Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doom 2 Redux (Mapset Complete. Beta Release Incoming)

Ok cool. I think at least for Map17 i'll keep the original track... i'm too used to it.

I made another revision to that map too, please update links and so on. The final area got some changes to make it a bit better of a challenge plus i fixed some bugs, added some touches here and there, etc etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ci4xwlcjedr7vv0/scottyv5.wad?dl=0

Alright, got a testable version of MAP10 done.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z3mhmgk3kkbt60c/muumi_map10.wad

If someone could take a look and give some feedback, that would be pretty nice. Especially criticism for monster placement/overall gameplay would be cool. I am personally kinda happy with the map, but I am really not sure if its up to project's standards. So any opinions about map are really welcome. I have only used stock textures, so no need to google Gothic-pack :)

No skill levels done yet, just UV.

I have not been very active with this project.. I will try to comment more from now on.

Also is using Boom's Scroll Move-action okay? I have used it at the end. Just little bit fanciness to exit corridor.. Not necessary and can be easily removed if needed.

TraceOfSpades, I've played your Map01, and found a bug: You can jump out of the window to the secret area, from where you cant come back unless you have found that sercret.(if you opened the door from the other side). Otherwise, i find that map kinda cool, I like the teleporting between the 2 dimension, but i dont really see why you have player1 things in the hell dimension.

Ninehills42 said:

Hi, Map09 also done.
Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0v5oe64omi1l45m/The_pit.wad?dl=0
(I wanted to upload it to MediaFire, but an error occured, and it doesnt work)
Custom music: nope
Textures: Vanilla and Gothictx
Difficulty settings: Later...

Some screenshots:
http://i.imgur.com/sDauMQE.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/AJLUGxP.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/89k0Cd8.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/DtHSWqS.png

That looks tasty.

So does yours, Muumi.

Ninehills42 said:

TraceOfSpades, I've played your Map01, and found a bug: You can jump out of the window to the secret area, from where you cant come back unless you have found that sercret.(if you opened the door from the other side). Otherwise, i find that map kinda cool, I like the teleporting between the 2 dimension, but i dont really see why you have player1 things in the hell dimension.

I thought I put impassable tags on those windows...I'll check it out.

Also, the player one things are there to fuck with your head. Like, imagine you being teleported to hell and seeing yourself. You'd freak out.

TraceOfSpades said:

I though I out impassable tags on those windows...I'll check it out.

Also, the player one things are there to fuck with your head. Like, imagine you being teleported to hell and seeing yourself. You'd freak out.

Ah.. I didnt think about that. Makes sense.

Ninehills42 said:

Textures: Shoudl be only Vanilla now

In the pool where the plasma gun is, you used WFALL1 which isn't stock on Doom2.wad, but it doesn't really matter.

I did give your map a playthrough. My honest thoughts on it...

By fuck it is tough, even accounting for my not finding the BFG on my attempt - easily the hardest map in this project that i've played, so maybe it might be worth toning it down a fair bit given the map09 slot? The first, large, square area just felt like something from a slaughter map, i found myself just running around waiting for the infighting to thin the enemies out before i could go on the offensive. The precarious area past the blue door was a real pain in the ass! It took me a lot of attempts to navigate the pillars how they are... i just got pissed off with it and noclipped through each time - maybe my platforming sucks but Doom isn't a platform game anyway heh. I also can't see the point of that hidden teleporter linedef next to the red door (in the plasma gun area), it just meant having to backtrack and deal with that pillar area again... Ammo was pretty tight throughout the whole map as well given the enemies that you threw out there. Maps don't have to be damn hard to be fun remember :)

Hope this feedback doesn't come across as harsh, but hey, it's better to make sure everything is good so the final project turns out great. Your map does have potential but it does need work imo.

I also gave map10 an (incomplete) attempt before i had to get off the pc and go take care of something else... first impressions i liked the aesthetic and atmosphere, it did feel like a big refuelling base with the huge fuel containers etc etc, and the ammo balance felt good from what i got through. I found a missing texture where there's a lift going up to where a rocket launcher is available. I didn't appreciate being thrown a PE straight away with no ammo or good weapons, it's just annoying haha. Also the long damaging floor corridor/secret passage might be good to have a rad suit available somewhere, maybe at the end, cause that megasphere isn't obvious and without getting it that passage is just detrimental to health. I'll try to complete the map properly to offer some more opinions to try to help improve the map.

scotty said:

