Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andrea Rovenski

Sunlust + Summer of '69 demos [-complevel 9]

MAP16 is waiting and waiting... Not sure but I think you can go to the BFG before the pain elemental branch, which would save some time.

vdgg said:

MAP16 is waiting and waiting... Not sure but I think you can go to the BFG before the pain elemental branch, which would save some time.

No idea how much time it would save, if any, but you can get the BFG by the red skull key quickly with a glide. It seems to be a bit harder than your average guided glide for some reason, though.

2:30???? gz :D. looks like rushing that first area is better than saving the cells for later. clutch bfg usage in the latter areas too, way more efficient than what I was doing.

... about half an hour of attempts? lols

It's not that good, there's enough health to play carelessly so it skews the image.

If there's a competition on this map, it'll come down to just rushing the last cyber for an immediate suicide two-shot and hoping it doesn't fire, and then you probably won't like the map anymore. :) 

I know I sound like some grumpy rambling uncle, but I happen to have some basis in opinions regarding what sucks for maxing and what doesn't. Off the top of my head:

First and foremost, the most important factor is available health. It's a factor that's unfortunately very unlikely to notice for the observer and basically dictates how hateable map is for maxing. Go check for example sl05 max (which is absolutely gruesome to max) and then compare to this one. I'm trying to keep the same pace, but doing so means 1000 restarts in one map and 50 in a different one.

Then there are outside factors, the most important being obviously infighting. If there's newgothic-like amount of infighting going on, maxes will be improvable pretty much eternally, which is a detractor. Maps where this factor is minimised make each attempt more "stable", the outcome of attempt is more predictable and therefore doesn't require acknowledging hypothetical scenarios. While chaos may increase overall entertainment of demo, it makes squeezing out seconds a chore and final time becomes basically just an indicator of how many monsters died on their own. Other notable outside factors are freely roaming monsters on huge terrains, sections where you have to put up with infinitely tall actors, basically stuff that randomly ruins attempts which player has negligible chance to control.

PE vs rl is obviously a stupid thing to do normally, but it's unfortunately the thing you'll likely need to force yourself into doing in maxes. The animation required to spew lost soul is almost instant so whether these kills happen or you get blown up is always down to raw rng. Bonus points for orchestrating these fights in huge open enviroment.

Berserk centric means automatic suckage. Just small sections where it's obviously faster than anything else if it works favorably are rage incarnate.

Lastly, actions required to pull off shortly after the beginning of an attempt can ruin the experience quite easily as well. Having only pistol and sarge close to you to get shotgun from then followed by chainer next door? Maxing will likely suck.

Now I'm not saying presence of these factors in maps make them bad, it's just that maxing them will probably be a chore.  

7 hours ago, rdwpa said:

If there's a competition on this map, it'll come down to just rushing the last cyber for an immediate suicide two-shot and hoping it doesn't fire, and then you probably won't like the map anymore. :) 

When competition happens you just end yoloing the entire map.

Doing an UV run must have been a walk in a park after the NM one. It looks all nice, calm and relaxed in comparison.

On the contrary... I am happy to get the one demo on Nightmare!, whereas on normal speed there's a bit less frustration to run into, hence I'll try to grind it down more (my first exit for UV-Speed was 1:3x).

Map 10 NM-Speed in 1:05.