Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andrea Rovenski

Sunlust + Summer of '69 demos [-complevel 9]

Found some Skill 2 demos I recorded during my Jan/Feb practice for episode runs. Figured I'd post them, as I actually like a few of those, though be warned that most of them are half-assed. Skipped maps 06, 12, 31, 20 and 23 because I'm bad and didn't get anywhere close to the current UV records on those.

sunlust hntr compilation.zip

Map02 UV Max/Reality in 7:38

sl02r738.zip

I am so stupid that I forgot I need to pick up the Yellow Keycard in order to exit that particular room. I thought I ran into "skipping linedef" or something like that and I'm stuck forever in that room. I wasted like 45 seconds to realize the actual way to go... I'm totally not fine with this demo, but I'm not sure whether I can do it again in the same time, so I just put it here.

Edited by GarrettChan

On 9/28/2018 at 3:22 AM, 4shockblast said:

24 pacifist in 2:03.

sl24p203.zip

On 9/28/2018 at 4:18 AM, 0xf00ba12 said:

Inspiring demos is the best compliment you can give me :)

Map 29 UV-Speed in 2:38

On 9/28/2018 at 6:57 AM, GarrettChan said:

Map02 UV Max/Reality in 7:38

sl02r738.zip

Great stuff. Also interesting point raised by 4shock in the comment text :p

Nah, definitely not intentional, and really only useful if an Archie spawns the moment the bars are low enough to get boosted over. Way too much swag for me to grind for.

Now that I've had time to sleep on it, I'm not so sure that (or other demos for Map 21) counts as Pacifist. If I'm not mistaken, when teleporting onto the Mastermind's teleport destination, players are actually telefragging it via voodoo doll. There are routes that avoid such a thing completely, as shown in in Kyle's sl21p036, so a Pacifist demo is definitely doable without the telefrag.

While I'm at it, Map 23 features a similar issue where the map can be done Pacifist without telefragging anything.

I know the subject of intent has been discussed before, but I'd like to try and sort this out before grinding out attempts on sl23p.

I declare myself new Hegyi and hereby pronounce telefragging and activating crushers from now on allowed in pacifist demos. That is all, Hegyi signing off.

If you can avoid a telefrag, I'd say do it that way. I think I can get behind forced ones still counting in pacifist, but a telefrag does still involve damage to a monster, even if it's kind of indirect, so it makes sense to avoid if possible in pacifist.

53 minutes ago, 4shockblast said:

If you can avoid a telefrag, I'd say do it that way. I think I can get behind forced ones still counting in pacifist, but a telefrag does still involve damage to a monster, even if it's kind of indirect, so it makes sense to avoid if possible in pacifist.

makes sense, I agree to this. In some maps it might be unavoidable, and therefore accepted for pacifist. It would be enough to change the definition of pacifist run into something which explains the need to avoid any kind of killing if possible.

after all, even UV-MAX has the 100% kills or highest % possible achieved in the run.

6 hours ago, 0xf00ba12 said:

Very appropriate ending, considering the name of the map.

Also, how is it even humanly possible to dodge all that caco fire on NM ...with your back turned to them!

I think with fast projectiles it's more about pattern recognition than it is about dodging. I think of dodging as reacting to dynamic fire like we see with monsters at normal speed; we don't know exactly when or how many of them will fire, so it's less predictable even if it is less lethal than what we'd see in Nightmare! or -fast. Shmup players might relate to this as well.

Map 23 NM-Speed in 0:41.17