Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doom 2 Redux (Mapset Complete. Beta Release Incoming)

Work on map 20's going well, I just need a few tips gameplay wise.

My map is heavily based on the spider/cyber battle. I've got 2 cybers and 2 spiders on UV, each in their own alcove. (I've got invincibility around so it shouldn't be too cheap.)

What's the best way to use two spider masterminds in the same area without massive infighting? Infighting's meant to be the best way by far to defeat them but I'd like to make it somewhat challenging to make them fight each other. It's far too easy at the moment.

I think that as long as it's possible, it will probably always be easy for a player who knows how infighting works and is determined to make it happen, which he certainly will be. I recommend using just 1 Mastermind instead of 2. The other solution would be to restrict their movement in a way that they cannot hit each other due to lack of direct line of sight between them anywhere.

Wildmajora said:

Work on map 20's going well, I just need a few tips gameplay wise.

My map is heavily based on the spider/cyber battle. I've got 2 cybers and 2 spiders on UV, each in their own alcove. (I've got invincibility around so it shouldn't be too cheap.)

What's the best way to use two spider masterminds in the same area without massive infighting? Infighting's meant to be the best way by far to defeat them but I'd like to make it somewhat challenging to make them fight each other. It's far too easy at the moment.

Place them at different heights.

ArchvileHunter said:

Okay, Bloodfalls is ready for its first public release: http://www.mediafire.com/download/f5sb5q36yh4dpft/Bloodfalls_redux.wad

The map is divided into 5 areas like the original: The start, outdoors, marble, cave, and metal. From the start you can go to either the metal, marble, or cave areas. Each holds a key. When all 3 are used at the outdoor ruins, the exit is revealed.
The map is quite a bit longer than the original, and a fair bit tougher as well. Don't panic! There are dozens of ways to approach this map. Maybe try a different path next time. And if you ever feel stuck, like you can't get out of an area? Try pressing some things, maybe stuff will happen.

I recorded a 40-minute FDA and accidentally overwrote it when I wanted to replay it. -_-

The FDA was as long as it was not because I died (or came close), but because I spent quite a lot of time wandering around not sure how to proceed. I was surprised the map was as easy as it was, because you play Doom reasonably well.

1) Too many of the fights are of the "kill the meat in front of you, harmlessly" variety. The YK area in particular is full of these. In the rocky path to it, you can just hide there and clear out the ground monsters harmlessly, so it ends up being sort of a time-wasting affair. The imps don't put much pressure on you so killing them is tedious. Likewise, the caco/HK/rev fights leading into each archvile wing don't have much of a point. Camping is very easy in general. In the first fight in the BK arena, for example, the player can stay in those little radsuit-containing areas if he wants (not that it's necessary, given that there's so much space to move in the main area). I think more than half of the monsters in this map could probably be eliminated with a net gain in fun.

2) Health is excessive. I think you can cut down on quite a lot of the medkits/stimpacks and a couple of the powerups. The map would be more suspenseful that way, even if you don't change a lot of the monster composition.

3) Damaging floor consistency. Maybe the blood should be universally poisoning. That would put more pressure on the player, especially since you have a bunch of teleporters in the RK area. The fight in the YK wing would be better, too, if the player had to strategically choose when to soak in a bit of damage.

4) Those stalagmites are blocking and interfere with jumping in the RK area when infinite tallness isn't turned off.

5) The RK/BK areas could use more lighting contrast. The YK area was fine in this regard.

rdwpa said:

I recorded a 40-minute FDA and accidentally overwrote it when I wanted to replay it. -_-

The FDA was as long as it was not because I died (or came close), but because I spent quite a lot of time wandering around not sure how to proceed. I was surprised the map was as easy as it was, because you play Doom reasonably well.

1) Too many of the fights are of the "kill the meat in front of you, harmlessly" variety. The YK area in particular is full of these. In the rocky path to it, you can just hide there and clear out the ground monsters harmlessly, so it ends up being sort of a time-wasting affair. The imps don't put much pressure on you so killing them is tedious. Likewise, the caco/HK/rev fights leading into each archvile wing don't have much of a point. Camping is very easy in general. In the first fight in the BK arena, for example, the player can stay in those little radsuit-containing areas if he wants (not that it's necessary, given that there's so much space to move in the main area). I think more than half of the monsters in this map could probably be eliminated with a net gain in fun.

2) Health is excessive. I think you can cut down on quite a lot of the medkits/stimpacks and a couple of the powerups. The map would be more suspenseful that way, even if you don't change a lot of the monster composition.

3) Damaging floor consistency. Maybe the blood should be universally poisoning. That would put more pressure on the player, especially since you have a bunch of teleporters in the RK area. The fight in the YK wing would be better, too, if the player had to strategically choose when to soak in a bit of damage.

4) Those stalagmites are blocking and interfere with jumping in the RK area when infinite tallness isn't turned off.

5) The RK/BK areas could use more lighting contrast. The YK area was fine in this regard.

Thanks for the feedback. What skill level were you playing? Would be nice to know so I don't wreck balance unintentionally.
I've already made some changes, I didn't update the download because I wanted more feedback.

