Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The 1st Gamer

Windows 8.1 Performance

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a new MSI laptop with windows 8.1 and I was curious if anyone here knows how Doom 3 (retail, non-steam) works on it. I could just install the game as I do own it; however, if it is known to be buggy I would prefer not to. In particular, I recall a freeze/crash that would occur in Alpha labs when I walked into a room with gas in it I think. Does anyone know if that crash is still present when running in windows 8.1? Thanks!

I've installed it fine on my laptop with windows 8.1, the only problem I have is I cant for the love of patty change the resolution do anything but 640x480.

So does it work? (if your able to change the resolution please tell me, I wanna play doom 3 at something higher than 640x480) :(

Sorry, I haven't installed it yet. I was meaning to tonight, but I got distracted. Anyway, I should have it installed sooner rather than later hopefully and will get back to you with my findings. Cheers.

Doom3, as of the 1.3.1 patch, works perfectly fine on Windows Vista onwards, including 8/.1/10. Screen resolutions and all.
While it would make no sense anyway (such a crash is vastly too specific for an OS to be the cause of), I can confirm there is no crash in Alpha labs.

Doominator2 said:

So does it work? (if your able to change the resolution please tell me, I wanna play doom 3 at something higher than 640x480) :(

I just installed Doom 3 and ran into the same problem. After restarting (even with 1.3.1) the resolution changes beyond 640x480 do not stick. To fix this you can apparently force a resolution by going into the console and typing:

r_customwidth 1920
r_customheight 1080
r_mode -1
vid_restart

This forced the resolution change for me.

I do have another problem though. The mouse movement feels a bit behind and it is tremendously annoying. Does anyone know a fix to this?

Also, remember to change the aspect ratio.

r_aspectRatio x

0 for 4:3
1 for 16:9
2 for 16:10
3 for 21:9 (but only in Phobos ;) )

Shaviro said:

Also, remember to change the aspect ratio.

r_aspectRatio x

0 for 4:3
1 for 16:9
2 for 16:10
3 for 21:9 (but only in Phobos ;) )

Thanks! Any possible knowledge about how to fix my slow mouse problem in doom 3?