Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doom 2 Redux (Mapset Complete. Beta Release Incoming)

Archvilehunter, how would I alter my lift to make it move immediately? I know how to do it with acs, but that's not available in boom.

Wildmajora said:

Archvilehunter, how would I alter my lift to make it move immediately? I know how to do it with acs, but that's not available in boom.

You would use a boom scrolling floor with a voodoo doll (player 1 start) on it so the voodoo doll moves over a line which then starts the lift.

AD_79 said:

You would use a boom scrolling floor with a voodoo doll (player 1 start) on it so the voodoo doll moves over a line which then starts the lift.

Ooh, never thought of that. Thanks!

EDIT: Done again! I'm fairly sure I've fixed everything everyone mentioned. I also edited the lift area's lighting to make it more interesting, is it okay?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1tyb66utvcbaaf4/07_Dead_Simple_Redux_.wad

Could anyone recommend another map I could take? There's so much choice and I really want to do another one. Maybe one of the later hell maps?

ArchvileHunter said:

Great idea, it will be added in the final version. I will upload it when The Waste Tunnels is done, because I want to see what kind of exit Tactical Stiffy comes up with.

Actually I was waiting for you to make a starting room lol so I could end it like that lol. Did you put the Cyber back in UV btw I think it fits better than the barons for UV. Barons suck.

Wildmajora said:

Ooh, never thought of that. Thanks!

EDIT: Done again! I'm fairly sure I've fixed everything everyone mentioned. I also edited the lift area's lighting to make it more interesting, is it okay?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1tyb66utvcbaaf4/07_Dead_Simple_Redux_.wad

Could anyone recommend another map I could take? There's so much choice and I really want to do another one. Maybe one of the later hell maps?

How would you like to do Map29? That one comes with a stipulation. The end of the level must work the same way that E1M8 ended. The player must die to end the level, which will take him to my Icon of Sin, which starts in a long hallway full of dead bodies and dead demons. There are body parts hanging from the open sky, and there is a river of blood. You step into a glowing pentagram next to what is supposed to be YOUR dead body with a soulsphere next to it.

I would like to assemble a demo of the first seven maps.

Would somebody please make the photo in the original post the title screen and throw the lump the seven maps we have together into a single wad file titled D2RDemo_1.wad.

I'd do it myself, but I have no idea how to.

TraceOfSpades said:

I would like to assemble a demo of the first seven maps.

Would somebody please make the photo in the original post the title screen and throw the lump the seven maps we have together into a single wad file titled D2RDemo_1.wad.

I'd do it myself, but I have no idea how to.

I can make a demo wad file. Is every link in the original post up to date?
Once Tactical Stiffy and I have found a better way to connect map05 and map06, I'll upload the demo file.

Tactical Stiffy said:

Actually I was waiting for you to make a starting room lol so I could end it like that lol. Did you put the Cyber back in UV btw I think it fits better than the barons for UV. Barons suck.

So do you want to make an exit, or should I make a start room to inspire your exit?
As it is right now it's a really boring transition from map05 to map06.

map 29 sounds good! I read what the exit must be like and tried it on a demo of map one. The E1M8 exit doesn't take away ammo or weapons, it just starts the next map with all your weapons and 10 HP.

Apparently if I make the exit teleport the player to telefrag a barrel which kills the player and Romero's head, the level ends and the next map begins on a pistol start. Is that the effect we want?

And could I see a screenshot of the start of map 30 and end of map 28 please? It would make continuity easier.

ArchvileHunter said:

So do you want to make an exit, or should I make a start room to inspire your exit?
As it is right now it's a really boring transition from map05 to map06.

As long as it's an empty room we could connect it shouldn't matter But I can make a metal wall room and the you can recreate it. Like I did with the transition from MAP04 to MAP05. Should the room be a hall or just a square room?

ArchvileHunter said:

I can make a demo wad file. Is every link in the original post up to date?
Once Tactical Stiffy and I have found a better way to connect map05 and map06, I'll upload the demo file.

Yes, all up to date to the best of my knowledge. Might be a few bugs, but since it's a demo, people will point them out.

Wildmajora said:

map 29 sounds good! I read what the exit must be like and tried it on a demo of map one. The E1M8 exit doesn't take away ammo or weapons, it just starts the next map with all your weapons and 10 HP.

Apparently if I make the exit teleport the player to telefrag a barrel which kills the player and Romero's head, the level ends and the next map begins on a pistol start. Is that the effect we want?

And could I see a screenshot of the start of map 30 and end of map 28 please? It would make continuity easier.

Map30 will replenish all health, armor, and ammo right from the get go with no enemies in the first area to kill you. So either way will be acceptable.

Tactical Stiffy said:

As long as it's an empty room we could connect it shouldn't matter But I can make a metal wall room and the you can recreate it. Like I did with the transition from MAP04 to MAP05. Should the room be a hall or just a square room?

You could just make a small metal room with a door on each end and have a walkover exit in the middle. I suggest you make the doors small like DOOR1 or DOOR3. A huge exit door looks really out of place IMO.

Tacticalstiffy,

I was wondering what you have/had in mind for the exit of your map 28. Just so I know what to make the start of map 29 like. A screenshot would be great but isn't essential.

I'm not sure yet, but I can always build off of what you create because I'm currently working on MAP16. I've drawn the overall layout for it. So when I finish that I'll start MAP28.

TraceOfSpades said:

Fuck it, I'll take Barrels O' Fun. It'll be goofy, and I can have fun with it.

You should make a maze room that uses barrels as the walls with monsters in a corner, and if you make wrong move the monsters turn around and blow you up :P

I've always wanted to make something like that.

Wildmajora said:

How do you guys normally map? I haven't really got a method sorted yet so I'd be interested to hear how you all do it.

I turn on Slayer and wing it.

Seriously, that's usually it.

But keep three things in mind. Beginning, middle, and end. Establish a mood in the beginning, have a high point "main area" in mind, connect the dots from the beginning to that point, and then make a path to the end. The rest is just filler rooms and hallways. I put a high focus on establishing mood by creative sector shapes, good decoration placement, proper lighting...just imagine a hallway. It can be lit and full of corpses, dark and full of corpses, or a blinking light with corpses strewn about. What's creepier to you?

ArchvileHunter said:

First demo is ready!
GOTHICTX textures are included.
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/33qeoqbhbz27n4l/D2RDemo_1.wad

Also link to the final version of The Crusher included in the demo: http://www.mediafire.com/download/cjnaw0n2hv75ew0/The_Crusher_redux.wad

Awesome! I'll check it out when I get home. At the junk yard with some buddies. Is my title screen in the demo?

TraceOfSpades said:

Awesome! I'll check it out when I get home. At the junk yard with some buddies. Is my title screen in the demo?

Yes, the title screen is in, though I modified it slightly to make it fit 320x200.

ArchvileHunter said:

Yes, the title screen is in, though I modified it slightly to make it fit 320x200.

Nice!!!

Ok playtested demo and Had a few issues:

1. MAP02 exit doesn't really work to MAP03 and MAP03 has a switch exit to MAP04

2. On MAP03 the cages are still bleeding into the floor and the red key trap wall still comes up and can block you in from the other side. Once again, I would make it S1 Floor lower tag on the other side just in case this happens.

3. MAP04 isn't the updated version. It's the first release.

Other than that, the maps played really well together. It was fun so far.