Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

Resident Evil 2 Remake

If it's bad then we'll just brush it off since we'll always have the original, however i have faith that they know exactly what they're doing. Yoshiaki Hirabyashi comes across fairly excited about the entire project and i have no doubts he shares the fans visions and expectations.

If it honestly turns out bad then i'll be goddamn shocked.

I haven't played RE2 for about 12 years but i'm still looking forward to this regardless.

Really if they make it like the new ones that will suck though, we don't really need another of those.

UNLESS, they make it like revelations.

It wasn't so much a Re-Remake so much as it was a touched-up port with a fair bit of effort and care.

Think the Dreamcast version of Rayman 2.

They also added a new control option where you can forgo tank turning and just move about in whatever direction you want.

Well someone is now making money due to this effort. It can be amazing what gets shipped off to market sometimes. I look at my cell phone I bought in 2010. I have all these copies of "demo games" but I can't connect to the internet to download any full versions because they stopped supporting my cell phone model about 4 years ago. Now I can never find out how the full version of Tetris or Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader play out to the end stages! Darn. Guess I'll have to get an emulator for Resident Evil 2, then.

Software is cheap. People buy it without thinking twice. The second time around, the shame is on you.

TheCupboard said:

Well someone is now making money due to this effort. It can be amazing what gets shipped off to market sometimes. I look at my cell phone I bought in 2010. I have all these copies of "demo games" but I can't connect to the internet to download any full versions because they stopped supporting my cell phone model about 4 years ago. Now I can never find out how the full version of Tetris or Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader play out to the end stages! Darn. Guess I'll have to get an emulator for Resident Evil 2, then.

Software is cheap. People buy it without thinking twice. The second time around, the shame is on you.

I bought the full game Double Dragon on xbox live. But now since xbox stopped supporting it, I'm locked out of playing the full game; I can only play the demo. Now that's what you call, major bullshit! That really seems unethical to sell a product like that, and not ensure that the consumer purchase will be protected from that scenario.

This is the sort of remake that I'm not at all worried about being horribly fucked up during development. If the first REmake is anything at all to go by, then everything will be fine because they know what they're doing.

Can't wait for more info, really. The original RE2 is one of my favourite games (even if it is a ridiculously easy one compared to those either side of it), and I'm interested to see how they tweak things to expand on the scenarios.

But the real question is are they going to charge a fuckton of money for a game a lot of people probably already own like the last one?

Spoiler

yes

SavageCorona said:

But the real question is are they going to charge a fuckton of money for a game a lot of people probably already own like the last one?

Doom Remake coming soon.

TheCupboard said:

What does your phone have to do with a from-the-ground-up recreation of a 20 year game?

Also, you probably bought Final Doom, didn't you? That's even moreso the same game as the previous than this remake will ever be.

Jaxxoon R said:

What does your phone have to do with a from-the-ground-up recreation of a 20 year game?

The game is 17, it's not even legal yet. It can't even smoke.

I'm hopeful that this will be good, and I hope they keep some of the campy feel the original RE2 had. The more over-the-top the better.

^
It's going to have a 12ft bald man in a trenchcoat and goth boots stomp around chasing you through a police station.

It's going to be fucking awesome and OTT in the best way.

I'm kind of curious if they're gonna hit up the fixed camera + tank/RPG controls or the over-the-shoulder kind of majigger.

The former has the benefit of uh... appealing to stubborn fans and I guess making it feel like you have less control over the situation. It has the problem of being frustrating, awkward, and creating distance between the player, the protagonist, and the environment.

The latter has the benefit of being intuitive and lets you see the protagonist and environment more clearly. The main issue with it is some might be like "EW NO ITS NOT THE SAME."

It'd be wise to allow the player to use either.

Jaxxoon R said:

...the fixed camera ... has the problem of being frustrating, awkward...

Every time I read anything like this I just burst into hysterical laughter because it simply isn't true.

While I won't really care either way which camera method is eventually utilised (although it would make much more sense in context for the traditional angles to be used), it certainly would be wise for Capcom to allow either if there's enough of a call for the over-the-shoulder camera to be included.

You know those two fan remakes don't look that bad. Sure the Penguin is laurfing at the first one, but I'd rather play a smooth FPS version of Resident Evil 2 than a tank controled one.

This is coming from someone that can complete RE 2 in two hours. Again, before Youtube, my friend's brother wanted me to play games over and over again. Of course FPS kills survival horror in some people's eyes.

There was a dude trying to make Mario 64 in Unreal 4 and another guy remaking it in Unity. The Unity one is more impressive, because it doesn't bluntly steal Unreal 4's stock assets from tech demos.

