Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doom 2 Redux (Mapset Complete. Beta Release Incoming)

Currently working on map06 The Crusher, which is so far my only entry in this project. Also working on polishing one of my earliest maps, which could potentially become one of the secret maps.

The Crusher will have a playable version ready some time in the weekend. I don't know, when/if the secret map gets done, it's not a priority.

I'm all over that "Circle of Death" mapslot, got a great idea for that one. Hope you don't mind rough n' ready 1995-style maps!

I don't have any completion dates atm but I started MAP05 but I would also like to do MAP16 and MAP28 as well if you don't mind?

I'd love to make a map for this project, but as I haven't played much of doom II yet that wouldn't go too well, so I could playtest instead?

What needs playtesting?

EDIT: I tried entryway because it was labelled as needing to be playtested. I like it. It feels like the original entryway (short and sweet).

I really like its design. The only flaw I can really find is the tree in the secret are clips the platform and looks a bit weird at some angles.

(Playtested using zandronum)

MAP02 appears to be using unknown textures not within the PWAD file (waterfall textures from Plutonia as well as some unknown flats).

scifista42 said:

Needs GOTHICTX pack, as stated in the OP. (although with a typo in "GOTHICTX")

Ahh gotcha, I hadn't noticed that and had assumed that any textures required would have been bundled with the maps as a temporary measure.

The Inmost Dens should be completed by the weekend... or next week. It's currently the biggest map I've worked on solo (but it's not that large). The catacombs should be done this month, and the chasm next month.

All my levels will probably just stick with stock textures.

Tactical Stiffy, those slots are yours. I like your enthusiasm.

Wildmajora, thanks you for the insight, I will move the tree to a better spot. Also, I like your name if it's a Zelda reference. Also, anything that needs to be playtested can be found in the original post next to the map name.

Actually, the potential secret map I talked about is done already. Mostly. It's balanced around a pistol start, so maybe we can have a death exit for map15's secret exit?
It takes around 15-20 minutes to complete with 100 % kills, items and secrets (yeah).

I tried to recreate the first hub of Quake 2 in Doom from memory, since I used to play Q2 a lot, and this is the result. I added a secret exit too, but it's probably just a placeholder for now...
The entire level was made in Doom 2 format, but the added secret exit uses a Boom-conveyor belt.

Map slot 31 for those who are wondering.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0r3a8gep4upsvwe/Q2HUB1_in_Doom.wad

I'm gonna playtest map 2 later today, then could I maybe take map 7 (dead simple) to do?

EDIT: Do I need a partner? I'm not sure if I count as a beginner or not. I've been mapping a lot longer than I've had this account.

Wildmajora said:

I'm gonna playtest map 2 later today, then could I maybe take map 7 (dead simple) to do?

EDIT: Do I need a partner? I'm not sure if I count as a beginner or not. I've been mapping a lot longer than I've had this account.

Dead Simple is yours!

ArchvileHunter said:

Actually, the potential secret map I talked about is done already. Mostly. It's balanced around a pistol start, so maybe we can have a death exit for map15's secret exit?
It takes around 15-20 minutes to complete with 100 % kills, items and secrets (yeah).

I tried to recreate the first hub of Quake 2 in Doom from memory, since I used to play Q2 a lot, and this is the result. I added a secret exit too, but it's probably just a placeholder for now...
The entire level was made in Doom 2 format, but the added secret exit uses a Boom-conveyor belt.

I just woke up, still paying in bed. It's seven AM where I'm at. So I'll play test it when I get out of bed, and I like the idea for dying to get there.

Sorry, quick question.

Is 'limit removing' boom format, so as long as I map using that format in doom builder and test using boom I'll be okay?

I normally use UDMF but I assume that's not compatible enough.

Report on our (Vizyeay and SuperCupcakeTactics) wad, we are:
Working on: Map09 / The Pit
Currently working on: Map09 / The Pit
We think the map will be done within the month

I've been doing doom2 format. But some people said they were doing boom.

To be completely honest, I still don't know what in the hell boom is. So I'll just say do it in doom2 format.

TraceOfSpades said:

To be completely honest, I still don't know what in the hell boom is.