1) I do know some of these fights are quite boring and they will be reworked. The walls blocking the rad-suit alcoves were actually added pretty late, because I wanted less skilled players to have a fighting chance. I'll think about this.

2) Again, I would like to know which skill level you were playing. TacticalStiffy was actually complaining about lack of health.

3) Already fixed this.

4) Will look into that.

5) I'll see what I can do.

Hello.

New here. Can I join? I could try to do something to MAP10. I have some plans how to replace it..
I have done some maps in past, never released any of them.. Im familiar with DoomBuilder and boom-format. Thought probably going to do something quite vanilla.

muumi said:

Hello.

New here. Can I join? I could try to do something to MAP10. I have some plans how to replace it..
I have done some maps in past, never released any of them.. Im familiar with DoomBuilder and boom-format. Thought probably going to do something quite vanilla.

Welcome aboard. When you have a playable demo of Map10, post it here and I'll add it to the list. Take your time and make it pretty. We all look forward to your submission.

Just a quick update.

Gotcha is going very well. Just noticed today that the blood on the original map surrounds the 'fortress' and I'm trying to emulate that a bit more.

Just got to build the exit, texture and populate and then I'll be done.

Shouldn't take too long. Will hope to get it out for testing very soon.

Also, is lava appropriate on map 20? I want the massive moat that covers the map to consist of lava that has leaked out of the furnace (the exit) in some way. I know it's still an earth map, but the original seems pretty hellish to me.

Wildmajora said:

Just a quick update.

Gotcha is going very well. Just noticed today that the blood on the original map surrounds the 'fortress' and I'm trying to emulate that a bit more.

Just got to build the exit, texture and populate and then I'll be done.

Shouldn't take too long. Will hope to get it out for testing very soon.

Also, is lava appropriate on map 20? I want the massive moat that covers the map to consist of lava that has leaked out of the furnace (the exit) in some way. I know it's still an earth map, but the original seems pretty hellish to me.

It Should be ok, the original actually does have lava in it. It also has blood too.

Trace, since no one took it already I'd like to work on Map 15: Industrial Zone. I'm gonna hold on the Chasm till Map 15 is done.

Is there a 'lavafall' texture? Otherwise I'll have to use the final boss's brain texture, which looks alright but could be better.

Or could I add a custom one? Alien vendetta's got a good one.

Wildmajora said:

Is there a 'lavafall' texture? Otherwise I'll have to use the final boss's brain texture, which looks alright but could be better.

Or could I add a custom one? Alien vendetta's got a good one.

I was pretty sure GothicTX had lavafalls.

Wildmajora said:

It doesn't seem to.

If you have a texture pack that has lavafalls, go ahead and use it and just post a download link to the pack here.

Tactical Stiffy said:

Hey Trace Sign me up for monster condo please. I would like to do that one first before the spirit world.

Done and done, Stiff.

Don't worry about that texture pack. I've managed to extract the lavafall textures from Alien vendetta. I've animated them using an ANIMATED lump and stuck them into my wad. It's compatible with boom so shouldn't lower overall compatibility.

Tactical Stiffy said:

The Gothictx once replaces one of my favorite textures: Fireblu

I've done a bit of research into textures and stuff, and it seems pretty easy to re-add it if you so wish.

Did my map fit into any slot? Just for curiosity... or if it can be used (after tweaking, of course, using WhackEd and D_SOMTHG for music)

I'm drawn to do map 13, I'll take that as well. I guess working on another city map won't hurt. Don't forget about map 22 btw, it's gonna need playtesting.

I felt like this thread needed to be bumped. Here's a small update on my part.
I'm half way done with map 13 and made a bit of map 15. I don't know when either will be finished.

Map 13 will have its own textures and fitting track to go with it.
Here's a few screenshots of map 13:

I'm gonna take a short break from these levels for a while to work on my own stuff. But these levels will be submitted soon.

Looking good, man! Thanks for the update!

Does anybody else have an update?

Also, I am still looking for assistance on my Icon of Sin.

Map 17 start and central area:

I'm making each room as it comes so there's still a fair way to go (around 20% done). I will be recreating some form of key door lock trap in the final version, for example. The other rooms i've began work on aren't quite as 'close' to the original map.

I've only really got these main rooms complete enough to show so far... everything will be more intertwined and detailed once complete. In a bid to keep it more true to the original i don't intend on creating any crazy architecture detailing or texture modding (hope this is wasn't expected!), and the map should run in vanilla once complete (it's ok so far on the DOOM95 executable).

scotty said:

Map 17 start and central area:

http://i.imgur.com/u1jgFxM.png
http://i.imgur.com/tzE8yVH.png

I'm making each room as it comes so there's still a fair way to go (around 20% done). I will be recreating some form of key door lock trap in the final version, for example. The other rooms i've began work on aren't quite as 'close' to the original map.

I've only really got these main rooms complete enough to show so far... everything will be more intertwined and detailed once complete. In a bid to keep it more true to the original i don't intend on creating any crazy architecture detailing or texture modding (hope this is wasn't expected!), and the map should run in vanilla once complete (it's ok so far on the DOOM95 executable).

That looks legit. Awesome job.