Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Kappes Buur said:

Then load EAX.wad into GZDoom Builder while at the same time having open reverbs.txt from g/zdoom.pk3.

Or examine it in the Sound Environments mode after opening it in GZDB.

Kappes Buur said:

It is relatively easy if you are using G/ZDoom.
Download and play EAX.WAD.
Then open and read http://zdoom.org/wiki/REVERBS .
Then load EAX.wad into GZDoom Builder while at the same time having open reverbs.txt from g/zdoom.pk3.

That should show you the way.

I don't really understand what any of that means, lol. I'm brand new to this stuff. But if that's where you think that I should begin, to understand these kinds of things, then I'll definitely look into it.

Dragonfly said:

I enthuse you add reverbs to your maps. Something about maps that use reverbs effectively (but not excessively) make me smile a lot more than they should.

I love the reverb. I actually played the PSX version before the PC version (though the SNES edition was my first) so I'm partial to the effects of the PSX version. I figured that any additions and changes that I make would only be for myself though, I'm trying to apply these things to just some random maps that I've generated for myself with OBLIGE. I don't really know anything about actual map-making, how to make things that are high quality, etc., so I just kind of assumed that no one else would see them.

scifista42 said:

First multiple sector tags belonging to a single sector, then vertice heights to define slopes, UDMF keeps surprising me. :)
This sounds like an unclean implementation, though. What about a new sector property ("svertex" or something) which would define the vertex (with a zfloor/zceiling set) that the sector is supposed to slope towards? Sectors with this property set would slope, and other sectors would not, regardless of their number of vertices.

With triangular sectors, you will have a valid flat plane no matter where you put the X, Y, and Z of the vertices. This is not true for sectors with more sides. That is why it is limited to triangles only.

Another question, that's probably lurking on the forums somewhere I missed. Let's say, you have a linedef you want to be activated, but it's behind another linedef. Is there a way to activate it? Like, use through the unimportant linedef? I've tried "pass use on", but I don't think I'm understanding how it works. I'm editing in Doom 2 UDMF format

CorvCorp said:

Another question, that's probably lurking on the forums somewhere I missed. Let's say, you have a linedef you want to be activated, but it's behind another linedef. Is there a way to activate it? Like, use through the unimportant linedef? I've tried "pass use on", but I don't think I'm understanding how it works. I'm editing in Doom 2 UDMF format

Do you mean you have like a button engraved inside a wall? You should be able to able to activate it without doing anything special. I'm not sure what happens if both lines do something special when activated but I think it should still work by just activating the lines normally.. If both lines do something only the first will work. "pass on use" "fixes" this.

illuknisaa said:

Do you mean you have like a button engraved inside a wall? You should be able to able to activate it without doing anything special. I'm not sure what happens if both lines do something special when activated but I think it should still work by just activating the lines normally.. If both lines do something only the first will work. "pass on use" "fixes" this.

So, yeah you're right. Thing is, if it's not marked to do so, you can't use the back of linedefs, which is what was happening here. I'm a huge idiot, and thanks.

Empyre said:

With triangular sectors, you will have a valid flat plane no matter where you put the X, Y, and Z of the vertices. This is not true for sectors with more sides. That is why it is limited to triangles only.

Yes, but it limits the mapper's possibilities, that's what I mean. Maybe he wants to slope a non-triangular sector. Maybe he wants to NOT slope a specific triangular sector bordering with the vertice. He can't cleanly use this method either way.

It would be nice if sectors would be sloped when they have three vertices with a slope height, even if they have more vertices in total than that.

However, keep in mind that it's always possible to split a non-triangular sector into a sloped triangular sector and the rest of the area which shares the same slope thanks to a slope copy thing or a plane_copy line.

How so? A plane is defined by three points. With four points or more in 3D space, you have no guarantee they'd be all no the same plane.