Boom was a port that introduced advanced features like extended and generalized linedef actions and removed vanilla's static limits. Many modern ports are based on Boom. "Boom format" in a map editor allows the mapper to use Boom features and expects that the map will be played in a Boom-compatible port. In this day and age, playing in PrBoom-plus port with -complevel 9 (Boom compatibility level) is a popular way to play Boom maps.

"Limit-removing" means that vanilla's static limits don't apply, which allows basically unlimited amounts of detail on screen. The term "limit-removing" is typically used when people talk about pure vanilla format (without Boom features) while disregarding vanilla's static limits. In PrBoom-plus, limit-removing compatibility = "-complevel 2".

"Boom" is already limit-removing by its nature. The term "Boom" is typically used when people talk about maps where Boom-specific features were used. In PrBoom-plus, Boom compatibility = "-complevel 9".

So, the distinction is there, and you should better decide for sure whether you allow Boom features or not. If you don't, then all maps should be playable with PrBoom-plus -complevel 2. If you do, then all maps should be playable with PrBoom-plus -complevel 9. Playtesting maps in their intended lowest compatible port and complevel is a must-do when verifying their actual compatibility. If they don't work correctly with the intended complevel, it means that they don't fit the intended compatibility.

scifista42 said:

Boom was a port that introduced advanced features like extended and generalized linedef actions and removed vanilla's static limits. Many modern ports are based on Boom. "Boom format" in a map editor allows the mapper to use Boom features and expects that the map will be played in a Boom-compatible port. In this day and age, playing in PrBoom-plus port with -complevel 9 (Boom compatibility level) is a popular way to play Boom maps.

"Limit-removing" means that vanilla's static limits don't apply, which allows basically unlimited amounts of detail on screen. The term "limit-removing" is typically used when people talk about pure vanilla format (without Boom features) while disregarding vanilla's static limits. In PrBoom-plus, limit-removing compatibility = "-complevel 2".

"Boom" is already limit-removing by its nature. The term "Boom" is typically used when people talk about maps where Boom-specific features were used. In PrBoom-plus, Boom compatibility = "-complevel 9".

So, the distinction is there, and you should better decide for sure whether you allow Boom features or not. If you don't, then all maps should be playable with PrBoom-plus -complevel 2. If you do, then all maps should be playable with PrBoom-plus -complevel 9. Playtesting maps in their intended lowest compatible port and complevel is a must-do when verifying their actual compatibility. If they don't work correctly with the intended complevel, it means that they don't fit the intended compatibility.

Well, that being said, yes. Boom format is fine. Thank you, Scifista.

The OP still states "Format: Doom2" and "This is a limit removing project. Boom compatible.", which are misleading claims. Everybody should understand it properly if you change it to "Format: Boom" and "This is a Boom compatible project.", or replace both statements with a single one "Compatibility: Boom" or "Compatibility: Boom (PrBoom-plus -complevel 9)".

Hey when SuperCupcakeTactics and I finish map09 can i go ahead and do (or reserve) Tricks and traps? It's my second favorite map, and i have a few ideas for it, I would like to do it on my own.

vizyeay said:

Hey when SuperCupcakeTactics and I finish map09 can i go ahead and do (or reserve) Tricks and traps? It's my second favorite map, and i have a few ideas for it, I would like to do it on my own.

Tricks and Traps is yours!

So for dead simple, I should probably make it at max 3 areas, short and brutal. Do I have to use mancubi and arachnotrons?

I've playtested underhalls. Definitely feels like the original. Lift nice idea. Door design at bottom of lift seems a tad too hellish for map 2. Hitscan fortress quite hard on UV but managed to complete by being tactical. There is a large possibility of getting caught on the torches in the corridor near the red key. Also in that corridor is a white gate texture on the floor that seems out of place?

The method to get to get the secret seems a bit counterintuitive. A linedef triggers the platform moving but the switch near it doesn't seem to do anything? Also (on first run through) I accidentally triggered the exit before I wanted to. (Perhaps the exit trigger could be when the player presses use on the door).

Apart from that, I like it a lot.

Wildmajora said:

So for dead simple, I should probably make it at max 3 areas, short and brutal. Do I have to use mancubi and arachnotrons?

