

Which is probably why it would be so successful to begin with. The mass confusion and disbelief thus putting people in shock. Truth is stranger than fiction, Y'know.

Hoodie said:

Depends, is he inside an M1A1 Abrams? or, say, some sort of attack helicopter?

Hmm. I've never thought about doom as if the aliens are invading (even though the story says so), since doomguy usually walks around in an unknown environment, triggering stuff. To me, it has always felt like doomguy is the invader.

Hoodie said:

Well...that has some sort of truth to it. Picture this scenario: replace "zombies" or "demons" with "unarmed but very pissed off people that will rip you to shit with their bare hands if they catch you, and are not afraid to catch lead and die".

Let's also say that you can carry all the weapons and ammo that your strength allows you to, and that you can find more by roaming around in a restricted area of about 2 square miles (approx. the maximum extent of a Doom map).

Certainly, if you were simply surrounded by those 5000 demons and couldn't run as fast as Doomguy can, you'd simply manage to shoot down maybe a few dozens of them (maybe even a few hundred, if you used explosive weapons like grenades or anti-personnel RPG), but in the end I think the "demons" would close in anyway and kill you in a very horrible way.

In a vehicle, you might have better chances but a lot would depend on the terrain and the kind of vehicle. I always wondered about how thick a line of people you could pierce through with a speeding -regular- car, before you were slowed down and had to stop. Perhaps your best chance would be to barricade yourself in a building.

...now that I think about it, a "reality mod" which would put several constraints on the player's mobility and ammo/weapon carrying capacity and pit him against such an overwhelming pressure, would be terryfying. Maybe Doom 3 with Doom 1/2 numbers of monsters ;-)

If one person would have to do that, they'd have to wear the suit from the new DOOM, THEN that person can take down 5000+ Demons. Though, Why not Instead of one, just make up a team similar? It'd be pretty badass to rip and tear with others Instead of ripping and tearing and having to jack-off alone, that sounded strange and completely weird, but that doesn't matter. You're a lone Soldier fighting Demons!

Hoodie said:

I MUST KILL THE DEMONS

NO, U WILL BE KILLED BY DEMUNZ!

God, why must I remind everyone of that Fanfiction.

No plasma weapons puts us at a great disavantage for one thing. Since our most devastating weapons in this day and age involve explosives in one way or another, and Cyberdemons and Masterminds are imune to the actual blast of explosions, using them would just be wasteful.
And considering the fact that the hellspawn wiped out all of these highly trained futurisic marines with advanced weapons and powerful armor in Doom 1 and 2, I don't think they'd have any problem with modern marines who still wear kevlar.
Also, no berserk packs. How are we suppose to RIP'N TEAR that way?

HorrorMovieGuy said:

No plasma weapons puts us at a great disavantage for one thing. Since our most devastating weapons in this day and age involve explosives in one way or another, and Cyberdemons and Masterminds are imune to the actual blast of explosions, using them would just be wasteful.
And considering the fact that the hellspawn wiped out all of these highly trained futurisic marines with advanced weapons and powerful armor in Doom 1 and 2, I don't think they'd have any problem with modern marines who still wear kevlar.
Also, no berserk packs. How are we suppose to RIP'N TEAR that way?

Like I said, they'd have to come up with a Marine suit related to DOOM 4's Doomguy.

Or you could just go "Shaun of the Dead" style and pretend to act like said zombies/demons by blending in:

Tritnew said:

If one person would have to do that, they'd have to wear the suit from the new DOOM, THEN that person can take down 5000+ Demons.

Uhmm..have you seen what happens to the NEW DOOM MARINE in the end of the teaser demo, right?

Spoiler

He gets his arm torn off by a revenant and is beaten to a pulp with it

Maes said:

Uhmm..have you seen what happens to the NEW DOOM MARINE in the end of the teaser demo, right?

Spoiler

He gets his arm torn off by a revenant and is beaten to a pulp with it

Ah, Right. xD; Eitherway, It was probably just a scripted cutscene or something. That or a Death Animation. Either way, Anyone would be OP In a suit like that anyway.

Tritnew said:

God, why must I remind everyone of that Fanfiction.

lol I brought it up though.

