Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

scifista42 said:

Also, you mention linedef special 281, that means you are probably mapping in Doom format... ...you should use UDMF format.

...that actually explains a lot. thank you so much for your help!

scifista42 said:

Your wording is a bit confused, but the answer is yes. Also, Doom Builder is just a map editor. To insert non-map content into wads, such as sprites and txt files, you need SLADE3. After you do that, though, you will be able to use the monsters when mapping in Doom Builder.

Thank you, i was wondering why it was using "Pain".I haven't seen anything on doom spriting. Do new sprites need to conform to size/a color palette or anything like that?

The size you will need to decide yourself, and you can convert them to the doom color palette and format with slade.

Trivial question here but all of the sudden when I test in Doombuilder 2 there are no enemies? I can't seem to find any settings either that give you that option nor did I change any in the first place. Thanks in advance!

You might be testing in -nomo. In the testing options dropdown (looks like a play sign, and it should be in a toolbar, not the menu), make sure the caco that is selected is alive.

rdwpa said:

You might be testing in -nomo. In the testing options dropdown (looks like a play sign, and it should be in a toolbar, not the menu), make sure the caco that is selected is alive.

It was that simple haha, thanks man.

Cerebrate64 said:

Do new sprites need to conform to size/a color palette or anything like that?

For ZDoom? No.

DoctaCaffeine said:

How do you make the death of an enemy end the level, for example, killing the Cyberdemon in E2M8? I am using Slade 3 and Doom Builder 2, and am modding Doom 2.

Depends on what port you're using. If you're targeting vanilla, then you're out of luck: your only option to have the level end with the death of a monster is to make that level E2M8 or E3M8 and to have the monster be a cyberdemon or a spiderdemon, respectively.

With, say, ZDoom, on the other hand, there are multiple different ways of achieving that result -- you can do that in the map itself, or in DECORATE, or in MAPINFO...

Gez said:

Depends on what port you're using. If you're targeting vanilla, then you're out of luck: your only option to have the level end with the death of a monster is to make that level E2M8 or E3M8 and to have the monster be a cyberdemon or a spiderdemon, respectively.

With, say, ZDoom, on the other hand, there are multiple different ways of achieving that result -- you can do that in the map itself, or in DECORATE, or in MAPINFO...

I am using ZDoom. I would suppose there would be something to put in MAPINFO, then.

Okay, so quick overview of the various ways how you can do "kill monster to end level" in ZDoom.

ZMAPINFO:
Prerequisite: the monster type to kill must be a boss monster. In Doom II, that means BaronOfHell, Cyberdemon, SpiderMastermind, Fatso, or Arachnotron.
In you ZMAPINFO map definition, put the following:

SpecialAction = "Cyberdemon", Exit_Normal, 0
Replace "Cyberdemon" by the appropriate monster name. Fatso is the mancubus, by the way. You may also instead use one of the predefined special actions, for example:
CyberdemonSpecial
SpecialAction_ExitLevel
DECORATE:
If you use a custom boss, and there's only one of them which you have to kill, then you can put Exit_Normal(0) right in its death animation, like you would put a codepointer.

As an example, here's how you could do a cyberdemon that always ends the level when you kill it:
Actor Cyberxit : Cyberdemon
{
    States
    {
        CYBR H 10
        CYBR I 10 A_Scream
        CYBR JKL 10
        CYBR M 10 A_NoBlocking
        CYBR NO 10
        CYBR P 30
        CYBR P -1 Exit_Normal(0)
        Stop
    }
}
In a more general way, you can make a different version of any monster you want, make it call A_BossDeath and give it the BOSSDEATH flag, then you can use it with the ZMAPINFO method above.

ACS:
Basically you'll want to use ThingCount or its more convenient variant ThingCountName.

Map, no script:
Prerequisite: only one boss monster to kill, map format Hexen or UDMF.
Simply put Exit_Normal as the monster's special. It'll be run when the monster is killed.

This is probably a really easy thing to fix, but... I'm making a map in Doom 2 UDMF format, and using GZDoom to test. Blood pools I placed on the map, for some reason seem to be below the floor in the game. Anyone know how to fix this?

CorvCorp said:

This is probably a really easy thing to fix, but... I'm making a map in Doom 2 UDMF format, and using GZDoom to test. Blood pools I placed on the map, for some reason seem to be below the floor in the game. Anyone know how to fix this?

Are they custom blood pools? and you can raise the blood pools themselves in UDMF.

Godfather38 said:

Are they custom blood pools? and you can raise the blood pools themselves in UDMF.

They're the vanilla small blood pools. And I've tried that, they're still in the same spot in the floor.

CorvCorp said:

..... for some reason seem to be below the floor in the game. Anyone know how to fix this?

All sprites have a certain offset.
The software renderet (as in ZDoom) takes these offsets into account properly, but the hardware renderer (as in GZDoom) displays them slightly different. Therefore, GZDoom has an option which can compensate for this discrepancy.

Have the scene with the blood splashes open in GZDoom, then select Options

while you change the clipping options the offsets will be adjusted.

Kappes Buur said:

All sprites have a certain offset.
The software renderet (as in ZDoom) takes these offsets into account properly, but the hardware renderer (as in GZDoom) displays them slightly different. Therefore, GZDoom has an option which can compensate for this discrepancy.

Have the scene with the blood splashes open in GZDoom, then select Options
http://i.imgur.com/9J7oMZu.png
while you change the clipping options the offsets will be adjusted.

That did it, Thanks Kappes.

Hey everybody, I'm new here so I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask something like this (not sure if this would fall under editing or wads or what).

