Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeroMaster010

Doom 2 in 19:59

Doom 2 UV-Speed D2All in 19:59 (20:13.71)

A lot of credits to Looper for everything he's done for 30uv, for those who didn't watch him stream you might be unaware that he did manage to beat my previous time of 20:32. It's very unlikely I would have found a route good enough or the motivation to push it this far without all the effort from him :)

Earlier I managed to get a time of 20:00, and I followed it up by getting a time of 20:06 after firing a single frame too early on the last rocket on Icon of Sin. I included a video with several failed attempts, including the IoS mistake here: http://youtu.be/2wPK9I_4BhU

I now have a total of 25 exits for 30uv, 13 of which are below 21 minutes, 1 of which is below 20 minutes :)

More info about the run can be found in the, as always lengthy, .txt file with the demo.

As for what's next... I would still like to see the nightmare run get improved further from the time of 27:21, one day I hope to see it go as far as sub 26 minutes. I've had enough doom 2 for a while now I think... same goes for plutonia, so I am not sure what my next plans are.

Thanks to everyone here at doomworld, your comments help motivate me to continue with these runs :)

30uv1959.zip

Niiiice!
The map 16 and 19 glides were crazy fast haha
There were lots of tiny optimisations everywhere, like the setup for map9 elevator off spawn and stuff like that. Shows that a lot of thought and practice went into this one. Also the fails video made me lol. The map23 American Sniper chaingunner :@

Feels good to finally see a sub20 in Doom II. Going to be really interesting to see if anyone's able to bring this down any further now.

As for your 30nm comment, I'll get around to it soon :P Moving houses atm!

Congratulations on the terrific run! Your perseverance is nothing short of astounding. Sub-20 is a huge achievement for D2 30UV, and for Doom running in general. I wish you the best of luck with improving your 30NM run.

Edit: Just finished watching the blooper reel. That was really cool. Thanks for the extra effort you put in to entertain and inform us.

Awesome. I was panicking for you at the end of Catacombs even though I knew it must have worked out OK

Great run, congratulations! Didn't think sub 20 would be reached in quite a while.

Let me ask you one question, ZeroMaster: Are you really human? Because this is an insane run, congrats!

Linguica said:

No silent BFG on Map17, run nullified.

There are 2 silent BFG's on map 22 if that makes up for it :D

Azuruish said:

I like RJ in MAP15. I guess it more easily than you did it before isn't?

Map 14, yes, I am able to find the right angle while I wait for the elevator to go up, all I need to do is to go around so that I am standing next to the wall on the other side. The RJ is then a lot easier to do than the previous method... however, there were some... unforseen problems with it, because I kept getting hit by shotgunners on the other side just as I was about to fire the rocket which push me into the other side so I hit the wall and rocket myself. Saves both plasma and time which is more important though.

Also forgot to mention that the new method for the glide on map 22 was Loopers idea too, when I went for sub 21 minute run there was always a good possibility I would lose a lot of time there, now that isn't really a problem anymore, since it's easy to do consistenly.

Also thanks to the mod who edited the first post, I have always been to lazy to take a minute to figure out how to post the video directly instead of just a link :)

Great run!
As for bloopers... if I were you, I'd get 20:00.03 time here.

Spoiler

I was playing TVR map25. I was going to glide right to the exit button. But... I got a void glide instead of normal one.
You'll never meet a man luckier than me.

Not that it matters to anyone but me, but I've been into Doom for over 21 years now and have been watching demos since the early days of Demonlord, if not longer. I am amazed and grateful that there are till new players emerging that are performing even more insane feats in 2015. So I guess this is as good a place as any to say Thank You to Zero Master and everyone else in the community that are still cranking these things out.

This entry might have impressed me more than even the recent NM runs. The bloopers video (I love it!) doesn't show even an hundredth of the shit that could (should?) have gone wrong here, it's just 20 minutes of absolutely insane precision. I am in total awe.

(Bonus thanks for putting this on Youtube for us lazy old farts that don't really run the actual game much anymore.)

Also out of curiosity, are those videos recorded with PrBoom? I see a lot of weird texture warping especially in the blooper reel where you are pressing up against walls a lot.

Linguica said:

Also out of curiosity Looper, are those videos recorded with PrBoom? I see a lot of weird texture warping especially in the blooper reel where you are pressing up against walls a lot.

Looper? :D
It's an edge rendering error known in 2.5.1.3. It was fixed in 2.5.1.4.

I've been using "prboom-plus-2.5.1.3-win32" for videos, I haven't changed it since I did my first video for 30pl2523 about a year ago I think. I didn't know 2.5.1.4 fixed that issue, I'll keep that in mind next time. It's most apparent when I am hugging the walls for rocket jumps like 07 and 14 or just setting up for tricks in general.

I wonder if it fixes the ledges on chasm as well, because they too look kinda weird.

ZeroMaster010 said:

I wonder if it fixes the ledges on chasm as well, because they too look kinda weird.

Yeah it does fix them. This bug drove me mad! It was so hard to tell how close I was to falling off ledges

What a nice surprise after coming home from a trip. Congrats on breaking the unbreakable barrier.

I must admit that ZeroMaster is one of the main reasons why I visit this subforum lately, and this kind of stuff just proves why.

Congratulations.