Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

If you want to generate very elaborate shapes onto the floor via ACS, I suggest spawning small colored custom actors (possibly voxels?) via Spawn, because this function allows you to specify the spawn destination as an X/Y point with absolute coordinate precision (not only individual map units, but actually 65536 subunits per 1 map unit :P), so that you don't need to make and assign tags to a giant grid of tiny sectors in the map.

I was going to write a Python script to generate a WAD with the part of the map with the sectors already set up and tagged so it wouldn't be a really tedious thing to do.
I don't know much about shaders or GZDoom. I was just using ZDoom, but I might look into that. I'm already using GZDoomBuilder so at least I don't need to learn a new editor.
The voxel idea sounds interesting too.

Is it possible to perpetually spawn Barrels in Boom? Or is it a zDoom thing only? I want a conveyor belt that constantly has Barrels on it, but it should still be possible to destroy/shoot them. Blocking the conveyor belt is not an option.

Chris Hansen said:

Is it possible to perpetually spawn Barrels in Boom? Or is it a zDoom thing only? I want a conveyor belt that constantly has Barrels on it, but it should still be possible to destroy/shoot them. Blocking the conveyor belt is not an option.

Without some kind of DeHackEd trickery (even then, I don't really know what I'm talking about there) I don't think it is possible. What you COULD do is make the conveyor immensely long, so it would take a very long time for you to notice the barrel you destroyed isnt there on the 2nd loop.

I know that's not the best solution though.

If you do use ZDoom, the script would be easy. This example spawns one barrel at the thing with a TID of 1, every 35 tics (1 second).

Script 1 OPEN {
    while(1) {
        Thing_Spawn(1, T_BARREL, 0, 0);
        delay(35);
    }
}

Thanks, Dragonfly! It has to be for Boom since it's a map that I might submit for the Ty Halderman tribute project. I might have to find another solution to the whole thing and redesign it a bit kinda like the one with a seemingly endless stream of barrels, like you mentioned. Or a complete redesign. Or scrap the idea completely! ;) We'll see. Thanks again!

MBF has a code pointer named A_Spawn - but that, combined with some Dehacked work is the closest you'll get to Boom.

I have another question (I just love this thread). This is an easy one;

Regarding sky textures, I know you can get them in Slade3 which I'm currently using. But does Doom 2 come with a variety or pre-set skies I can use and is there a website or tool inside Doom Builder to show me what it would look like without the need to constantly log in Slade, change sky and test map over and over?

In standard Doom map format and using at least Boom* editing configuration, there is linedef action 271 "Transfer Sky Texture" which you can use to change sky for all sectors with a specific tag, accodring to the linedef's own upper and lower texture. Keep in mind that tag 0 means all sectors with tag 0, not all sectors in the entire map.

In ZDoom : Hexen or UDMF format, there is an action special Static_Init with an equivalent capability.

Spoiler

Technically it's a MBF feature (wasn't present in the original Boom engine), but works even in PrBoom-plus's -complevel 9.

scifista42 said:

1. Define the new projectile (may or may not inherit from DoomImpBall), call it for example IceImpBall, then make your monster fire it by A_CustomMissile.

2. Make a new projectile which must inherit from FastProjectile, make the Spider Mastermind fire these projectiles instead of hitscans, and set Mastermind's and Arachnotron's property "species" to the same value.

3. All default class definitions are available here: Classes. For example, all Doom monster definitions can be found in "Doom classes -> Characters -> Monsters".

Ill say it ... most of this went straight over my head. Perhaps Ill start with something easier first (of 3).

I want to make a Spider mastermind fire the blue plasma balls and be immume to other arachnotrons and vice versa. I managed to achieve this partly.

My Decorate file looks like this:

ACTOR Spiderdemon : Arachnotron 16850

Copy/pasted the rest for http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:SpiderMastermind

Sm looks right and Arachnotron's can't hurt the Spider, but since the spider fires hit scans, it doesn't work the other way around. How do I just change it too attack to the PlasmaBall or something else. I messed around with it and I had the SM morph into a Arachnotron only during it's attacking states. It seems that the Missle section is missing important information that makes this work out the way I want it too.

Secondly, if I wanted to simply edit the graphic of the Mastermind ... how do I do that? Decorate file is just a notepad, there are not any new graphics to find to even attach it too. Do I need to copy/paste all from Doom.wad? But that is just the sprites, where do I place that info into the Decorate file. There isn't a line section that says ...
Graphics : SM faces NW!

Basically is there a Youtube video on "Make and edit a new monster within Slade 3 for dummies" I mean REAL dummies like my self.

Tried this:

Missile:
POSS E 10 A_FaceTarget
POSS F 8 A_CustomMissile (plasmaball)
POSS E 8
goto See

My SM turns into a former human and fires a blue plasma shot. Pretty funny shit.