I've playtested underhalls. Definitely feels like the original. Lift nice idea. Door design at bottom of lift seems a tad too hellish for map 2. Hitscan fortress quite hard on UV but managed to complete by being tactical. There is a large possibility of getting caught on the torches in the corridor near the red key. Also in that corridor is a white gate texture on the floor that seems out of place?

The method to get to get the secret seems a bit counterintuitive. A linedef triggers the platform moving but the switch near it doesn't seem to do anything? Also (on first run through) I accidentally triggered the exit before I wanted to. (Perhaps the exit trigger could be when the player presses use on the door).

Apart from that, I like it a lot.

The "switch that does nothing" does actually raise a floor in a sector that is intentionally inaccessible. I did this so that when you hit the switch, it looks like it is causing the secret lift to activate. I built the map in Doom2 format, so there wasn't an S1 action for "floor moves up and down". All for the sake of aesthetics.

As far as the white gate texture, I'll check it out. I'm not certain what you're talking about. I'll also change the exit method to what you suggested. I like that idea.

As far as Dead Simple goes, feel free to use whatever monsters you wish. The only condition is that it plays similarly and is aesthetically comparable. I want to give the mappers involved in this project as much freedom as I can. I would personally still throw in a few mancubi and spiders just for the sake of throwbacks. But do as you wish, I look forward to seeing it.

Dead simple shouldn't take too long - it's only a small map.

With your dummy secret switch, may I suggest that you make the switch impossible to flip without activating the actual linedef? I hit that switch a few times but often went back the way I came so didn't actually activate the secret.

The Crusher is done!

What I am most concerned about is the difficulty. This level is very rough on UV, but it should be managable for semi-experienced doomers on HMP and newbies on HNTR.
I tried to make a big difference between skill levels, so I highly recommend playtesters try the map on both HNTR, HMP and UV.

Map slot 06, of course, Boom compatibility.

EDIT: Third version:http://www.mediafire.com/download/w2nar0isb2gzxad/The_Crusher_redux.wad

Wildmajora said:

Dead simple shouldn't take too long - it's only a small map.

With your dummy secret switch, may I suggest that you make the switch impossible to flip without activating the actual linedef? I hit that switch a few times but often went back the way I came so didn't actually activate the secret.

That would be a great idea. But I don't know how to do that. So instead, I'll just make the linedef action surround the switch, so if you do press it, whether you walk all the way through or go back the way you came, you've activated the linedef action.

@Archvilehunter - Where's the exit to your map? lol, I can't find it, and I want to make my map entrance the same as it (for continuity)

Also, how do you get across the nukage 'moat'? I found that piggy bcking the spectres across works. Is that what I'm meant to do?

Wildmajora said:

@Archvilehunter - Where's the exit to your map? lol, I can't find it, and I want to make my map entrance the same as it (for continuity)

Also, how do you get across the nukage 'moat'? I found that piggy bcking the spectres across works. Is that what I'm meant to do?

Oh, the exit signs disappeared... Must have been a ctrl + z mistake. The exit is on the lift in the easternmost room.
At full speed you can cross the moat pretty much anywhere.

Third version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/w2nar0isb2gzxad/The_Crusher_redux.wad

ArchvileHunter said:

Just started playing, had to stop prematurely because my girlfriend just showed up. But here are some issues I came across. The first is a texture alignment issue (unless it's intentional, seeing as it activated a secret.)

And the other is a hallway with no nukage in it that damages the player when they walk through it.

ArchvileHunter said:

The Crusher is done!

What I am most concerned about is the difficulty. This level is very rough on UV, but it should be managable for semi-experienced doomers on HMP and newbies on HNTR.
I tried to make a big difference between skill levels, so I highly recommend playtesters try the map on both HNTR, HMP and UV.

Map slot 06, of course, Boom compatibility: EDIT: New version:http://www.mediafire.com/download/4qakmqcj83dsx8q/The_Crusher_redux.wad

I absolutely love the architecture of this map. The difficulty is, however, way too high. I have been dooming for years, and I died three times on hurt me plenty. Definitely tone down the monsters on the upper floor. You know...this area.

That trap is just too much. Also, I thought that the Hell Knight that just appears in front of the switch was a nice touch...but a teleport would look better. Having it just appear out of nowhere makes it look like a glitch.

Change absolutely nothing as far as architecture goes! This map is beautiful.