The Unity one got a cease and desist from Nintendo. The Unreal 4 guy wants Patreon money to continue making the project, claiming its not paying for a game he doesn't have the rights to, people are just giving him money and he's choosing to make a game that he has no copyrights to.

All of these fan remakes are a good way to make an engine and get feedback to carry into a game with different assets where you can make money for your time.

As for the real thread itself, good they should remake the second one. Its the actual good one. The first one was garbage, but revolutionary garbage. They'll remake the third one too since they've gone this far.

I personally don't mind it, but that's what a lot of people's complaints tend to boil down to.

I mean, at first I was like "WHERE THE FUCK AM I AIMING HOW DID I MISS" but then I found the auto-aim and everything was fine. I mostly played the game for the atmosphere, puzzles, dualshock basement theme, and goofy story, but avoiding zombies and stunlocking dogs provided a good distraction. Kind of wish I could move while shooting, even if it'd only be forward/backward, but whatever.

I'd prefer an over-the-shoulder option but if they decide to go the fixed camera route I won't complain. I just want a bit more info. This, REmake and FF15/7R are the only three games I'm really interested in these days. I'd be looking forward to the Ratchet remake but I'm probably never going to get a PS4 so I basically gave up on that one.

geo said:

The Unreal 4 guy wants Patreon money to continue making the project, claiming its not paying for a game he doesn't have the rights to, people are just giving him money and he's choosing to make a game that he has no copyrights to.

Heh, that Stealth guy responsible for Sonic Megamix is pulling that exact shit and everyone around in that community's just defending him, even after another big modder called him out. Fuck that guy man, hoarding all those tools and shit for himself. Elitist git. Fuck that, man.

Oh, and for anyone not aware, this is the actual state the fan remake was in before it was shut down:

I could see how this might compete with the official thing.

The Unreal 4 remake of Resident Evil 2 looks good, but I'd say they just upgraded from UDK to Unreal 4. Like so many others attempt and fail. There was some dinosaur game on Steam and Kickstarter that "took the money and ran," when it was more of a case that they got lost in the engine change over.

Its also not competition, but confusion. Like how Doom 4 is really Doom.

I still like the original Resident Evil games, but even a fresh paint will still feel like its a game I've played for 15+ years. The Elder Scrolls and Sims games fall into the same category. I don't need to play the new versions, because I've played the old games.

People just want new graphics of what they already know. A new engine or deviation will get complaints its not exactly like they remembered. See Sonic 4 and Duck Tales.

I didn't know the Stealth guy was behind Sonic Megamix. So did he use Stealth's tools to make Sonic Megamix or Sonic Megamix's tools for Stealth?

Pretty much the next best thing to a dream come true, aka the FFVII remake.

My favourite aspect of it so far is how it consumed Invader Games. Their RE2 Reborn project was a massive fraud anyway.

geo said:

See Sonic 4 and Duck Tales.

Sonic 4 had hilariously bad physics and graphics though. It was made by the same studio that made Sonic Rush and Sonic Advance years before so no fucking clue what happened there.

geo said:

I didn't know the Stealth guy was behind Sonic Megamix. So did he use Stealth's tools to make Sonic Megamix or Sonic Megamix's tools for Stealth?

Stealth is the guy's username, not a project. Here, read this if you want the gist. He developed a MD client & PC server debug program and from what I've seen has no interest in releasing it in any form for the benefit of hobby programmers. In fact, a lot of the Sonic hacking community is stingy as fuck with their code. Like Zdaemon stingy.

Will be looking forward to this. I played RE the remake on the Gamecube and it scared the piss out of me. Never played the original RE 2 so this will be a new experience for me.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/12/9140429/resident-evil-2-remake-approved-capcom

Awesome! I spent most of my childhood playing RE2, not realizing for the longest time that there was a Scenario B until one day browsing my memory card.
I'm interested seeing where this goes, since there isn't an already-made Remake from a console or anything, and they'll have to start totally fresh. It seems that Capcom will be actually listening to fans, too. So I'm hoping this will be a gem.

It's good to see legitimate survival horror on the comeback.

Old games made new is the real comeback.

I can only wonder what would sell more:
- Doom 4 a new game
- Doom 2 an old game made new

A Doom 2 remake would need so many modifications, additions, and reinterpretations for this generation that it would basically be an entirely new game anyways.

Jaxxoon R said:

A Doom 2 remake would need so many modifications, additions, and reinterpretations for this generation that it would basically be an entirely new game anyways.

So like a remake?