Zemini said:

Basically is there a Youtube video on "Make and edit a new monster within Slade 3 for dummies" I mean REAL dummies like my self.

Videos would be quite lengthy. There are quite a few text based tutorials

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15465&p=310496&hilit=+DECORATE#p310496

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=815562#post815562

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26110&p=498755&hilit=no+problem#p498755

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=46764

Other then that, take apart a few monsters or weapons from Realm667.

That is exactly what I have been doing. However not every monster is the same.

If I could only get a "Clone" of the Doom monsters with all its properties (Graphics, decorate, projectile graphics, sounds ect) like you get with a Realm 667 one I would be much happier.

EDIT: Thanks I read almost everything. My brain kinda hurts though

2ND EDIT: Got it to work! Just need to get it to fire like the other arachnotrons.

3RD EDIT: Just made my first Cyberdemon Variant. He is faster, has green blood, some recoloring and his rockets are homing! I feel pretty proud of myself now. I have it as a baronofhell so he doesn't hurt other barons but it doesn't work all the time. I think it has to do with the AOE rocket damage. I might just change the barons to cyberdemon species instead.

I am a new mapper who is following Linguica's level editing lessons, and I've hit a minor snag.

In the part talking about door switches, he mentions that you can set tags by selecting a linedef, then right-clicking on a sector. In GZDoom Builder, this doesn't seem to work for me. When I right-click in a sector while a linedef is selected, it opens the properties for the nearest linedef (or starts line-drawing mode if the sector is big enough). If I switch to sector mode while a linedef is selected, it becomes de-selected.

I was able to manually assign tags and get it working properly, but if there is a way for the editor to automatically assign tags, I'd love to hear how it works.

Krenium said:

I was able to manually assign tags and get it working properly, but if there is a way for the editor to automatically assign tags, I'd love to hear how it works.

It's probable that that bit was from the original tutorial for a different editor and I forgot to edit it to match GZDB's behavior.

In other news, I'm thrilled to hear that someone has actually found / decided to use those tutorials!

I'm really enjoying them. I appreciate how comprehensive and detailed they are. All the context surrounding how things work makes it much easier for me to understand what's going on.

Chezza said:

I have another question (I just love this thread). This is an easy one;

Regarding sky textures, I know you can get them in Slade3 which I'm currently using. But does Doom 2 come with a variety or pre-set skies I can use and is there a website or tool inside Doom Builder to show me what it would look like without the need to constantly log in Slade, change sky and test map over and over?

In ZDoom (or GZDoom, Zandronum, etc.) you can use the console command changesky followed by a texture (or flat, or even sprite) name.

Pictured: changesky possa1

I have a couple of questions about teleport traps. I've got the layout for my first map almost done finally, and I've sprinkled some weak monsters throughout the map to keep the player busy while they're exploring, so I'm moving on to adding some set encounters. I'm using the Doom 2 in Doom map format, and the map is targeted to a limit-removing source port but otherwise only uses vanilla features.

Now I'm working on the room with the final key they need to exit the level, and I'm adding some teleport traps. However, I noticed an issue when I tried to create one.
First off, I tried making a trap by having a room separated from the rest of the map with two sectors. One sector is tall enough to fit some imps in, and exists on both sides of the other sector. The other sector is narrow, and has the ceiling set to the floor height. The two sectors have separate tags, and the first one I joined with a sector where I expect the player to make some noise to awaken the monsters in there.

To activate the trap, I have a W1 action on a linedef the player must cross to get to the key. Initially I had a W1 Door Open Stay (fast) action, but for some reason the door wouldn't open. I double checked the tags for both the linedef and sector to make sure they matched, so that wasn't the problem. So I changed it to a W1 Ceiling Raise to Highest Ceiling and it worked this time, but the imps wouldn't teleport in. Once again, I checked the tags of the linedef the imps should walk over to teleport and they matched the destination sector. I had a teleport destination thing in the sector too so that wasn't it. However, after I increased the size of the second sector, the imps did teleport.

Now that all that context is out of the way, my two questions are as follows:

• Does anybody have an idea why the "W1 Door Open Stay (fast)" action didn't work, but the "W1 Ceiling Raise to Highest Ceiling" one did?
  • When you have a linedef that a monster walks over to teleport, does there have to be enough space on the other side of the linedef for the monster to fit? It seems like the teleport doesn't work if not.

Thank you for reading this long and rambling post.

1. The door raise function raises to the nearest ceiling height, if you have a very low ceiling nearby (the tunnel for the sound, as it were) then it will only raise that high. With the ceiling raise function, you've dictated that it must go to the highest ceiling, not nearest.