Hoodie said:

lol I brought it up though.

Yeah, but the reference was a little Eh. It's an amazing Fanfiction and I'm not joking. Let's not be off-topic for now though.

There's some series of novels which very elaborately deals with an invasion from hell on modern society.

Hell gets completely wrecked and then subjugated.

There is no contest military-wise. The demons would have a hard time destroying even a few Abrams tanks. They would also get obliterated from the sky with no way to fight back. And let's not forget the ability of modern militaries to use cruise missiles or even tactical nukes.

^ So the whole premise of Doom is bullshit? Hmm...

It really seems that the only way they could have achieved ANY military victory at all, would be to literally teleport inside military installations and simply stab/slice/burn everybody they found. That's the only way they could've captured entire bases. As I said before, relying on surprise and massive overwhelming, bringing the fight to almost hand-to-hand combat, would be the only way.

They seem able to do that, and also "carpet bomb" themselves over their target, as is described in Final Doom TNT: Evilution. In that way, they could overwhel barracks, airfields, even aircraft carriers, but they'd have little chance against already deployed troops.

VGA said:

There is no contest military-wise. The demons would have a hard time destroying even a few Abrams tanks. They would also get obliterated from the sky with no way to fight back. And let's not forget the ability of modern militaries to use cruise missiles or even tactical nukes.

That Abrams tank would go kablooey after it gets immobilized by an imp lodged in its hitbox and gets scratched a couple hundred times.

Maes said:

^ So the whole premise of Doom is bullshit? Hmm...

It really seems that the only way they could have achieved ANY military victory at all, would be to literally teleport inside military installations and simply stab/slice/burn everybody they found. That's the only way they could've captured entire bases. As I said before, relying on surprise and massive overwhelming, bringing the fight to almost hand-to-hand combat, would be the only way.

They seem able to do that, and also "carpet bomb" themselves over their target, as is described in Final Doom TNT: Evilution. In that way, they could overwhel barracks, airfields, even aircraft carriers, but they'd have little chance against already deployed troops.

Mixed with a Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind, It'd be a nightmare for a Military base, there'd be gibs, gibs and more gibs.

you must also think about the societal effect of a total hell invasion, anarchy and chaos would reign after the first small town gets overwhelmed... Think of the rioting and looting as demons randomly attack population centers and such. Fear would probably be a key factor, hell, they would probably even attack at night just to freak us out more... Kinda spooky if you think about it.

Salvation War: http://www.tboverse.us/HPCAFORUM/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8334&sid=a3ad28166c6a74ed08aa35749080dace

This is the definitive story of demonic invasion.

“There might be quite a few of those Mister President.” Secretary Rice was carrying a mass of message flimsies. “We’re getting messages from other countries right now. First one is from Mr. George Yong-Boon Yeo, Minister of Foreign Affairs in Singapore. Apparently a demon landed there, carrying a demand for Singapore’s submission.”

“What did he do?”

“Nothing Sir. The demon’s demand was wrapped up in some sort of parchment and he dropped it on landing. Littering is a serious offense in Singapore Sir, and the Singapore police riddled the demon with bullets and then beat it to death. Anyway, Mr. Yeo says that Singapore’s going to fight and they’d appreciate our help.”

“He’s got it. Who else?”

“Another one landed in Bangkok, Thailand. That one didn’t get very far either. It wouldn’t bribe the police at a checkpoint to let it through and then it got stuck in the Bangkok traffic jams. The Army blew it away. With tanks. Apparently, local street traders are selling bits of demon to the tourists. Anyway, same message from the Thais, they’re going to fight and they’d appreciate any help we can send, only they’re adding if we need any aid, we only have to ask.”

“Nice of them. Well, people, it looks like the war has started. Let’s try to do a better job this time round, right?”

^^ Read that, very well written and captivating. But IMO, it's far from a given that humanity would face such a threat as a unified entity, and that every human faction would see the demons as a threat to themselves or something that can be fought against.

It's almost certain the demons would find even supporters among certain humans, ready to betray the human race if tempted with promises of a privileged position, demonic power, etc., or if they believe the demons can be negotiated with (e.g. to destroy only their enemies, in exchange for help or even human technology).