Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lvangundy

Why do I think there's a secret on E1M1?

I'm 99% positive I played a version of Doom with a secret in the first room to the left on E1M1 behind the right pillar. Am I crazy? I feel like if there's a secret and someone replies here I'm going to feel really dumb because I'm going to say "ohh that's right. It's from xx. I'm dumb".

Was it on the SNES port? Or multiplayer E1M1?

Well, since Ultimate Doom there's a switch ON one of the pillars, which really does open a wall near the starting point, but not where you indicated. Maybe that's what you were thinking about? However, it's not marked as a secret (I think).

The SNES port did not have any secrets over there from my time playing it.

Your imagination must be playing tricks on you. The closest to reality you're going to get on that is the November 1993 build of the level where that entire room was secret and the connector bit was originally the armor alcove.

Amusingly enough, you can still see the DOORTRAK texture as well as the lower-unpegged flags where the secret door used to be.

Lvangundy said:

I do remember that the wall is textured like that but you can walk right through it.

Wild guess: You are getting it confused with this secretly passable wall from Doom 2 MAP11. Look how similar to your screenshot the place is:

Huh, what are you guys talking about? The secret is there for me, as it always has been.

scifista I think you solved it. It also brings up how similar these maps are, weren't they both authored by Romero?

Ugh, now I'm more confused. I think what happened is that at some point I played a DM match many years ago on MAP11 and may have also played DM in E1M1 in the same session and mixed them up.

Nice one Fredrik - you actually had me going for a second.

I once played a wad on one of the shovelware cds that had a modified e1m1 with a "secret" in or around there. It was mostly just an ugly tunnel with lots of monsters crammed in it. I forget the name of the wad. Terminator maybe?

I had those discs so maybe that's where I saw it. I don't remember monsters, so it was probably MAP11.

40oz said:

I once played a wad on one of the shovelware cds that had a modified e1m1 with a "secret" in or around there. It was mostly just an ugly tunnel with lots of monsters crammed in it. I forget the name of the wad. Terminator maybe?

Fredrik said:

Huh, what are you guys talking about? The secret is there for me, as it always has been.

pics

Interesting, every time I open that secret, all I can see is Discs of Repulsion.

In the XBox version there's an exit to a very shitty secret map that you access by humping a specific wall.

But it's not that one.

Doominator2 said:

Ya I have the secret too, you had to preorder it back in the day for the preorder bonus.

It also came with Exclusive Ingame Contentâ„¢: a hyper-magnum pistol, BFG content with 600 ammo from E1M1 and Day 1 DLC for the much anticipated custom content terry.wad. CONTENT.

scifista42 said:

Wild guess: You are getting it confused with this secretly passable wall from Doom 2 MAP11. Look how similar to your screenshot the place is:

http://i.imgur.com/B8ZuxwD.png

I like this. Impressive piece of deduction.

40oz said:

You might be thinking of Dminator. The name is similar, and there is such a tunnel, stuffed with monsters, leading to the area outside the surrounding windows. But the tunnel opens opposite the door to the computer console room, round the corner, so it's not quite in the right area.

RjY said:

You might be thinking of Dminator. The name is similar, and there is such a tunnel, stuffed with monsters, leading to the area outside the surrounding windows. But the tunnel opens opposite the door to the computer console room, round the corner, so it's not quite in the right area.

It reminds me when I discovered Doom Builder, I started to mess with IWAD maps.

Gothic said:

It reminds me when I discovered Doom Builder, I started to mess with IWAD maps.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who have ever done that.

Less off: I better NOT be talking about ANY non-existent secrets throughout E1M1, or any UDoom maps. I had it enough with a possible "Doom CreepyPasta" candidate nightmare o'mine.

peach freak said:

(guess the WAD!)

I can't precisely, but your HUD tells me it belongs to Doom 2.

Kinda like this, I distinctly remember the switch room in map 2 to have two bar doors, the red one on the right and a silver one on the left. Maybe it was my young mind playing tricks on me or something.

Also is there some sort of version of sharware doom with different monster sounds? I noticed some differences after I played the regular version of Doom. (Though that was a while ago.)

Cell said:

I can't precisely, but your HUD tells me it belongs to Doom 2.

Not that I doubt your investigative technique, but how exactly did you figure this out from just the HUD?