2. I've always done that - enough space both sides. It's not something I've felt the need to test, just something I've always done!

And you post was relatively short, at least, by Doomworld standards. :)

I only read the questions at the end of your post:

Tosi said:

Does anybody have an idea why the "W1 Door Open Stay (fast)" action didn't work, but the "W1 Ceiling Raise to Highest Ceiling" one did?

Possibly because doors always raise up to 4 units below the ceiling of their lowest neighboring sector (and if it's lower than the door's ceiling itself, then the door will instantly move down to the respective height rather than open up), while "Ceiling Raise to Highest Ceiling" makes them raise up to their highest neighboring ceiling height.

Tosi said:

When you have a linedef that a monster walks over to teleport, does there have to be enough space on the other side of the linedef for the monster to fit? It seems like the teleport doesn't work if not.

There must be no solid thing at the teleport destination that would block the monster from teleporting, because monsters can't telefrag anything (only the player can). But if there was little space only due to blocking linedefs nearby, the monster would teleport anyway (and probably get stuck).

Dragonfly said:

1. The door raise function raises to the nearest ceiling height, if you have a very low ceiling nearby (the tunnel for the sound, as it were) then it will only raise that high. With the ceiling raise function, you've dictated that it must go to the highest ceiling, not nearest.

I don't have a tunnel for the sound since I just used the same sector number (not tag) for the room with the monsters and the room the player makes a noise in. I think I realized what the problem was here. The areas on both sides of the door have the same sector number, so the engine couldn't treat it as a door. I guess that's what I get for joining as many sectors as possible because I'm obsessive about weird things like that.

Dragonfly said:

2. I've always done that - enough space both sides. It's not something I've felt the need to test, just something I've always done!

It wasn't working until I put more space on the other side, so I assumed that's what the problem was. I'm glad GZDoombuilder shows you the size of the monsters otherwise I'd have to have a table handy to know how big to make these little rooms.

Thanks for answering.

Dragonfly said:

And notably, this means that you cannot have two doors touching each other.

Go out with a digital camera (or a phone with one) and take photos of buildings, brick walls, concrete walls, fences, roads and stuff. Then transfer the photos to your computer and open them in an image editor. Cut them to seamlessly tile vertically and horizontally, tint them to look alright when converted to Doom palette (unless you're making a wad for an OpenGL port), scale them down as needed, and import them into a wad as textures.

In WhackEd4, how can I make a sound play globally? An example would be preferred, as I do it all by hand.

Only certain sounds used by certain things are hardcoded to play at full volume regardless of distance:
-Cyberdemon: sight sound, death sound
-Spider Mastermind: sight sound, death sound
-Monster Spawner: sight sound
-Romero Head: pain sound

Make your custom DEHACKED object to replace one of these monsters/things AND their respective sound. If you replace only one of them (either the thing, or the sound), it might not work properly / it might work differently in different ports.

scifista42 said:

Only certain sounds used by certain things are hardcoded to play at full volume regardless of distance:
-Cyberdemon: sight sound, death sound
-Spider Mastermind: sight sound, death sound
-Monster Spawner: sight sound
-Romero Head: pain sound

Make your custom DEHACKED object to replace one of these monsters/things AND their respective sound. If you replace only one of them (either the thing, or the sound), it might not work properly / it might work differently in different ports.

I don't want to replace either the Cyberdemon or Spidermastermind.

I was afraid of this, but I the problem is I need both sounds to play globally. I can cheat on the death sound by just using one of the Icon sound codepointers to play one of the sounds, but I can't make the alert sound play globally when the monster wakes up without it playing everytime it stops firing because the player breaks line of sight.

I tried a 'one-way' frame with another Icon sound codepointer for the first moving frame that is only reached once the monster is awoken and then passes on into the walking frames, but there's a problem with that method. The monster has an automatic style attack that uses cposrefire, so once he stops firing because the player has left LoS the sound will play again because it returns to the first moving frame.

I did find this thread after doing some more searching: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/62801-question-about-sounds-and-dehacked/

I couldn't find that option at all in WhackEd 4 though... Is it even a real thing?

I don't have WhackEd 4, but this should be a part of the "Sounds" table.

If it worked, it would be cool, I didn't know about it.

I found some info about a 'Sound block' in Dehacked, but unfortunately it seems as though the implementation was never finished, or never worked: http://www.doomworld.com/eternity/engine/dehref.html#sound

So as a work around, I changed it back to the one-way frame on waking up and instead of a refire codepointer I used a RandomJump codepointer instead. It actually works out pretty nice, it gives a little bit of uncertainty as to whether the monster finished attacking or not, and provides a slightly different than expected behavior. A crucial thing, when adding a new monster imo. Thanks for your help!