By fuck it is tough, even accounting for my not finding the BFG on my attempt - easily the hardest map in this project that i've played, so maybe it might be worth toning it down a fair bit given the map09 slot? The first, large, square area just felt like something from a slaughter map, i found myself just running around waiting for the infighting to thin the enemies out before i could go on the offensive. The precarious area past the blue door was a real pain in the ass! It took me a lot of attempts to navigate the pillars how they are... i just got pissed off with it and noclipped through each time - maybe my platforming sucks but Doom isn't a platform game anyway heh. I also can't see the point of that hidden teleporter linedef next to the red door (in the plasma gun area), it just meant having to backtrack and deal with that pillar area again... Ammo was pretty tight throughout the whole map as well given the enemies that you threw out there. Maps don't have to be damn hard to be fun remember :)

Thank you for the feedback, some thoughts:
-Ah i see what you mean. Ill replace some mancubus with hell kinghts.
-I think i will change the Texture of the BFG secret
-The pillar room was originally harder, I changed it to this then, I think its not that hard, remember that u can use the starting platform as a lift, and the floor is only dealing medium dmg (I might change it to low dmg, depending on the other's opinion).
-After teleporting back from the red door, The pillars are much easier to deal with, since you can just use the mentioned lift.
-I might change some Baron hells to Hell knights in the corridor room.
-When I played the map, Ive never experienced that the ammo given is not enough, even without finding the BFG or the backpack. I might add some shotgun ammo depending on the other's opinion.

Overall, since this is the first version, I'am very opened to change basicly anything, so thank you for the feedback again!

Okay, so I decided to nerf the map a little bit:
-I didnt touch the 1st room.
-Down in the opened area i changed 2 mancubus to 2 hell knights and changed the texture in the BFG secret so it can be found more easily.
In the corridor to the blue key I changed all 4 baron of hells to hell knights, added 20 shotgun ammo and 5 rockets.
-In the yellow key opened area I changed a hell knight to an imp.
-Red key room hasnt been touched

I think thats all for now. Ammo should enough without any secret found.

Ninehills42, played your map. (New version)

I did not have ammo problems. I had bunch of cells/rockets etc left at the end. Found backpack, but no BFG. Cant really say about difficulty, I have played more than few hard maps before.. The platform-room was quite painful though. Keep medium damage lava, but maybe make pillars bit larger?

Oh, and was bit surprised to see my map at the end already :)
I was thinking to make some starting room fitting to your ending though. Starting map in corridor feels little boring. I forgot to mention when posted my map.. Just make whatever ending without my corridor and I will figure out something, okay? :D

scotty said:

I also gave map10 an (incomplete) attempt before i had to get off the pc and go take care of something else... first impressions i liked the aesthetic and atmosphere, it did feel like a big refuelling base with the huge fuel containers etc etc, and the ammo balance felt good from what i got through. I found a missing texture where there's a lift going up to where a rocket launcher is available. I didn't appreciate being thrown a PE straight away with no ammo or good weapons, it's just annoying haha. Also the long damaging floor corridor/secret passage might be good to have a rad suit available somewhere, maybe at the end, cause that megasphere isn't obvious and without getting it that passage is just detrimental to health. I'll try to complete the map properly to offer some more opinions to try to help improve the map.

Oops, was so sure I fixed that texture earlier. Damaging tunnel. Yeah, I should probably put rad suit there at the end. (There is hidden rad suit in megasphere room, but if players dont find the room in first place its not much use)

muumi said:

Ninehills42, played your map. (New version)

I did not have ammo problems. I had bunch of cells/rockets etc left at the end. Found backpack, but no BFG. Cant really say about difficulty, I have played more than few hard maps before.. The platform-room was quite painful though. Keep medium damage lava, but maybe make pillars bit larger?

Oh, and was bit surprised to see my map at the end already :)
I was thinking to make some starting room fitting to your ending though. Starting map in corridor feels little boring. I forgot to mention when posted my map.. Just make whatever ending without my corridor and I will figure out something, okay? :D

I think the corridor ending is not that bad, there are a few maps with the same kind of ending :)
Also the pillar room is just a question of practicing, i might change the medkit at the start of the pillar room to a berzerk or something, just so you wont run out of healths while falling down again and again :D

Btw I fixed 1-2 textures on my map, I think its coming to a final version soon (hopefully) :)

Muumi. I just finished playtesting Map 10 (UV). Overall the level was great. It reminded me of Map 12 from Sotapoika in a way. Great layout and balancing, and it was pretty difficult.

