Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

If you are making a staircase of evenly sized rectangular sectors in a row next to each other, use Draw Grid mode to generate them all at once.

scifista42 said:

If you are making a staircase of evenly sized rectangular sectors in a row next to each other, use Draw Grid mode to generate them all at once.

Also there's a stairmaker plugin.

For MaxED: In newer builds of GZDB, there is a little area of blurring/discoloration around the line length display.

http://i.imgur.com/WfdL9PD.jpg?1

Is there a way to get rid of this? It makes it completely irritating, at least for me. (I already lowered the font size, which often resulted in a sea of big numbers blocking everything.)

Also it would be preferable if there was a preference option to keep the L: ___ A:___ format of past versions. (And also an option to not display any info at all, which could be quite useful.)

MaxED said:

I really need to play with GZDB's options and features more. Everything I make is manually crafted, and I drew a stairset in that exact manner, by hand, not too long ago.

...Maybe this hand-crafted aspect could be a selling point though?

Dragonfly said:

I really need to play with GZDB's options and features more. Everything I make is manually crafted, and I drew a stairset in that exact manner, by hand, not too long ago.

...Maybe this hand-crafted aspect could be a selling point though?

I use the curve linedef function.

Apparently it's possible to emulate that with bridge mode. Cool.

rdwpa said:

In newer builds of GZDB, there is a little area of blurring/discoloration around the line length display.

It's just a half-transparent rectangle.

rdwpa said:

Is there a way to get rid of this?

No.

rdwpa said:

Also it would be preferable if there was a preference option to keep the L: ___ A:___ format of past versions.

While Draw Lines mode is active, there's the "Show Guidelines" button on the top panel.

rdwpa said:

For MaxED: In newer builds of GZDB, there is a little area of blurring/discoloration around the line length display.

http://i.imgur.com/WfdL9PD.jpg?1

Is there a way to get rid of this? It makes it completely irritating, at least for me. (I already lowered the font size, which often resulted in a sea of big numbers blocking everything.)

That's a translucent overlay to create more contrast around the numbers. Use an orange floor texture and try again to see if it's so annoying that the numbers remain legible.

MaxED said:

It's just a half-transparent rectangle.
No.
While Draw Lines mode is active, there's the "Show Guidelines" button on the top panel.

It's just a half-transparent rectangle, but I still find it annoying. Yeah I saw the show guidelines option, but it completely gets in the way. I'll try to track down a circa April 19, 2016 build, one with the new features except for this latest set of changes. If not I'll keep using the early 2015 version I have.

Anyway, thank you for developing GZDB -- it has been quite useful.

Gez said:

That's a translucent overlay to create more contrast around the numbers. Use an orange floor texture and try again to see if it's so annoying that the numbers remain legible.

I use wireframe mode basically always, except on rare specific occasions. That's not an issue with my setup, at all. Good job on the unnecessary snark.

Anyway, changing the highlight color seems to make it quite tolerable, probably because I'm not so used to the way the orange lines normally look. Mission accomplished.

Don't know if this has been already asked before, but how do i remove items from certain difficulties via mapinfo? Say, i want to remove all medikits and stimpaks from UV and NM, how do i do that?
I tried to replace them with "0" using ReplaceActor function, but it didn't work.. Any solutions?

Also, another one: how to remove a skill level entirely?

1. Make a dummy DECORATE actor that immediately removes itself from the map after being spawned, and replace whatever actors you want with that dummy actor.
2. Use "clearskills" command and then redefine the skill levels you want to keep.

But how do i make an actor that immediately removes itself?
Well, i did this (and it obviously didn't work):

actor DummyThing
{
    Spawn:
        stop
}
Also, thanks, clearskills thing worked.

PureSlime said:

Nope. Bevel and Subdivisions are there, but the continuous drawing button is not.

You need to use a more recent version of GZDB.
You have to be in one of the Drawing Modes.

Turns out the ZDoom forums thread hasn't been updated in a little while (since 2.3). So yeah, I'm on 2.6 now and it's there. Thanks. I'm a dummy.

I know I can move things around in Visual Mode with the arrow keys, but can I move Things in Visual Mode by clicking and dragging them with the mouse?

You can't drag them, but you can use Ctrl+MButton to move selected things to the crosshair location.

So I'm trying to make a trigger where the player grabs an item and two actions happen simultaneously:

http://imgur.com/a/HyCyG

The door opens and the lights (the highlighted sector) shut off

As you can see I have the soulsphere connected to the door but I can't seem to connect the soulsphere to the lights and get it to work properly. How would I do that?

You'll need to use ACS for this.

Script 1 (Void)
{
Door_Open(tag, speed, lighttag);
delay(20);
Light_ChangeToValue(tag, value);
}

Edit: Set the trigger to action 80 and give it a new script number or name. Make sure to include " #include "zcommon.acs" " at the top. Omit the delay if it's not needed a delay of 20 will hardly be noticeable. (They are tics and I think they are each 1/35 of a second long. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)).

Edit2: I'm not entirely sure what "lighttag" does, so "light_changetovalue" might not actually be needed. Just screw around with it and check out the zdoom wiki under acs for other cool stuff.

That script worked like a charm, thanks!

I've never used a script before, so when I click Compile Script that means it's saved, right? Just making sure.

doomydoom said:

That script worked like a charm, thanks!

I've never used a script before, so when I click Compile Script that means it's saved, right? Just making sure.

Compiling the script is essentially saving it, yes. A lot more is going on in the background, but, for simplicity's sake that's probably the best way to word it. Remember to save the map itself in Doom Builder though.

If you're looking to learn how to write your own scripts (something I would really reccommend), you can reference the functions available from the ZDoom Wiki. I would also reccommend looking at the scripts used in other maps. Don't copy/paste them, but use them as reference on how to achieve your goals.

everennui said:

Edit2: I'm not entirely sure what "lighttag" does

It's for a Boom effect. The idea is that when you open the door, it can let some light in, right? A normal Doom door (D1 or DR Door, in Doom format) does not use its tag since it opens up the back sector, which means that the tag can be used for something else. So it's used for a sector whose light level will increase when the door is opened, and decrease when the door closes. You can see that demonstrated in Boomedit.wad.

If you don't care about trying out this effect, you can leave lighttag to 0, or omit it entirely in a script.

I can't quiet figure out the MAPINFO definitions.

map MAP01 "caves"
{
	compat_missileclip "no"
	ProjectilePassHeight = -100
}
levelnum 1
titlepatch CWILV00
next MAP02
secretnext MAP02
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 5
par 666
music D_RUNNIN
Is this not how the properties are supposed to be implemented to MAP?

Edit: I tried it with the curly brace at the bottom too. No luck.

You are mixing old MAPINFO syntax (no = and no {}) with new MAPINFO syntax (using = and {}) with DECORATE (!!!) (ProjectilePassHeight), which of course can't work. I'm going to show you how to use new MAPINFO syntax, where properties belonging to the particular map should be within the brackets.

map MAP01 "caves"
{
  compat_missileclip
  levelnum = 1
  titlepatch = CWILV00
  next = MAP02
  secretnext = MAP02
  sky1 = SKY1, 0
  cluster = 5
  par = 666
  music = D_RUNNIN
}
If you don't want "compat_missileclip" to be set, omit the line from the MAPINFO.
ProjectilePassHeight needs to be set for a particular actor in DECORATE.