Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

Nerves of Steel Remake (Playtesting)

GET IT HERE

Last year I did a sort-of longplay of the worst fps ever made: Nerves of Steel. It's even worse than the likes of Rahz's Revenge or the Fortress of Dr. Radiaki, because some of the levels are actually broken and prevent you from completing the game. Everything about it is wrong: texture design, texture usage, map layouts, and ohhhh the glitches. EVERYTHING has its own little glitch or three. In short, it's an unplayable mess.

So I started a weird project to remake it in the Doom engine, and actually make it fun and interesting and playable. I dunno if I'll finish it, but I'd like to.

NOS Remake

If nothing else it'll serve as an interesting exercise in adaptation. If you squint hard you can see the similarities between the first two maps of the original and those of the remake. For example, the three-doors room of map 2 in the original (4:20) versus its equivalent in the remake (4:33).

I couldn't find Korean voice clips for the enemies though, so I may change the villains' nationality to Japan. I'm not gonna try to pass off Japanese as Korean.

That giant chaingunner was awesome. Are there going to be a variety of mid-tier+ monsters with interesting behaviors (revs, 'trons, mancubuses, archies, PEs being Doom's)?

There's a few I haven't shown yet, though the cyborg enforcers are probably the most interesting, since they're derived from realm667's heaven guard: they dodge your shots and flee if they take enough damage. If I do the full three episodes like the original game, there'll be a monster or two unique to each episode: ep2 has an abundance of hideous mutants, and ep 3 is when the dictator's black ops show up. Almost all of the monsters have equivalents in the original game.

For anyone who cares, Version 1 is finished. Includes the zip file containing everything required to run the game (just drag it onto zdoom) and the pdf instruction manual.

Detailed feedback is requested and appreciated, since this is only version 1.

EDIT: Updated to 1.1 today. Some of the Ep3 doors were inconsistent, Keyconf method of player class implementation somehow made its way in there, and hopefully when you run out of ammo you switch to the bayonet instead of the grenades.

I forgot to mention: all the maps have been set to allow two-player co-op, but none have been tested for it yet.

Crap, I knew I forgot something. The video in this thread was an old one. I'll add the new one in the next couple minutes.

Posted a playlist of the whole mod to my youtube channel, if anyone is sick of video samples of the first map.

Download link in the OP has been updated to 1.3, basically fixing the elevators on certain maps so that nobody gets trapped in a two-player game.

VGA said:

I like the remake much better :D

Thank god. If people liked the old one better, I'd be very sad...

Yeah what is up with the original? Why is the player going through ... walls? Are they supposed to be doors?

Apparently their engine was so broken they couldn't get moving sector objects to work 90% of the time, so they just used "iron curtains" instead of doors. Super Adventures In Gaming had a more favorable experience than most people who play it. I had the displeasure of playing it through to the end...sort of. A broken teleporter and a missing key prevented me from completing the final levels of E2 and E3. What a joke.

According to another guy who actually finished the game in its entirety, Angst: Rahz's Revenge is the worst FPS ever made, but since DOS Nerves of Steel seems selective about who is allowed to beat it and who isn't, I still beg to differ.

Version 1.4 is available for download. New boss monster by Yuraofthehairfan, and a few map tweaks.

NinjaLiquidator said:

Good job! Overall you could give player more ammo. One mistake - turrets shouldnt block player. Also weapon 6 - where is it from?

Turrets shouldn't be blocking the player unless you're playing in zdoom with "infinitely tall sprites" on, or playing on anything but zdoom somehow, which you really shouldn't be. The mod is Zdoom only (or maybe gzdoom).

All the game assets are from Realm667, including Weapon 6, the Plasma Repeater. The original NoS had a super-powerful minigun-type weapon that used energy cells as ammo, so the Repeater was a really nice stand-in.

EDIT: EMERGENCY UPDATE! Just realized there was a graphical glitch resulting from the new boss monster being added. Fixed in 1.5.

NoS is undergoing thorough playtesting, and I'm uploading minor changes as we go. Eventually version 2.0 will be out will all bug and map fixes (hopefully; probably most of them, anyway).

Currently all redundant secret sectors should be removed, so 100% secrets on every map should now be possible.

Version 2.0 has been released, hopefully with all bugs and design flaws fixed. Secrets also shouldn't be as obvious anymore.

EDIT: Crap, I coulda sworn my last post was a day or two ago. My internal clock is fucked I guess. Sorry for the double-post, but there IS a new download anyway.

Well crap, I don't know what happened there. Maybe wordpress didn't save my changes for some reason. Fixed now.

I am having a hard time finding all the secrets as well as one last enemy in Map 04: Cyber Center.

I got the Blue Armor, the Soulsphere and the Energy Cell Pack. What am I missing?

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I am having a hard time finding all the secrets as well as one last enemy in Map 04: Cyber Center.

I got the Blue Armor, the Soulsphere and the Energy Cell Pack. What am I missing?

Interesting...you missed what I thought was the most obvious of all the secrets. Maybe it's harder to spot than I thought!

Backtrack to the first few rooms and eventually you'll find that last enemy. It's guarding something that'll help you find the last secret.

Okay, after watching your video walkthrough on Youtube, I finally managed to locate that elusive final enemy and the secret rocket launcher he guards... sort of. I am still not exactly what I have to do to make the panel turn red and become a shootable trigger. :S

Also, I still cannot find the last secret.

Updated to 2.1. Basically just replaced the main gun sounds to be less harsh on the ears, and made a few other miniscule tweaks.

Version 2.2 has minor changes.

- Restored the original doom font for menus, since it was inconsistent before. The megawad now has a motley crew of fonts, but at least they're consistent where they're used.

- New difficulty setting names and messages. Here's how the second boss map plays on Fuck Mountain difficulty.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Does nos22.pk3 contain all the necessary files or do I have to use it in combination with the other wads?

It should have everything you need, and shouldn't need any of the previous versions. I just started using pk3's again for the sake of player convenience.