There's only a couple things I noticed that needs changing. Firstly Scotty already mentioned missing texture by the rocket launcher lift, but also the lift after the cyberdemon fight does -10% damage.

And while these are just nitpicks, some of the Bronze4 textures need to be aligned, and I don't advise having the cyberdemon hear directly in the starting area. Though they aren't that important.

Chasm progress. Some areas are more complete than others. Yeah i went there with the 3d bridges once i saw i had no hope of making this layout vanilla compatible, haha. Gonna try and cut down on the TANROCK5 spam, it's everywhere!

Spoiler

Not too far from a beta release i think.

scotty said:

Chasm progress. Some areas are more complete than others. Yeah i went there with the 3d bridges once i saw i had no hope of making this layout vanilla compatible, haha. Gonna try and cut down on the TANROCK5 spam, it's everywhere!

Nice looking map there!

scotty said:

What made you realize it's not possible to make the layout vanilla-compatible?

nxGangrel said:

Muumi. I just finished playtesting Map 10 (UV). Overall the level was great. It reminded me of Map 12 from Sotapoika in a way. Great layout and balancing, and it was pretty difficult.

There's only a couple things I noticed that needs changing. Firstly Scotty already mentioned missing texture by the rocket launcher lift, but also the lift after the cyberdemon fight does -10% damage.

And while these are just nitpicks, some of the Bronze4 textures need to be aligned, and I don't advise having the cyberdemon hear directly in the starting area. Though they aren't that important.

Thanks. Ill fix those couple mistakes. I will look what I can do with bronze4:s. I might even change some of them, they are kinda annoying to use.. About cyberdemon, what is best practice to awake monsters in teleport hatches?

walter confalonieri said:

So, what is missing here, only the secret maps?

Is still good if it's already released?

I'd rather it not be something that's already released.

muumi said:

About cyberdemon, what is best practice to awake monsters in teleport hatches?

Not entirely sure what is the "best" way, but what I would do is either soundproof the room the monster will teleport in, and place a monster or monsters to make you trigger the cyber. Or, I would make a small hidden opening where the cyber could see you, and trigger the teleport. The cyber would have to be deaf or the room would have to be sound proof for this one though.

SotaPoika said:

What made you realize it's not possible to make the layout vanilla-compatible?

When i ran visplane explorer in GZDB a little while ago. It's too late to overhaul the main area now!

TraceOfSpades, are you keeping the map31 I submitted as a candidate to the project?

If yes, would it be possible to list it as is on your main post? I wouldn't mind a bit of exposure and hopefully more playtesting to improve it and increase its chance to be selected.

tomatoKetchup said:

TraceOfSpades, are you keeping the map31 I submitted as a candidate to the project?

If yes, would it be possible to list it as is on your main post? I wouldn't mind a bit of exposure and hopefully more playtesting to improve it and increase its chance to be selected.

Sure, I can make a submissions sections. That sounds like a good idea. Repost the link, I don't want to search for it.

scotty said:

When i ran visplane explorer in GZDB a little while ago. It's too late to overhaul the main area now!

I think you are ok it's supposed to be boom compatible now anyways.

Tactical Stiffy said:

I think you are ok it's supposed to be boom compatible now anyways.

Correct. Scotty, you should be fine.

ALSO, ALL MAPPERS:

I have found a way to fix the link problem in the OP, but I'll need everyone to send me their most recent WADs in a private message so I can update. The OP is showing a lot of empty slots right now, and they will remain empty until I am PMed the files.

Thank you in advance!

I myself dislike the 3d-stuff being used in Doom. Maybe I'm just too purist (but not with limits though), but I'd try to design it somehow so it's screaming vanilla in design. Why not make just a platform with gaps that are no problem if sprinting? Add some higher walls/obstacles on opposite sides so player isn't accidentally running off the edge. Just ideas. :)

Also, any special wishes for MAP12? I was thinking of starting tomorrow to work on the map and get it "Final" during the weekend. I have some optimization (visibility) to do there at least: noticed 128+/128 in two spots, so I'm gonna see how to fix those.

TraceOfSpades said:

Correct. Scotty, you should be fine.

ALSO, ALL MAPPERS:

I have found a way to fix the link problem in the OP, but I'll need everyone to send me their most recent WADs in a private message so I can update. The OP is showing a lot of empty slots right now, and they will remain empty until I am PMed the files.

Thank you in advance!

When I finish up MAP28 I'll send em all. I'm about 85% done.