Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

E3 exclusive Cyberdemon "mystery mini"

I'd also have to disagree. He fits into the new art style perfectly. All of the hell elements seen so far are rather Dungeons and Dragons like. It's a new look, and while it's different, it's internally consistent.

GoatLord said:

He looks out of place in that he looks like an elaborate action figure for a medieval RPG

Yeah, it pretty much looks like some sort of golum.

Clonehunter said:

I'd also have to disagree. He fits into the new art style perfectly. All of the hell elements seen so far are rather Dungeons and Dragons like. It's a new look, and while it's different, it's internally consistent.

For sure. Slapping him next to the new mancubus really shows it, too.

Clonehunter said:

Ironic considering the original Cacodemon was quite literally Dungeons and Dragons like.

ManthonyHiggs said:

For sure. Slapping him next to the new mancubus really shows it, too.

http://i.imgur.com/9AAJ1AZ.jpg

Guess not everyone's used to the new designs either way. Though, I'd like to see what the Pain Elementals or Lost Souls would look like. But Oh God, the Pinky looks extremely terrifying, just Imagine that thing rushing to You.

At least half of the oldschool Doom enemy cast - With a few exceptions of course - are almost all perfect for chibification: Caco, Pain, Imp, Barons/Knights, Doomguy himself.. Heck, even the posessed zombies and the spiders could be chibified with little actually changed.

I'm not saying I want that to happen, but there we are. The new monster designs on the other hand do not take well to this (very scientific I might add) "chibification" process.. Not at all. It's like trying to make a Chibi out of the Alien from... Uh.... Alien.

(Wasn't Hissy technicially the first Doom "chibi"? I mean it IS a sorta "child" version of a Caco..)

Here's some shots of my E3 Cyberdemon for close ups...

...maybe a little too close :o

EDIT: I got bad news for maes.... 'dat sweet cyb ass is gone :(

I know I'm not alone in saying that it's weird how literally every enemy looks menacing except the cyberdemon. I don't detect an iota of malice from him. It's not like the design is shitty--it just seems like it was meant for something else and for some reason they stuck it in Doom.

Well, the Reaper pewter minis are actually pretty badass, and a much better representation of DOOM memorabilia than any current mini figurine, I must say.

Was about to say, I REALLY want that little Doomguy, though a realistic Doomguy action figure would also kick serious ass.

A little OT, but Buckshot, any chance you have pictures of your Doom collection I can check out??

Buckshot said:

Fucking Kawaii, Dude.

Doomkid said:

Was about to say, I REALLY want that little Doomguy, though a realistic Doomguy action figure would also kick serious ass.

A little OT, but Buckshot, any chance you have pictures of your Doom collection I can check out??

I do. Though I'm still waiting on a box from Tom Hall to arrive... I spoke to him over the weekend and he stated he was shipping it back so it should be here any day now.

That'll be interesting to see as in that box, along with a few other things (copies of doom, wolf3d, masters of doom), is a sealed copy of DOOM 2... so if he signed that (seeing how he had no direct involvement with DOOM 2), thatd be a rather uniquely rare signed copy. Likely one-of-a-kind. The only other person I could think might have something like that would be AndrewB, who won a DOOM 2 signed box that Doomwrold had a contested for (I remember that contest somewhat, think it was 1998 it was given away, after some of the mods met up with some of the old id team.. though I cant remember if Hall was part of that.). In fact, I've asked AndrewB on several occasions in the past if he'd be interested in selling that box... though he stated he's not sure he even knows where it is anymore, sadly.

As it contains some important items that the shrine really needs before I show it off in its entirety, I'm waiting for that before doing a video overview/pics of my collection.

also, There's a few other small things (3do and GBA sealed versions of DOOM) that I haven't picked up yet... and I'm still waiting for a complete 1996 reaper doom pewter mini set to arrive that I ordered (should be in by last week of september), but I'll show off what I've got without those as pretty close to completion.

Oh man, you actually had the honor of talking with Tom Hall, and you're getting a box of cool stuff - That's awesome! I'm happy to wait for that little box of big goodies to arrive before you show off the goods. I'm still in awe of this D!Zone box so seeing a little collection of such treasures sounds great!

Buckshot said:

I got bad news for maes.... 'dat sweet cyb ass is gone :(

Noooooooooo :(

Okay, I think I've pinpointed exactly what bugs me about the new cyberdemon. It's two main things:

1) He looks really rocky and hard, whereas the other enemies have this fleshy, visceral look.
2) He looks a lot less human than the other monsters. Even the original cyberdemon seemed a bit human. Distorted humans look scarier than straight-up monsters.