Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Interesting. That's pretty close to one of the methods I tried but could never get the powerup to show up in-game. It seems what I was missing was that "replaces" part. Your code seemed to be lacking a doomednum, so it wasn't showing up as a decorate item in GZDoom Builder. Once I added a unique one, it worked.

Anyway, it's doing what I needed now. Thanks for the help!

Subatomic said:

Interesting. That's pretty close to one of the methods I tried but could never get the powerup to show up in-game. It seems what I was missing was that "replaces" part. Your code seemed to be lacking a doomednum, so it wasn't showing up as a decorate item in GZDoom Builder. Once I added a unique one, it worked.

Anyway, it's doing what I needed now. Thanks for the help!

You don't need the doomednum, because it replaces the original powerup. Just put the original one in! :)

Why does Doom 2's WAD always appear in GZDoom Builder and I can't get rid of it?
EDIT: Nevermind, solved it.

Is there a way to change the direction of an animated texture? For example, I'm using BFALL2 as a floor texture so that it looks like blood is flowing away from a pillar. The problem is that the blood looks like it flows toward it instead.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/jptqic.jpg

I'd like it to flow in the direction of the arrow seen in the above image. Aside from creating a custom texture, is there a way to fix/change this?

scifista42 I thought I'd let you know you helped me solve the door/linedef problem I had, decided to just create a new map in UDMF since Doom in Hexen wasn't my cup of tea.

One simple thing that I've not been able to do is spawn a blue particle fountain into the map via mapspot. It doesn't have an identifier that I know of like keycards do.

@Subatomic: Since you're using a walltexture on a floor which classic ports don't allow, I assume you're making a map for ZDoom. If your map is in UDMF format (preferable format for ZDoom-specific mapping), you can rotate floor textures directly from sector's Properties. If your map is in Hexen format (less preferable one), use Sector_SetRotation in an OPEN script to rotate the floor appropriately when the map starts. And if your map is in ZDoom : Doom in Doom format (nearly useless one for ZDoom-specific mapping)... Then preferably use UDMFConvert to convert it to UDMF format and go with the UDMF method.

@Spicy Cacodemon: The classname is BlueParticleFountain.

Right, sorry, should've mentioned that I'm mapping in zdoom in hexen format for Doom 2, using GZDoom Builder. I'll look into that setrotation method.

EDIT: That worked, thanks!

@scifista42 I've tried using BlueParticleFountain before and have tried multiple other variations in an attempt to get it working. I thought I'd try using the classname BlueParticleFountain once more after seeing your post but it won't work.

Here's my script.

@Subatomic I tried using 9029 and the script doesn't show any problems but the ParticleFountain won't show up. I said before that it doesn't seem to have an identifer and I see now it doesn't show up in this list of spawn numbers http://zdoom.org/wiki/Doom_spawn_numbers .

Still don't know how to spawn a fountain if possible but I've kinda solved my problem now by finding a dead simple alternative.

At first I thought perhaps I could just make the fountain invisible until triggered but then I thought to use action 76 Teleport Other. I just keep the fountain outside of the map so it's out of sight then teleport it in via mapspot. Can't believe I didn't think of this before, feeling stupid now.

I'm having a weird problem, whenever I right click on a thing I am missing the actions tab, I am also missing a lot of the actions when i right click a linedef (compared to what I see in alot of tutorial videos, I dont even have an execute script option). Why is this happening? I'm using the latest version of doom builder 2

Available features depend on the editing configuration and map format you're using. They are together defined as a "Game Configuration" which you choose when creating a new map or from "Edit -> Map Options".

@scifista42, can you help me with something? I'm still unsure of inheritance in ZDoom.

I want to modify the "blocking" hanging bodies in DOOM II to be not-blocking.

Can you give me an example DECORATE code for one, and refer me to the names of the rest of them?

Viewed in SLADE, basically every Doom graphic is in some ugly colorless form, annoying because I have to refer to another editor when editing my graphics resource. How does one view them normally (i.e., as they appear in the actual game) as a default in SLADE?

