Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goosepants

Question about arch viles

The level "hunted" in final doom. On YouTube I saw a guy stunning arch voles with a super shotgun. When I shot them close it didn't work. What's the trick?

There is a random element: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Make sure the full spread hits the arch-vile for best odds. It will still only work around two thirds of the time.

• The SSG can do 20 hits per shot.
  • The archvile has a painchance of 10/256 (3.91%).
Even though you're doing a 20d255, you're actually doing angle->damage->painchance (bloodsplat is somewhere in that mix), so at least 4 different rolls in a row, 20 times, on the same RNG table. It's entirely possible to consistently hit high numbers as a result, skipping the painchance for each hit. In ZDoom/derivatives, each type of RNG call uses its on table and seed, but also a different PRNG generator, the Mersenne Twister, and thus it's entirely possible to once again consistently hit high numbers.

I don’t know if it’s canonical but I found that when I shoot an arch-vile with the SSG at the right moment and close enough, it stops attacking me.

Hoodie said:

You have to chainsaw them. It negates their attack, trust me.

Nice avatar, what a game.

Fuck arch-viles. Especially in custom wads where they get slapped in the middle of nowhere with no cover.

SSG stunning has about a 60% chance of working, assuming all pellets hit. There was a map which was based on getting this to work most of the time, as you often had no cover (it was all based on 1-on-1s with archviles).

vadrig4r said:

Fuck arch-viles. Especially in custom wads where they get slapped in the middle of nowhere with no cover.

Honestly my fav monster, just because of how scary they look, and truly deadly they can be. Don't plan ahead and you can be trapped in the open. I mean, what other monster can do that? (other than the obvious hitscanners)

vadrig4r said:

It's usually my avatar for things but I had to wait till 250 posts on here. Thanks though.

Goosepants said:

I saw a guy stunning arch voles with a super shotgun.

Man, just when I thought I knew all of the Doom monsters, I keep hearing about new ones!

JudgeDeadd said:

Man, just when I thought I knew all of the Doom monsters, I keep hearing about new ones!

Yep - nasty little brutes hunt in packs. Usually starts with a few sneaking up behind you with the intention of sinking their fangs into your achilles tendons, once you're incapacitated the rest of the pack swarms over you like furry piranhas. Steel-shod boots and a sack full of wildcats will usually keep them at bay.

Yeah, arch voles are definitively doom cannon.

And their squeaks...GOD those SQUEAKS! Their alert sound is a gentle, almost undetectable tiptoeing, but then the SQUEAKS start getting more frequent, and yet almost impossible to judge how far they really are. Their SQUEAKS chew into your very soul long before their sharp teeth start nibbling at you flesh.