Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

"Multiplayer" section on DW revival?

Would you like to see a Multiplayer section?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Multiplayer section?

• Yes, I love coop, deathmatch, survival, CTF and more!
    • No, I have zero interest in that stuff.

Last time I really played multiplayer was against John Romero in a LAN tournament. Apart from that, I haven't really played properly online for years even though I keep on playing Singleplayer in UV.

DWANGO5 Map01 and Exec were always great to play on servers.

I personally am a huge fan of Dwango 6 map01, but I (and several other hosts) currently have a Dwango and EXEC server up. Would love to see you there some time!

I notice that Doom Editing got it's own little subsection for Tutorials! It would sure be great if Source Ports got a subsection for Multiplayer ;)

Threads like these deserve a proper home:

Tutorial
Questions about ST/Zandronum
CS/Choco questions
Choco Doom/DS help
Problems with MP
New Odamex Servers
Seeking Players
+All those MP-oriented news posts!

(Yes, I'm going to be an annoying butthole and push for this, but only because I think it will prove useful for quite a few of us!)

terminus12 said:

Just had some ggs with doomkid on odamex :)

I'm glad I joined in a few rounds too

To everyone who attended the Miano's Deathmatch ZDS eariler today, it was a fucking blast! There was about 12 people playing on some of the larger maps and those skins were goddamn hilarious :)

Doomkid said:

To everyone who attended the Miano's Deathmatch ZDS eariler today, it was a fucking blast! There was about 12 people playing on some of the larger maps and those skins were goddamn hilarious :)

Indeed it was! I Frapped the entire thing (22 GB) and the video will be uploaded soon.

EDIT: Check it out :)

JKist3 said:

A multiplayer section has my support!

You were one of the finalists at the 20th anniversary doom competition right? I remember watching some of the matches

terminus12 said:

You were one of the finalists at the 20th anniversary doom competition right? I remember watching some of the matches

Yep, he was

^^ Yup that's me.

A couple things regarding this proposed multiplayer section:

1) I'm interested in multiplayer stuff but miss many of the multiplayer threads because I'm not that active on the doomworld forums. This is because it's a pain to sift the multiplayer stuff out of the sea of non multiplayer doomworld threads. I and hopefully others would be more active in these threads if they were grouped together in an easily findable section.

2)

Linguica said:

There was a Multiplayer forum before and it was a ghost town. We've talked of reviving it, but we're concerned it would just be a ghost town again.

I don't know when you last tried a multiplayer section but the multiplayer scene has changed a lot over the past few years. ZDaemon used to have a near monopoly on doom multiplayer and their forums were the place to go for multiplayer discussion. As a result, I'm not surprised that a doomworld section at that time would have generated few threads. Times have changed though. The ZDaemon forums have dried up and there really isnt a place to go to for doom multiplayer stuff. The best I can think of are the WDL forums, but those are pretty specialized and don't really fill the full niche. Furthermore, the ZDaemon forum decline was due to administrators running their playerbase outta town, not from lack of player forum interest! Granted the scene has withered away over a few years of this situation, but it seems possible some of this interest could come back with a doomworld forum section.

3) What's the actual cost and effort involved in setting this up? Why not try it for a few months? If it's a ghost town, then remove the section. I don't really see the downsides here...

Thanks for the voice of support, JK3! I still really think this would be a great way to generate more interest for the Deathmatch scene. Having one unifying place for all varieties of DM lovers would be fantastic, rather than being fragmented into our own little islands :(

Ling has given me permission to bump this old thread. I'm hoping the idea will get some more consideration, it would be fantastic to have a place to gather regardless of port preference.

I have plans to start up bi-weekly Dooming events too, mainly for Deathmatch play, but all gamemodes would be covered. This would give me a great place to make announcements about it!

I really like the idea of setting stuff up through here; so good on ya Doomkid!

Looking forward to another Deathmatch some time :)

As it is, DOOM's multiplayer scene feels kind of scattered about and seperated.
Doomseeker and Zdaemon are really the only things connecting it all.
A little forum for us to discuss different servers, gamemodes, etc., would be really nice.

Doomkid said:

Ling has given me permission to bump this old thread. I'm hoping the idea will get some more consideration, it would be fantastic to have a place to gather regardless of port preference.

I have plans to start up bi-weekly Dooming events too, mainly for Deathmatch play, but all gamemodes would be covered. This would give me a great place to make announcements about it!

I can see you as a moderator for a Multiplayer section of Doomworld.

Oh damn, thanks for the support guys. As long as we have someone who will prevent drama, just generally keep it under control but still allow it to be fun, that's all that really matters to me.

Hopefully more people will vote / chime in!

If this does get integrated, I there are some stickied threads that would be immediately necessary: Threads for Zandronum, Zdaemon and Odamex events such as FNF, ZDS and Nitro respectively, threads for WDL and IDL events, and one with the multiplayer Doom tutorial certainly wouldn't hurt, either. In fact, I think it would be great if other users could expand on the tutorial and add new things as they come.

Any other stuff that doesn't fall into those categories, like random meetups, casual coop and deathmatch play, ideas for community projects, questions about how to connect to/start servers, etc etc would just warrant their own new threads.

Just a few ideas on how to get this organized, I think if done properly it wouldn't be a ghost town like it was in the past.

Why hello there, moderator :)

EDIT: Btw, as one of the people spamming up news with multiplayer events, what do we do now? Do we crosspost in news and the new area, or keep it to the multiplayer section only?