Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

The dynamic light actors right? Okay well it looks like I some how turned that one off. Ill check with it when I get home.

This is driving me nuts, yet another issue I am doing lots of research and testing for but still no results. And the answer is probably a very simple one.

How do I make a script recognize two conditions simultaneously before activating the commands?

Goal: I want this trap to be constant until both Actors 52 & 53 are dead. Currently it activates as soon as one condition is met. Sadly no "And" command seems to be available.

Example:

Script 22 (Void)

if (GetActorProperty (52, Aprop_Health) >= 1)
if (GetActorProperty (53, Aprop_Health) >= 1)
{
Delay (100);

SpawnProjectile (57, "FlameThrowerMissile", 0, 1, 1, 50, 57);
Delay (10);
SpawnProjectile (58, "FlameThrowerMissile", 0, 1, 1, 50, 57);
Delay (10);
SpawnProjectile (59, "FlameThrowerMissile", 0, 1, 1, 50, 57);

Restart;
}

I have an additional script (23) to Terminate the script when actors 52 & 53 are <= 0 health for safe measure.

scifista42 said:

AND is a basic logical operator, of course it's available.

if (GetActorProperty (52, Aprop_Health) >= 1 && GetActorProperty (53, Aprop_Health) >= 1)
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Operators

My word I totally overlooked it, that's twice I did this.

Thanks mate, as per usual, you're a legend.

Ok I have 2 more issues I'm struggling to overcome:

1. Have particular tagged Monsters never in-fight via ACS script. Since I'm being a parasite off Brutal Doom's custom content I don't want to mess with his decorate file. The monsters in question are exclusive to his wad as far as I know (Juggernauts / Hectebus).

I tried messing with some Thing_Hate commands but it fails to prevent infighting from friendly fire if the players doesn't aggro them first. If it's impossible then I will either leave it be or consider taking Brutal Doom's monster and create a new version with the minor tweak.

2. This might be impossible... or just really tedious.

So I am using a Doom Wiki Script to show the enemy health bars (Bosses) but I can only get one showing at a time. At the moment the Bosses have to take turns in displaying their health bars on the player's hud. Pick one to display first then once it dies terminate and activate the health bar script of second Boss.

Is it possible to:

1. Have 2 health bars showing simultaneously, just have the visuals showing on different corners?

or

2. Have ACS recognize when a tagged monster is taking damage, so it may suspend showing the health bar of monster tagged 52 in favor of currently attacked monster 53? And it swaps based on what has taken the most recent damage from player.

Chezza said:

2. This might be impossible... or just really tedious.

So I am using a Doom Wiki Script to show the enemy health bars (Bosses) but I can only get one showing at a time. At the moment the Bosses have to take turns in displaying their health bars on the player's hud. Pick one to display first then once it dies terminate and activate the health bar script of second Boss.

Is it possible to:

1. Have 2 health bars showing simultaneously, just have the visuals showing on different corners?

or

2. Have ACS recognize when a tagged monster is taking damage, so it may suspend showing the health bar of monster tagged 52 in favor of currently attacked monster 53? And it swaps based on what has taken the most recent damage from player.

I would recommend checking out Action Doom 2. If I remember correctly, every enemy in the game had a health bar which displays when being looked at or damaged (I can't remember specifically and I'm not at home to try it out.), I'd consider looking into how that one works.

Also, What I imagine the reason for your current health bar issues is that your HUDMessages for the 2nd health bar still have the same ID. That would mean they're both trying to display at the same time, with the same ID, so they would be constantly overwriting each other.

Check this link for more info on the HUDMessage function.

If you're using the script I think you are, there's 3 HUDMessages, with ID 101, 102 and acounter. You'll have to do some tweaks to the script as a whole, such as renaming all the variables, and then changing the acounter variable to the new one in the ID slot - add math to it so it definitely produces a different number to the other acounter, perhaps "acounter+1".

Good luck :)

Ah yes, I have tried changing TIDs and making two separate scripts. Unfortunately it didn't work so well but actually altering the Math... No I haven't tried. Looks daunting. But the Action Doom example may come in handy. I'm slowly learning basic scripting, eventually I may impress myself. Thanks Dragonfly!

Okay spent enough time trying to find information on this. I give up so here I am again...

Outdoor Sky textures: How do I make it so buildings don't look strange? Bascially the upper textures (which are disabled since the roof is F_Sky) overlap the wall textures of other buildings. It really makes an ugly effect.

Is there a good video or tutorial on how to make outside buildings without the strange effects you can get? 3d Floors? ...

I want to make a lamp with lightning around it in the floor, but if I increase the brightness the light reflects on the ceiling too. Is there any way to make the light only on the floor?

Paulo said:

I want to make a lamp with lightning around it in the floor, but if I increase the brightness the light reflects on the ceiling too. Is there any way to make the light only on the floor?

Are you talking dynamic lights? GLDEFS? Well you can't change the shape of a GLDEFS light, it'll always be a sphere, but you can change its Y offset to lower it.

If you're talking about something else, sorry, but it doesn't seem like you're talking about sector light levels here.

Been trying ot do a 3d floor for 90 minutes now. Followed all the tutorials but still doesn't work. GZdoom UDMF

1. Make a sector, tag it 1
2. Make a dummy sector, tag it 1, give function 160, type1, 255

The sector has its corners red and links it, but there isn't a floor to life off the ground from underneath.

GZ Doombuilder, tutorials I followed were only avaialbe for doom builder 2

EDIT:

Okay got it to work. It just doesn't work all the time for some reason.

