Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Also a projectilepassheight of -100 would mean that with compat_missileclip on, decorations would block projectiles on a height of 100 map units... (Instead of just 16 as in vanilla Doom.)

Thanks, Scifista!

Gez said:

Also a projectilepassheight of -100 would mean that with compat_missileclip on, decorations would block projectiles on a height of 100 map units... (Instead of just 16 as in vanilla Doom.)

Okay... I wasn't sure if it would take in to account that I had various heights (I don't know why.), so I was just trying to play it safe. I should set it to = 0 if I use it? By default, the firestricks do block projectiles?

I know that I fucked it up, but it still somehow worked before... when it was in it's more primitive state...

map MAP01 "caves"
{
compat_missileclip "no"
ProjectilePassHeight = -100
}

Unless I did something to the decorate file, but I can't really find it right now because I have so many different DECORATE files. (Just one example of why organizational skills are very important.) I can't remember if I included that or not.

It's working now. BP

Edit: a.) passheight = 0

b.) compat_missileclip = 1

The projectilepassheight = -100 was simply ignored. If you'd looked at the console log, you'd have seen a warning about it.

When you added more stuff to the MAPINFO, it stopped working because you put the new stuff outside the brackets and used the old syntax (without =) and you can't mix syntaxes.

Just don't touch the ProjectilePassHeight stuff. The default for decorative actors like the firestick is -16; this means that when compat_missileclip is on it only blocks projectiles on up to 16 units from the ground; and when compat_missileclip is off, then it doesn't use the PPH at all, instead it uses the regular height.

You want the vanilla Doom behavior for missile collisions with trees and torches? Put "compat_missileclip" in MAPINFO and that's all, do nothing else. You want projectiles to be blocked by these things? Don't put compat_missileclip in MAPINFO. Simple.

Gez said:

You want projectiles to be blocked by these things? Don't put compat_missileclip in MAPINFO. Simple.

Actually, if you absolutely depend on them blocking the projectile, put compat_missileclip = 0 in there. That will override any user setting.

Question:
How do I make those linedef walls? There's one seen in the first map of Doom II: Hell on Earth where the imp is trapped.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out.

Is there a way to if/while acs functions to have more than one condition?

I want to have mancubus walk on a bridge that then breaks under its' weight. To do I'm trying to to use an until loop. I need to have the mancubus in the right sector and at the right height for the bridge breaking feel immersive.

illuknisaa said:

Is there a way to if/while acs functions to have more than one condition?

Combining several conditions into just one is what the boolean operators && (and) and || (or) are there for.

I wrote this and it compiled fine but when I try to play test I get "syntax error in expression" and "missing ")"". Both on line 113.

script 8 (void) 
{
	until (ThingCountSector(T_MANCUBUS,6,47) > 0 && GetActorFloorZ(6) > -384)
		{ //this is line 113
			delay (15);
		}
	FloorAndCeiling_LowerByValue (48,100,22*8);
}

Beware that GetActorFloorZ returns the floor height as a fixed point number, so that the constant -384 needs to be a fixed point number as well (write it as -384.0). This is probably (?) not the reason why the script fails to compile, though. Which line in your script is line 113? Nevermind. I don't see anything else wrong with the "until" line.

I'm getting an unexpected HOM error related to a moving floor and was wondering if anyone might know 1) why this is happening, and 2) if there's a solution other than reworking the geometry. Screenshots in the spoiler block.

Spoiler

Platform in its raised position, player facing west:

Platform in its raised position, player facing east; the visible switch lowers the platform:

Platform in its lowered position, playing facing east, tunnel mouth seen from inside:

Platform in its lowered position, player facing west, tunnel mouth seen from outside:

The HOM seems to be occurring because the engine is trying to render a mid texture that isn't there; indeed, if I put an opaque mid texture in it renders it correctly. What I don't get is why the engine is convinced there should be a mid texture there. Any opinions or assistance are very much appreciated.

(For reference, port is ZDOOM 2.8pre-1701-gd786148 64-bit)

Do you have a lower texture around the platform linedefs?

Gez said:

Do you have a lower texture around the platform linedefs?

Yep. BRICK2 on the 'back' of the platform (the lower texture faces west and is visible in screenshot 2). The lower texture on the front of that linedef is never visible (the platform stops at that level, it's a Type 221, S1 Floor Lower to Nearest Floor) but I've tested with a lower texture both present and absent and received the same results.

Hey, this probably isn't a good place to ask (I'm mainly asking here because I can't post a thread at the moment) but how do you put specific resources into GZDoom Builder?

I downloaded some resources off Realm667 but I don't know how to make them usable in GZDoom. They're mainly props, NPCs and texture packs. Can anyone help me?

SharkLordSatan said:

Can anyone help me?

Sure thing!

The best tool for resource management is SLADE 3. Using SLADE you can manage your assets and create a single WAD / PK3, which you can then use as a resource WAD / PK3 when editing your map within GZDoom Builder.

If you're a new mapper I would highly recommend not using custom assets until you're skilled with the software and familiar with the mechanics of Doom and it's various engines/source ports. Apologies if that sounds condescending in any way.

Best of luck in your mapping endeavors. If there's any issue with what I said or you need a little help with SLADE itself, drop a post here and I'm sure I or someone else can help.

Dragonfly said:

Sure thing!

The best tool for resource management is SLADE 3. Using SLADE you can manage your assets and create a single WAD / PK3, which you can then use as a resource WAD / PK3 when editing your map within GZDoom Builder.

If you're a new mapper I would highly recommend not using custom assets until you're skilled with the software and familiar with the mechanics of Doom and it's various engines/source ports. Apologies if that sounds condescending in any way.

Best of luck in your mapping endeavors. If there's any issue with what I said or you need a little help with SLADE itself, drop a post here and I'm sure I or someone else can help.