I'm running GZDoom and playing Brutal Doom on top of it, but I'd like to add a handful of things. Specifically:

* Playstation Doom's sounds, replacing the vanilla ones.
* Playstation Doom's reverb effects on weapons, monsters, etc.
* The Playstation Doom intro (Doom logo rising out of the fire)

It would be logical to just use the Playstation conversion pack since I want several features of PSX Doom, but this seems to cause some issues when also using Brutal Doom. There IS a Brutal Doom + PSX TC mod out there, but for some reason this seems to not onclude (or it disables) the Brutal Doom options such as new weapon and monster ability options.

So, I decided that I'd just like to throw in that small handful of PSX Doom elements into my already existing game, if I can. Can it be done?

miketheratguy said:

Hey everybody, I'm new here so I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask something like this (not sure if this would fall under editing or wads or what).

I'm running GZDoom and playing Brutal Doom on top of it, but I'd like to add a handful of things. Specifically:

* Playstation Doom's sounds, replacing the vanilla ones.
* Playstation Doom's reverb effects on weapons, monsters, etc.
* The Playstation Doom intro (Doom logo rising out of the fire)

It would be logical to just use the Playstation conversion pack since I want several features of PSX Doom, but this seems to cause some issues when also using Brutal Doom. There IS a Brutal Doom + PSX TC mod out there, but for some reason this seems to not onclude (or it disables) the Brutal Doom options such as new weapon and monster ability options.

So, I decided that I'd just like to throw in that small handful of PSX Doom elements into my already existing game, if I can. Can it be done?

It is possible, but very difficult. if you just want it for yourself then then it would probably be easier if you just took the bits from that PS TC and make a little mod out of that, just don't release it though. if you want something original, however, then you are gonna have some work on your hands.

Godfather38 said:

It is possible, but very difficult. if you just want it for yourself then then it would probably be easier if you just took the bits from that PS TC and make a little mod out of that, just don't release it though. if you want something original, however, then you are gonna have some work on your hands.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I should have pointed out that this is just for myself, for my own private use. I have no idea how to make mods and little to no creativity (to say nothing of patience, lol) so it wouldn't be something that I'd release. Just some modifications that I'd be making to my own game.

I've still got a copy of the PSX TC but don't know how to go about pruning it to make my own mod. I'd be happy to try to learn though. I figured that maybe it would be a simple matter of removing some files from it (such as the sounds folder) and placing it into the Brutal Doom pk3, but I tried that already and it didn't work.

Godfather38 said:

you will have to rename the files to the same name as the ones they are replacing in a separate file.

I see that there's a PSX Doom sound mod or two out there so I'm guessing that this would cover those files. As for the reverb settings and the Playstation intro, what files would I be replacing? I'm not sure how to tell what pieces I should use from the PSX TC mod.

Also, what kind of file would I need to pack them into? Just a new pk3?

Yes, a new pk3, and as for the reverb and the intro, I have absolutely no idea honestly. You might be able to swap the intro by finding the sprites for the intro in the TC.

Godfather38 said:

Yes, a new pk3, and as for the reverb and the intro, I have absolutely no idea honestly. You might be able to swap the intro by finding the sprites for the intro in the TC.

Alright, well I've got no problem renaming some files and repackaging them as a new pk3, I'm just not sure exactly which files I'd be carrying over from the TC. I don't know, for example, what determines reverb nor what file or folder corresponds to the Playstation fire intro.

One other question though: The contents of the PSX TC are packaged with a BAT file. If I take a bunch of pieces out of the TC and pack them up into my own pk3, would they even still work? Wouldn't they require that specific BAT file?

Wait, its in a BAT file? That is an old school mod man, but either way if you name the files your taking they should work. BAT is a windows batch file (I think), and if its what I think it is the bat just makes all the files load instead of the vanilla ones (or its an installer that replaces them). I thought people only used batch for duke 3d.

Godfather38 said:

Wait, its in a BAT file? That is an old school mod man, but either way if you name the files your taking they should work. BAT is a windows batch file (I think), and if its what I think it is the bat just makes all the files load instead of the vanilla ones (or its an installer that replaces them). I thought people only used batch for duke 3d.

Lol idunno, the PSX TC came with it. It's got a BAT file, a "PSXDOOM" pk3 and "PSXLOAD" pk3. This is version 2.134 of the TC pack and if I remember my browsing from earlier I got it from this site so I figured that it would be the most recent version.

Yeah, its what I thought. just dig through the PK3's. that is really neat that you found something like that for doom. I wonder if there are others like it.

Godfather38 said:

Yeah, its what I thought. just dig through the PK3's. that is really neat that you found something like that for doom. I wonder if there are others like it.

Wait, what's really neat? I thought that this PSX Doom conversion would be pretty common but you're making me start to think that it's something unusual or obscure, lol. I'm confused. :)

Well, it might be common, but the use of batch files for doom mods is really interesting. I wonder if the devs have any experience with duke nukem 3d, but this is getting off topic. are there any other questions you might have?

Godfather38 said:

Well, it might be common, but the use of batch files for doom mods is really interesting. I wonder if the devs have any experience with duke nukem 3d, but this is getting off topic. are there any other questions you might have?

I see. Well, I'm still kind of confused about exactly what files I need to accomplish what I'm trying to do, but that might require someone with specific familiarity of the PSX TC pack. For example one of the things that I mentioned trying to do was add the Playstation Doom title screen to my game, which is included in the TC but I have no idea which file it is so I don't know what to repackage into my own pk3.

I do have one other, individual question: I've been playing GZDoom by dragging whatever wads and pk3s I'm using (such as Brutal Doom) onto the GDZoom exe. If I'm selecting multiple files to drag onto the exe at once, does it matter what order those files are in?