Besides, it's not the only way to define slopes in UDMF. You can also define the plane equation as a sector property...

scifista42 said:

Still pretty hacky for an Universal Map Format.

That's because this sloping method is just a minor extension of something that was invented by Vavoom.

For advanced universal sloping you'll need editor support, and that best stores its data in the plane equation values of the sector.

Does anyone know of any wads with destructible trees, presumably in ZDoom or higher* -- a thing with HP that can be shot and "killed"?

*(It's possible in Boom or lower of course, but unless you replace lost souls, it has the side effect of requiring the player to become a logger to get max kills. And if you do replace lost souls . . . well, I read in history class that the ancient Greeks used pain elementals to provide lumber for their ships.)

rdwpa said:

unless you replace lost souls, it has the side effect of requiring the player to become a logger to get max kills.

What you don't realize is that DEHACKED makes it perfectly possible to make any thing shootable (and killable) without counting towards kills percentage. There are separate flags for each trait. They aren't even hardcoded, you can set/unset them to/from any thing. (Or maybe you didn't even realize that DEHACKED exists and is vanilla compatible?) Anyway, making a destructible decoration in DEHACKED and making it replace some normal decoration should be easy.

Gez said:

How so? A plane is defined by three points. With four points or more in 3D space, you have no guarantee they'd be all no the same plane.

Besides, it's not the only way to define slopes in UDMF. You can also define the plane equation as a sector property...

Suppose I want to create a sloped floor with different heights at each vertex, but I want the heights at either 1, 2 or 3 of these vertexes to be specific and exact values. Here is a simple example with a triangular sector (but my previous sentence could apply to non-triangular sectors too):

Let's say I want Z1, Z2 and Z3 (which are the Z heights of the purple plane at vertexes V1, V2 and V3) to be specific exact numbers that I have in mind. What would be a convenient and non-hacky way to do this? (calculating a plane equation counts as inconvenient, and creating additional dummy sectors counts as hacky)

Since this sector is triangular, there is no problem.

If you have four or more sides, you have no choice but to split it. It's just how things are.

What if you want Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4, and Z5 to be very specific values, but unfortunately they don't align to a plane? What should the engine do then? Warp the plane so it's all wobbly? Compute some sort of average? Ignore the last two vertices?

Gez said:

Since this sector is triangular, there is no problem.

Really? So, how would I do it, if not by the ways I called inconvenient or hacky?

Gez said:

What if you want Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4, and Z5 to be very specific values, ... Ignore the last two vertices?

I said 1, 2 or (up to) 3 specific values (even if the sector had more vertices), so yes, ignore all of the vertices except for the (up to) 3 ones.

scifista42 said:

Really? So, how would I do it, if not by the ways I called inconvenient or hacky?

You want to set the height for three vertices. Then set the height for these three vertices. What do you want me to say? It's a triangular sector, so it'll just work.

I didn't realize that the UDMF feature could work if not just one, but all 3 vertices of a particular triangular sector had heights (I didn't read the article properly). Alright. Still too bad for non-triangular sectors. And for vertices with multiple sloped sectors touching them, each supposedly at a different height.

Another probably dumb scripting question. I'm following a tutorial on the Zdoom wiki that says to assign a Player start with Identification of 1 from the "Effects" tab. There is no effects tab in doombuilder 2, only actions, so I assumed I was supposed to assign a tag of 1.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/A_quick_beginner%27s_guide_to_ACS
The script is correct but does nothing.Compiled before starting level as well, and map is Doom in Hexen format.

I think that tutorial is wrong. I have never seen player start tags being transferred to the player mobj before... I changed it to something that should work.

Gez said:

I think that tutorial is wrong. I have never seen player start tags being transferred to the player mobj before... I changed it to something that should work.

Yes, that works. So by default a player does not have an ID? Is that why we are changing it to 1 with a script, or is that only to make it easier?

