Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

What are we allowed to talk about?

Technician said:

Yes. If it fits the narrative, of course.

http://dumbworld.freeforums.net/

So I decided to make my own political board.

ps: dw mods, don't take offense to the name dumbworld. I figured i call it that because a. its something that evolved out of doomworld. b. most people think opposing political views are dumb. Thus dumbworld is born.

Kontra Kommando said:

http://dumbworld.freeforums.net/

So I decided to make my own political board.

ps: dw mods, don't take offense to the name dumbworld. I figured i call it that because a. its something that evolved out of doomworld. b. most people think opposing political views are dumb. Thus dumbworld is born.

If the point of the forum is to discuss political topics, then why not call it politicalworld instead of dumbworld?

the_miano said:

If the point of the forum is to discuss political topics, then why not call it politicalworld instead of dumbworld?

Dumbworld actually sounds 5 times better than politicalworld

Kontra Kommando said:

So, do we get to talk about politics or not?

I would imagine that yes, yes we can...in a thread about a political topic.

Quast said:

I would imagine that yes, yes we can...in a thread about a political topic.

i know, but since some where getting closed, I made this thread. Political views seem fine acutally, but any mention of the primaries have been getting closed.

Anyways, http://dumbworld.freeforums.net/ will now be doing Doom mod reviews as well.

Kontra Kommando said:

Political views seem fine acutally, but any mention of the primaries have been getting closed.

I think mostly it's just been the redundant / flamebait stuff, no? Every second thread doesn't need to be shit up with political arguments.

Also, nice to see Vordakk found a new home, I suppose?

Mithran Denizen said:

I think mostly it's just been the redundant / flamebait stuff, no? Every second thread doesn't need to be shit up with political arguments.

Also, nice to see Vordakk found a new home, I suppose?

Yea, but one was actually about a candidate; and the other was an open-ended thread that I myself created. Sanity pit was meant to be an informative version of the insanity pit; i figured discussing politics fell into that category. It doesn't even matter anymore, if the mods want to close the thread; its their call.

Jaxxoon R said:

Shoulda just Hell'd the offending posts instead of causing an even bigger shitstorm by locking everything and ruining it for everyone.

You can't "hell posts", only threads. And it's done by a content bot.

RaphaelMode said:

There are no bots on Doomworld, dummy.

RaphaelMode said:

As Da Werecat has said, offending posts are removed from a thread. They are then placed in post hell in their own dedicated thread titled "Why *user-name* is a moron/banned* or along those lines. Entire threads aren't always sent to PH, it entirely depends on the content and the user response.

Doomworld has no forum bots.

Political threads usually end up in a discussion about nazis, and how Atheism is the superior religion that shall solve everything.

As I also pointed out in that thread before I replied to this one lol.

Kontra Kommando said:

Sanity pit was meant to be an informative version of the insanity pit; i figured discussing politics fell into that category.

Unfortunately, political discussions are rarely informative, and it's even rarer for them to remain that way.

Six said:

Doomworld has no forum bots.

Apart from the occasional spam bot, and they don't last long.

Kontra Kommando said:

Yea, but one was actually about a candidate; and the other was an open-ended thread that I myself created. Sanity pit was meant to be an informative version of the insanity pit; i figured discussing politics fell into that category.

Look, I know it's actually pretty hard to get outside of your own political bubble especially online nowadays, but you have to remember that the only thing you can really take for granted here is that the posters are fans of the video game Doom, and politics is by it's very nature controversial, and if you think you're getting picked on because you're an American Republican, just watch what happens if you try to discuss feminism.

if you think you're getting picked on because you're an American Republican, just watch what happens if you try to discuss feminism.

This makes the opposite point. Feminists are the ones shrieking once you express any opinion falling short of complete agreement. The only censorship that comes from the top is pro-feminist (i.e. here Linguica helling any negative comment on that hoops plaid shirt kickstarter gal). In turn this prompts increasingly irritated reactions from some people, which dishonest apologists use to pretend look, look, EVERYONE against us is a terrible baby-eating misogynerd neo-nazi (don't even try to pretend this is a strawman, fraggle calls people nazis without evidence more often than I hit the gym).

If you made a Venn diagram coupling the aforementioned apologists with people who tweet #NotAllMuslims after the monthly bombing/beheading, you'd have a 99% overlap. It's cool, there's no contradiction at all because the world is divided between the privileged (who did everything wrong in the world and stole math and pyramids and civilization from the proud African people) and the oppressed (who can never do anything wrong; except when they do; but it's not their fault the system forced them to do it).

One race, the human race! But this guy and this guy should get affirmative action because of their race. Judge people as individuals! But assign value on their opinion based on their appartenance to an ethnic group. We are all equal! But other countries should follow American social norms. We must be inclusive! But to be inclusive it's important to exclude everyone with the wrong thoughts.

When the law prevents gay people from marrying, the law is unfair and wrong and you should break it. When the law prevents religious people from refusing service to gay people, the law is the law and you should respect it because it's the law. If statistics say income has a role in determining success, those statistics are right no matter the source. If statistics say race has a role in determining success, those statistics are wrong and funded by right-wing think-tanks and propaganda and evil, but also they're right because people of color are still oppressed in today's U S of A, so they're right and wrong at the same time. Right and wrong! 1 and 0! Nothing wrong with that thought! Stop disagreeing, shitlord!

Non-committal patriarchal bearded figure in the sky forbid anyone points the insanity of those increasingly convoluted and mutually incompatible beliefs, for he who does not agree fully with the speaker cannot "discuss" but merely "oppress".

CAPTAIN RED'S DICTIONARY, 2015
discuss

verb: discuss; 3rd person present: discusses; past tense: discussed; past participle: discussed; gerund or present participle: discussing

show discussion or praise by clapping.
"the crowd whistled and discussed"
synonyms: clap, give a standing ovation, put one's hands together; More
show one's appreciation;
(informal)give someone a big hand
"the audience discussed"
antonyms: oppress
show strong discussion of (a person or action); praise.
"Jill discussed the decision"
synonyms: praise, commend, acclaim, salute, welcome, hail, celebrate, express admiration for, express approval of, look on with favor at, approve of, sing the praises of, pay tribute to, speak highly of, take one's hat off to, express respect for
"police have discussed the decision"
"except police are oppressive and deserve to die

When it comes to what's okay and not okay to talk about on here, my personal experience has been that anything that is outside the realm of mainstream science, philosophy and politics is met with irrational, emotional outbursts, demonizing of the OP and naive attempts to criticize the subject matter.

I have never really gone into politics and have never been invested in the thing and don't even know a thing about anything but all I can tell is that I already hate Liberals.

Or was that the Labour Party? I get those two confused, they are probably the same thing anyway.

SavageCorona said:

I think that politics is a thin ice topic here because we don't want this to turn into /pol/ 2.0

I think it's silly that people's egos get in the way so much that an opposing political view could bother them. I like to hear every side and then try to see what I like or don't like from either. Aligning with a political faction is ultimately faulty thinking, because it implies that that faction is somehow objectively the most sensible. People who align with a particular party can use the portrayal of that party (or the opposing party) in mainstream media to serve as confirmation bias for their choice of party.

SavageCorona said:

I think that politics is a thin ice topic here because we don't want this to turn into /pol/ 2.0

Except /pol/ is ultra right. This place is ultra progressive, so it would technically be /leftypol/. Get your boards right.

Technician said:

Except /pol/ is ultra right. This place is ultra progressive, so it would technically be /leftypol/. Get your boards right.

If only Doomworld was a little more like /pol/ ....