@gemini09: This code will replace a particular hanging body actor with its non-blocking but otherwise identical counterpart:

actor NonsolidHangBNoBrain : HangBNoBrain replaces HangBNoBrain {
  -SOLID
}
Alternatively, this code will create the counterpart as a new actor, but not replacing the original one, rather as a new thing type with its own spawn number 12345:
actor NonsolidHangBNoBrain : HangBNoBrain 12345 {
  -SOLID
}
The classnames of Doom's hanging bodies can be found here: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Doom#Gore

@rdwpa: You must set "Base Resource Archive" to the wad containing the intended palette, typically the IWAD for which you're editing. Or at least pick the correct palette from the "Palette Chooser" dropdown window. Convenient gif by Gez:
Spoiler

rdwpa said:

Viewed in SLADE, basically every Doom graphic is in some ugly colorless form, annoying because I have to refer to another editor when editing my graphics resource. How does one view them normally (i.e., as they appear in the actual game) as a default in SLADE?

Did you set your base resource to 'doom2.wad' up at the top on the menu bar? I think I had that same issue and that was how I fixed it.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by scifista

scifista42 said:

Alternatively, this code will create the counterpart as a new actor, but not replacing the original one, rather as a new thing type with its own spawn number 12345:[code]actor NonsolidHangBNoBrain : HangBNoBrain 12345 {
-SOLID
}

Alright.

Thanks a lot!!

The tutorial on the ZDoom wiki never explains when exactly to use "X Replaces X", and that's always been a source of confusion for me.

Thank you again!

Because that page has nothing to do with the replaces keyword. Replacing doesn't actually have anything to do with inheritance, only in that incidentally you can use both at the same time.

You put Replaces when you want to replace something. I don't get the confusion.

The Actor Blah2 : Blah replaces Blah construct is often used when you want to replace a monster by a tweaked variant of it, but it's not in any way necessary.

You can perfectly well have something like Actor lulz : Cyberdemon replaces DoomImp {} for example.

To add to the explanations, let's break it down:

Actor PlasmaZombie
The above simply defines the new actor. Now, we next define inheritance if we want it. Inheritance is to use another actor as the base. If we're making a new version of the Doom zombie, we'd inherit the zombie like so:
 : ZombieMan
Now the plasma Zombie would act exactly like the zombieman, because you've inherited it. Anything you specify in your actor would now overwrite the copied information, such as modifying it's movement speed or health.
 replaces ZombieMan
Lastly, defining that this replaces the zombieman means that all existing zombiemen will be replaced with your new actor.

To recap, you define a new actor, you can then inherit an already existing actor, and then you can replace an actor afterwards; it might seem confusing because you're replacing the actor you're inheriting.

I hope this clears it up somewhat. You'll find practices like this in all sorts of programming languages, so if you're dabbling in computers, modding and/or programming this is a good thing to learn.

A basic example of a language would be CSS - a web styling language which makes heavy use of inheritance.

Dragonfly said:

You'll find practices like this in all sorts of programming languages, so if you're dabbling in computers, modding and/or programming this is a good thing to learn.

Very good, thank you. That easily clears up my confusion. The page I linked to gives examples of both inheriting and replacing but doesn't stop to explain the fine print.

I think others like myself would appreciate this explanation on the page I linked to, or at least a link from that page to these explanations if they already exist there.

Well, to be fair, the DECORATE format specifications page is the first page linked from the main page about DECORATE, and literally all DECORATE-related knowledge is implicitly based on it. Perhaps every DECORATE-related page could link to the format specifications just in case the reader didn't know them yet... But it's better to assume that readers are familiar with basics of DECORATE format when they're reading advanced DECORATE pages already.

@scifista42, can you please assist me in modifying this custom chainsaw to deal 50% more damage, and exclude randomized damage?

Spoiler

Actor Chainsaw1 : Chainsaw replaces Chainsaw
{
Weapon.SlotNumber 1
Weapon.SlotPriority 0
Weapon.SelectionOrder 9100

States
{
Deselect:
SAWG C 0 A_Lower
SAWG C 1 A_Lower
Loop
Select:
SAWG C 0 A_Raise
SAWG C 1 A_Raise
Loop
}
}

Thank you greatly in advance.

1. I think you could accept a correct answer from anybody, no need to call me.
2. Use A_Saw with custom parameters as in the specification, with damage 16 (that's roughly 50% more than 11, the normal Chainsaw's average damage) and with SF_NORANDOM flag.