Zemini said:

Been trying ot do a 3d floor for 90 minutes now. Followed all the tutorials but still doesn't work. GZdoom UDMF

1. Make a sector, tag it 1
2. Make a dummy sector, tag it 1

Don't tag the dummy sector.

Paulo said:

In Boom and higher formats, you can use Transfer Brightness effects: "Floor -> Floor Change Brightness to this Brightness" or "Ceiling -> Ceiling Change Brightness to this Brightness". Put a linedef with this action into a dummy sector outside the map, let it affect a sector in the map, and the brightness of the dummy sector will be transferred onto the in-map sector's floor or ceiling respectively.

In pure vanilla / limit-removing setting, you can achieve this effect too, but with restrictions: As long as the to-be-darkened ceiling doesn't touch any walls and it's fully surrounded by a single ceiling plane (same height, brightness and ceiling flat), you can raise the to-be-darkened ceiling a few hundred units above its neighboring ceiling and leave the upper linedef textures untextured - this will cause a HOM which will "fill the hole" and the inner ceiling's brightness will seemingly adopt brightness of its neighboring sector.

Is there a simple way in Boom/MBF compat (don't care about higher) to enforce some kind of always-on partial invisibility but without affecting the player weapon sprite?

The best you can do is to set the player's "Draw as Shadow" flag in DEHACKED Thing list. Monsters will react to the player as if he was partially invisible, though weapon sprites will not be displayed consistently between different ports. From what I've tested so far, the sprites were solid-looking in PrBoom-plus, and fuzzy in Zandronum (though ZDoom-based ports might be able to fix this via DECORATE which PrBoom-plus doesn't read).

scifista42 said:

In pure vanilla / limit-removing setting, you can achieve this effect too, but with restrictions: As long as the to-be-darkened ceiling doesn't touch any walls and it's fully surrounded by a single ceiling plane (same height, brightness and ceiling flat), you can raise the to-be-darkened ceiling a few hundred units above its neighboring ceiling and leave the upper linedef textures untextured - this will cause a HOM which will "fill the hole" and the inner ceiling's brightness will seemingly adopt brightness of its neighboring sector.

There is another way but it's probably not as effective. Sometimes what I do in Vanilla is use a really dark colored (black, dark brown, etc) texture for the ceiling above the torch and that makes it much less noticeable. This works best if you use more than one lighted sector around the source with a gradual increase in the light level (I use 3 sectors), with the center being the brightest of course.

Why are some of my decorations falling under the floor? I can kind of see them in view on gzdb, but in the game they are below the floor. Raising them with the mouse wheel doesnt seem to help.

I can see the tip of some of them. These are the blood and guts decorations.

Map a new map - UDMF - and yep the pool of blood doesn't show but only a red box where it should be.

EDIT: Also since I am here, is there an easy to to make Intermission text with the lines and paragraphs staying within the screen? When running my maps on Zand I can't see everything, and when playing on gzdoom launcher the text doesn't always look right. Therefore I am pushing lines and words around to make it fit.

Almost done with my first level(s) of a 12 map episode!

Well the guts look the same in the builder, but they also look under the surface in the game too. How do I unconfused gzdoom.exe? Is there some option in menu settings that I might of clicked off?

[img][/img]

Zemini said:

EDIT: Also since I am here, is there an easy to to make Intermission text with the lines and paragraphs staying within the screen? When running my maps on Zand I can't see everything, and when playing on gzdoom launcher the text doesn't always look right. Therefore I am pushing lines and words around to make it fit.

If the texts are yours, use \n character to manually insert a newline wherever you want in the text, and make sure that every line will be shorter than 320 pixels.

scifista42 said:

If the texts are yours, use \n character to manually insert a newline wherever you want in the text, and make sure that every line will be shorter than 320 pixels.

Nice to be able to measure the borders somehow however how does one identify 320 pixels across their screen?

The easiest way is to test it with lowest possible screen resolution. I think Zandronum displays characters on intermission screen upscaled twice, so that you only need to use screen resolution 640x480 to see if the characters go off the screen or not.

You can also try the "technically correct" method of measuring width of every character in the intermission font and counting them up to 320, but that would be overly tedious. :)

Also, the intermission texts start with a slight offset on the left, so the maximum width will be shorter than 320 pixels, actually.

scifista42 said:

In Boom and higher formats, you can use Transfer Brightness effects: "Floor -> Floor Change Brightness to this Brightness" or "Ceiling -> Ceiling Change Brightness to this Brightness". Put a linedef with this action into a dummy sector outside the map, let it affect a sector in the map, and the brightness of the dummy sector will be transferred onto the in-map sector's floor or ceiling respectively.

I'm doing vanilla-only since this is the first time I'm doing something, so I can learn the basics and how to do the most with what I have. This ceilling trick worked fine, thanks!

Here is my issue - i cant figure out how to link pics in a post so just click below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfhue4mvy3971zf/flooclipig.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/im4ugksof8pp70b/floorclipgzd.png?dl=0

okay I can' figure how to post pics of any sort on these forums...so here is a link to my public drop box account so you can look at them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j4pliteer5ik0py/AABOs01Ch-8m8aL3lzES-yJ0a?dl=0

You do realise there's a "How to use the Public folder.txt" right there that will tell you how to get hotlink compatible URLs for images?

Meanwhile, I already answered you question!

Edward850 said:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/OpenGL_preferences#Adjust_sprite_clipping
This of course means nothing to the software renderer as that's what the sprite offsets were intended for, as I showed you.

Anyone know how to stop or permanently prevent infighting from tagged monsters by using ACS or other means besides decorate?