Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mickmaus

Blocky Buildings as maps [Image heavy thread]

Excuse if this is in the wrong section!

Not techincally a wad yet but I'm interested in buildings and environments that are reminiscent of doom architecture; things that could be almost fully recreated with sector-based construction or parallel a lot of the brutalist blocky stuff that happens there.

Not posting this?

This would make an awesome setting with a Megasphere and Cyber at the bottom. A better version of the famous troll wad.

neubejiita said:

Not posting this?

https://beirutblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/stepwell.jpg

This would make an awesome setting with a Megasphere and Cyber at the bottom. A better version of the famous troll wad.

I'm actually WIP on a map inspired by those stairs already, for me PAR chops. They turn out to be a nice and playable way to wrap up the sides of a four sided pyramid...

neubejiita said:

Not posting this?

https://beirutblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/stepwell.jpg

I made a start on that a few years ago, then put it to one side while researching the pavilion and balconies, as well as coming to grips with multi-level 3D architecture.

(1440x900 - 432k)

"Brutalist architecture" is a big keyphrase to reflect the title of this thread. Here are some quick searchengine results, using Safe Finder. Finding more shouldn't be hard:

Hey, just stopped by my mom's house in the suburbs and took some photos of 'interesting' architecture there. Obviously these are old blocky buildings but not so much in the SUPER COOL category, more just makes me wonder about their construction and intention...
-
-
There's a level of awkwardness to these containing things like dentist offices and bridal shops that reminds me of the strangeness of virtual worlds like doom.

-
-
-
Lots of detailing here

close up

-
-
-
This type of super flat water feature is soooo a sector-based trick!

I don't even map but I absolutely love this thread. Some of these buildings and pictures are truly awe-inspiring works of art!

God, I'd love to see Ed work wonders with some of these images. The factories in particular would be pretty awesome to see.

There’s that Tumblr, Architecture of Doom. I don’t know how much it’s connected to actual Doom—was it any inspiration or what—but it fits to the topic.

I like this brutalism quality of Doom engine.

Sometimes I see some Doom kind of building in the street and tell it to my wife and she just sighs. “You see Doom everywhere,” she says then amused. But there is more of us, as I see now.

Krazov said:

There’s that Tumblr, Architecture of Doom. I don’t know how much it’s connected to actual Doom—was it any inspiration or what—but it fits to the topic.

I like this brutalism quality of Doom engine.

Sometimes I see some Doom kind of building in the street and tell it to my wife and she just sighs. “You see Doom everywhere,” she says then amused. But there is more of us, as I see now.

In the FAQ he writes: "The idea of the blog was to post mostly architecture that is often seen as bleak/gloomy/forbidding/desolate/unfortunate and totalitarian architecture. The name comes from a documentary with that name (Undergångens arkitektur is the original title in Swedish) about the Nazi aesthetic."

So not really doom-related but still inspirational. When i travel around I always take pictures of places that I think could become doom levels.

Angry Saint said:

When i travel around I always take pictures of places that I think could become doom levels.

Post them, please.

Here a random selection:

Maybe it is difficult to recreate these buildings in vanilla doom, but something can be done in zdoom with 3d bridges. I was inspired also by the setting and atmosphere. In some cases I just liked the details, for example the stairs&windows in the 5th picture.

In the second picture I liked the decoration below the balcony.