Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doom 2 Redux (Mapset Complete. Beta Release Incoming)

Wish I could join in, but sometimes I have a shitty memory so I can't really recreate a level.

Whenever it comes out though I'll totally give it a playthrough.

^Might still be in luck, Tritnew. You can always design a secret level that can be any non-hell design you want. It wouldn't be based on the wolf levels at all.

Wouldn't mind doing Wolf levels anyways, but sure man! I'll be happy to join in on the project.

Hope it's alright if I can use some custom music as well, I found this one Cisco hold music and thought it'd fit for a nice cave-themed secret level.

THAT'D BE BAD ASS FOR MAP31! You can access it by finding a secret elevator that goes down! Fuck yeah, do that shit!

Custom music is welcome.

Sure thing, glad custom music is allowed too. :V

I'll get started on drawing it out.

Here's what the layout for my Map 31 submission looks like.

I blocked out the one puzzle and secret for the sake of making it a surprise. Most of it is a WIP at the moment.

I was debating on whether or not to make it all take place underground, but I decided to go with a Quake feel and making it as a castle of sorts.

I guess a elevator to some dimension at this point?

EDIT: I tested it with both GLBoom and PrBoom, and it looks like the map is a extremely buggy mess on both source ports.

I'm pretty much going to figure out how to fix the buggy-ness that's filled in the map when I finish the map.

I didn't really like the direction the map (M19 - The Citadel) was heading towards (the one I showed you before), so I went and remade the whole thing from scratch. This is 3rd time for the map already and will be the last one. Here's new overview of it:

It's almost fully blocked out when it comes to playable areas and main layout. I got sidetracked at times to try out some details to see what kind of theme I'd like to have, so it took some extra time. Next up, is to make the starting building and then start creating the logic for all the interactive stuff. Right now map is pretty much doorless, switchless and liftless. Also, no items or monsters there yet.

For theme, I was thinking of something like this:

Once an old big stronghold, renovated and reinforced by humans to fit their needs as one of their base of operations against hell's forces. Eventually got overrun, which is why some of the areas look a bit unearthly already, giving a hint that hell is taking over the place.

I have been thinking a lot how the map's really large and traveling around the whole thing takes time, which could get quite tedious. That's why, I thought this map needs some sort of "quick-travel" system. So, let me present you:

"The UAC's Evil-Eye Portal"

This portal will throw you to the opposite portal in another "hub" at the corner of The Citadel, which makes it way faster traveling those long distances. :)

Also, I got some super basics laid down for gameplay and layout. You guys can try it out and see what I got so far. Just remember, it's far from finished. Lots of areas/rooms are just there without any function yet. Also, it's very possible to get stuck in some areas because they're missing stairs, lifts or teleports.

Download:

Spoiler

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1hF6VkkYcUBODJKQ05XMVh6bUU/view?usp=sharing

^That looks pretty cool dude. Can't wait to check it out.

EDIT: Pretty empty, but I saw that there's 10 monsters in the map.

Overall though, I like the layout of it. I think what'd do the last area good would be a monster trap too.

Alright, so I officially started to make a new level for my Map 31 submission, it's still in rough shape but I'll give you guys some screenshots after I've added in more to it.

Tested it in both DOOM Retro and Zandronum, and they don't turn into a buggy mess. Haven't tested it in Boom however. But I'm sure if it works in Retro, it'll work in Boom.

Sota, the evil eye thing was a nice touch! I look forward to trying that map.

Trit, I can't wait to try yours either.

Here's what I got done so far!

The starting area:

The inside of the throne room:

The exit:

(Will be hiding the blue key in an obscure place, there'll be two exits: one to exit the level normally, and this one here to go to the second secret level).

Outside:

It's gonna be pretty challenging, so use those medikits and armor bonuses wisely.

I just couldn't stand my older version of the map before, it was a buggy mess and it didn't look as good as the one I showed you guys here.

I'll be posting a download link for the WAD tomorrow. Will be working on the finishing touches tonight, adding in to the area some more, and making a normal exit for this part of the level.

EDIT: Alright, so I didn't sleep too great last night, so I didn't really have time AT ALL to work on it today.

So, here's the unfinished WAD here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Ajx5KeW_UCSk12UUIxTV85N00

How's it going people? Any updates on existing maps?

The Citadel is having great progress, but it got quite big, so it takes some time. I'll be posting latest .wad later today for you guys to check it out.

^I haven't been working on my Map 31 submission AT ALL as of recent, I guess I kinda just stopped.

Maybe I might make another map, but even then I might lose interest on that too.

I guess I'll try to finish my submission, unless anyone wants collab with me on it and add detail or new areas in it. Fix some errors I made too.

That's what the lack of creativity and being down does to you.

Here's the download link to it, PM me if you wanna collab.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Ajx5KeW_UCUHRkdG1RUzBTVnM/view?usp=sharing

I have been tinkering with Map24 a bit but am kinda stuck, cause i feel like the map needs something extra and am just not sure what.

scotty said:

I have been tinkering with Map24 a bit but am kinda stuck, cause i feel like the map needs something extra and am just not sure what.

You don't have to be stuck with it alone. Share screenshots or WAD and maybe we can help you out. It's a team project, we should support each other and ask help when needed. :)

TraceOfSpades said:

Has anybody playtested Tritnew's Map31 submission?

Seems like no one has, but it's unfinished still I think?

Of course, it'd be awesome if people played all the versions of all the maps, just to see progression and get the feel of the map. Also, to maybe help out with ideas and suggestions. Rarely (never) you remember to take into account all the things to create a great map, so it's good to get that feedback sooner than later. :)

I'm glad to see everything is still going well so far. I apologize for my absence. RL is keeping me real busy... And I've been mapping a little bit for my own project. Any who, I'll post the final update of Gantlet once I get the chance, and work on Map 08 will follow.