Okay, thank you! I'm assuming you mean this by creating a single, custom WAD that contains all of the stuff I download.
I can probably do this but I don't know how to do it, as i've only used SLADE 3 so far for extracting sprites lol

I have made a simple monster, as far as I can tell my syntax and script are ok (aside from my states, I had a lot of difficulty with those making my weapons), but whenever I place it in the game the sprite is not there. I have collision and audio, but the graphics just aren't there. I am not sure if I messed up when I made the sprite or am just awful at writing states.

Hello,

Doom 2016 sparked my love for the classic Doom anew, so I decided to make my own wad. I read and watched some tutorials and... basic stuff just doesn't seem to work sometimes.

1. Simple doors (or doors with keys) sometimes don't work, when I press the use button
2. Some switches aren't animated when used
3. Sides of doors move, even when "lower unplugged" is activated.
4. Simple doors can only be activated from one side, even when both linedefs are configured correctly

I would be thankful, if someone with more experience would open my .wad and explain me what I'm doing wrong.

Programs I used: GZDoom Builder (Maps), SLADE (editing map names and music).
Port: Boom

WAD link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ocjndf9EQXMk04MHVCTlU5c1E/view

(The WAD has 2 maps, the second one is unfinished)

Noobirus said:

4. Simple doors can only be activated from one side, even when both linedefs are configured correctly

I can't necessarily help with the rest of these, but...

With your point 2), are you talking about, for example, MAP01 switch linedefs 4527 and 4966, attached to sectors 439 and 539 respectively? If so, I think this may be because the 'front' sidedef of each switch texture faces inward, into the raised sector, and the visible face that the player is pushing (and to which the switch texture is applied) is the 'back' of the linedef. I did some testing with minor tweaks and it looks like flipping these linedefs so that the front sidedef faces outward solves the problem.

(I'd also recommend removed the Action 23 from the other three sides of each of these raised switch-sectors, otherwise the player can walk around them and press each of the four sides, even the three which don't have switch textures applied.)

With your point 4), I think this is also to do with sidedef facing - the player has to activate the switch/door from the front, so make sure your linedefs face 'outward' from the door sector.

EDIT: Actually, with the switches I'm talking about in response to your point 2), I goofed a little: if the player walks up to the switch that's displayed on, say, the back of line 4527, and hits 'use' (spacebar), the switch on that line doesn't animate because the player's attempt to activate it doesn't trigger the line from the back, and switch that's actually getting activated is line 4529.

@TheOrganGrinder
*facepalm* Yep, It seems flipping linedefs solves all my problems, I had no idea there was an option like this. Thanks!

Noobirus said:

1. Simple doors (or doors with keys) sometimes don't work, when I press the use button

Each usable side of the door should have its front linedef (the side of the line with a little perpendicular dash in its middle) facing outward. A line can only be activated from its front side. Use the flip line function (F key when the line is selected) to solve the issue when a door's line shows its backside. I see your doors tend to have both sides facing the same direction, meaning that one of the lines shows its back while the other shows its front.

Here's an example:

Spoiler

See how SLADE's map editor highlight in green the sector affected by the selected line? If the door worked, the green sector would be the door, instead of the area outside. How to fix: just flip the line.

Noobirus said:

That's the same issue. Look at this:

Spoiler

All four linedefs of your switch block have the effect, instead of only the one that has the switch texture. When you activate it, you don't activate the line with the switch texture because it's showing its back side, instead you activate another, which doesn't have a switch texture.

How to fix:
1. Flip switch line so that it shows its front side
2. Remove special from other three lines

Noobirus said:

3. Sides of doors move, even when "lower unplugged" is activated.

Playing your map, I haven't noticed that. The only place where I have seen that was at the end, with a marble block that lowers, instead of raising. Leave the wall sides pegged in this case (so, not unpegged).

Noobirus said:

Same issue again.

you can still use animated wall namespaces in an IWAD that dont have corresponding textures, right? i.e. if i made a set of textures to animate, could i name them like blodgr_, sladrip_, or wfall_ and have them work in a doom 2 map?

Hambourgeois said:

you can still use animated wall namespaces in an IWAD that dont have corresponding textures, right? i.e. if i made a set of textures to animate, could i name them like blodgr_, sladrip_, or wfall_ and have them work in a doom 2 map?

Yes.

Right, so I am working on another custom monster, and I need to make the sprites from the back appear as well as the ones from the front. I am pretty sure it has to d with the "views" (i.e, the numbers at the end of the sprite names) but I don't know what number corresponds to what direction.

I'm relatively new to mapping, I started using Doombuilder 2 over a year ago. I feel that I am getting a hang of it. One question I have is about lighting. I want to make a lava pit, I want the pit to be bright but I don't want the ceiling to have that bright spot on it. If that makes any sense? I'm positive I've seen that effect somewhere.

Piper Maru said:

I'm relatively new to mapping, I started using Doombuilder 2 over a year ago. I feel that I am getting a hang of it. One question I have is about lighting. I want to make a lava pit, I want the pit to be bright but I don't want the ceiling to have that bright spot on it. If that makes any sense? I'm positive I've seen that effect somewhere.

I am not sure, but I believe that can only be done with GZBuilder.

Piper Maru said:

It depends on what engine you're mapping for.

If you want vanilla compatibility you'll have to use some rendering hacks. With Boom you can transfer brightness from a control sector to a floor or ceiling, so that it won't use their own sector brightness. With ZDoom you can control each surface independently.

So, I was working on the audio for my custom monster, and the audio does not play. here is the file structure:
(code is "PainSound "grunt/gruntpain""
SOUNDS
|
GRUNT
|
gruntpain (audio file)

it is in the doom audio format. it was converted from an 8 bit wav by slade.