As far as I am aware, no the player does not have an ID. I also would consider it best practice (for multiplayer, especially) to give the player a unique ID based on their PlayerNumber.

This isn't necessary though, if it's okay for all players on your map to have the same thing happen to them at the same time then there's no worries giving them the same ID.

I can't find anything on custom sprites. What format do they need to be? I used some pngs and converted to doom format in slade, but when I start the wad the sprites are invisible. Going back into slade shows that the sprites are now colorless.

Is a lump the same thing as a Wad directory?

Cerebrate64 said:

I can't find anything on custom sprites. What format do they need to be? I used some pngs and converted to doom format in slade, but when I start the wad the sprites are invisible. Going back into slade shows that the sprites are now colorless.

Your sprites need to adhere to a simple name convention, 4 letters, then a frame letter (the sprites should be in doom format for vanilla), and then a view number. and no, a lump is not a directory. if you are using a gl port then you may need to modify your offsets on the sprites.

Quickie: I'm trying to make an arachnotron that walks on the ceiling as opposed to the floor with Boom Dehacked. It spawns on the ceiling, then instantly drops to the floor when it sees the player. How do I get it to stick? The only Dehacked flags currently set are SOLID, SHOOTABLE, SPAWNCEILING and NOGRAVITY. Nothing else has been changed, aside from sprites.

Hmm, would I actually need to turn something that already hangs from the ceiling into an arachnotron? I'm not well versed in Dehacked.

Cerebrate64 said:

For your confusion wrt. terminology, see the wiki. Also, why not glossary.

On to colorlessness. I'll quote myself:

Gez said:

Grayscale pictures in SLADE 3? Set up the base resource archive or at least use the palette chooser dropdown.

Here's what you should look out for:

And here's where they are:

Spoiler

Of course, while I was uploading a flashing gif, scifista went and ninjaed me.

And, to finish with the first point: your sprite is probably not invisible, but hidden away below the floor. It's a question of offsets: the engine needs to know where the origin point in the picture is, and when no offsets are set it uses 0, 0 for origin points, unfortunately that's the top left corner of the image. Generally you want the offset to be at the bottom center. SLADE can automatically add offsets to the images if you ask it to.

AD_79 said:

Quickie: I'm trying to make an arachnotron that walks on the ceiling as opposed to the floor with Boom Dehacked. It spawns on the ceiling, then instantly drops to the floor when it sees the player. How do I get it to stick? The only Dehacked flags currently set are SOLID, SHOOTABLE, SPAWNCEILING and NOGRAVITY. Nothing else has been changed, aside from sprites.

Hmm, would I actually need to turn something that already hangs from the ceiling into an arachnotron? I'm not well versed in Dehacked.

Although I am not familiar with dehacked, I can say that your issue would be fixed in the "states" section of decorate, find something pertaining to missile I would assume. of course dehacked is mainly meant for replacers as far as I know, so you may indeed still have to replace a monster that already hangs on the ceiling.

AD_79 said:

The logic you need for this behavior exists in Strife, but not in Boom.

You could do something with MBF, though: make a monster with SPAWNCEILING and NOGRAVITY so it's on the floor, and when it sees the player, it spawns (using an MBF codepointer) another monster which does not have NOGRAVITY and disappears. You'll need to sacrifice two different mobj types, but I don't see any other way to do that in pure Dehacked.

I'm trying to edit the sky in Heretic with three different sky textures I've created. Each level uses one of the textures, the first three levels using SKY1, the next two using SKY2, and the last three using SKY3. I've edited the mapinfo file to make sure each level uses their appropriate sky textures. SKY1 and SKY2 work just fine with their assigned levels, but when I get to E1M6 ( the first level assigned to use SKY3 ) it's using the original blue SKY3 texture from the game. What gives? I've replaced each texture in my wad with my own custom sky textures and they all look and work fine until I try to replace SKY3.

You must have done something wrong with SKY3, but what, it's hard to say without looking at the file.