Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Louigi Verona

The Gunslinger

Hey everyone!

MAP01, compatibility level 2.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozswxiq972fm6gf/gunslinger.wad?dl=0

This is a map where you should not be standing - moving constantly is key!

I feel that this is the first work where I was able to utilize all the useful feedback everyone sent me on this board. I think this map is challenging in good ways, non-linear and the layout gives monsters a proper advantage.

Anyway, I really hope you guys will enjoy this little adventure!

You should get on the railing at the point where the lamp is and walk along it right to the entrance to the second floor of the building with the red key.

I do not mean to make it cryptic, if necessary, I can make the stairs to the railing more apparent.

No, I think he means after you get to the second floor of the building. The red key is on a shelf above your head. The only way to reach it is by jumping.

Also, you can't get 100% kills. The furthest object on the left side of the map is a Caco stuck out in the skybox.

Otherwise, very enjoyable.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

No, I think he means after you get to the second floor of the building. The red key is on a shelf above your head. The only way to reach it is by jumping.

Also, you can't get 100% kills. The furthest object on the left side of the map is a Caco stuck out in the skybox.

Otherwise, very enjoyable.

You can get the key in prBoom+. Should be lowered for cross-port compatibility though.

Louigi Verona said:

You should get on the railing at the point where the lamp is and walk along it right to the entrance to the second floor of the building with the red key.

I do not mean to make it cryptic, if necessary, I can make the stairs to the railing more apparent.

I was able to get there, but on GZDoom and I wasn't able to the get the key but in PRBoom yes. Lowering the sector where the key will be enough to fix.

I liked the map. Small with and with a fair ammount of action. The cacodemons coming from outside the playable area was a nice touch. I liked also the textures work and surrounding scenery, and adding some more curves to it would be even better. I think that the computer area is a bit oversized and there's space for some more monsters. Anyway, good job!

Guys, thanks for the red key sector tip, will lower it (I am using prboom+, so did not have such a problem). And I am glad the railing thing is clear.

Also, big thanks for the Cacodemon hint, will get it out (or perhaps remove it, since I feel that there are enough cacodemons on the opening battle.

I like the map, layout-wise. Good height variation, solid use of "substructure" building in an open area, etc. Seems Valiant-inspired. :) It was easygoing but mostly not tedious.

The two things I'd change about the combat:

1) The baron. The hell nobles aren't really threatening in wide-open spaces like that. Alfonzo has a great post on baron usage I recommend reading. Whenever you want to place a baron, ask yourself if the map wouldn't be better off with two hell knights (same amount of HP, a lot more threat) or even a single more threatening mid-tier monster (like a revenant, mancubus, or 'tron). Or even an imp (for a sufficiently non-threatening baron, placing an imp and taking away 1000 HP worth of ammo can preserve the difficulty while removing the tedium). Here a revenant would have worked great.

2) The 'trons wake up and make their way to the small building with the imps, where the optimal strategy is just plinking away at them from above while they are non-threats. Also there isn't a lot of ammo in the level, and the chaingun is acquired later on, so some of that involves pistol fire. I'd recommend having the 'trons teleport in when the player drops down or something like that, or putting one or both of them up on a small ledge that can only be seen when the player drops down.

Hey rdwpa!

You are a keen observer of style! This was indeed influenced by Valiant, MAP03, one of my favs in the series. I do not particularly like to play Valiant maps as they are too difficult for my taste, but the layouts are wonderful. The idea to put cacodemon outside of play area comes from this map too.

Of course, the map eventually became something original, but the inspiration is clearly there ;)

1. Read the baron usage. I do agree, although this depends on how you play the map. When I play it, many times I am stuck with a baron and cacodemons following me. So this seems like an okay variant. Also, while not too threatening, I would say that this map's strength in terms of gameplay are not necessarily large threats, but the open easy to maneuver space which makes many lines of attack available to monsters. I found that this Baron, not easy to kill off quickly, adds to the intimidation of the platform that would otherwise be very easy to navigate.

But I will perhaps try a couple of Hell Knights in Baron's place.

2. I would agree that trons are not too threatening, although they might shoot at you while you are doing the imps and the chaingunners. I will think about this part of the map.

3. My problem, though, is with the latter battles on the map. When you have a choice which door to open first - red or blue - opens a set of interesting possibilities and I wonder if more can be done there. I am satisfied with the room that has a rocket launcher. I think it is a solid room, that let's out a fair number of monsters and has a surprise chaingunner waiting for you.

But the computer room is a different story. I really like how Dead Souls behave on this map, they shoot out forward and fly out far away, then return - I think pretty challenging. But I wonder if I should add more monsters when the button is pressed and columns descend.

File updated. Fixed the red key thing, also changed the position of the trons, now one of them sits closer to the building with the red key, on the lower platform of the yard.
Tried replacing trons with something else, did not make much difference, tbh. But I think it is fun shooting them down.

Removed the stuck cacodemon.

Replaced Baron with two Hell Knights. I agree, I think this is a good change, this part became more lively and less tedious, at the same time not keeping the grounds on top devoid of any challenge.

Also added a couple of Former Humans to the computer area, but so far no other changes.

New file is at the same link.