Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Agentbromsnor said:

I've seen the dummy inventory item method used in a lot of different ZDoom mods, though they are usually combined with ACS.

Do I have to combine it with ACS?

No, not at all.

Agentbromsnor said:

I couldn't find anything on the ZDoom wiki when searching for "A_CheckInventory".

Sorry, I've meant A_JumpIfInventory.

Empyre said:

This might be what you need: http://zdoom.org/wiki/A_JumpIfInventory

Ah yes, I think that would work.

However, I managed to make my code work with the variable! Here's what the 'state' looks like, just to show off a bit:

var int user_direction; // This is going to be used to determine if the player should face to the right or left when idle
	states
	{
		Spawn:
			PROT A 3
		loop

See:
			TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(GetPlayerInput(INPUT_BUTTONS, AAPTR_PLAYER1) & BT_MOVELEFT, "MovingLeft")
			TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(GetPlayerInput(INPUT_BUTTONS, AAPTR_PLAYER1) & BT_MOVERIGHT, "MovingRight")
			TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(user_direction==1,"GrindLeft")
			TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(user_direction==0,"GrindRight")
		Goto see

MovingLeft:
			TNT1 A 0 A_SetUserVar("user_direction",1)
			PROT E 3
			PROT F 3
			PROT G 3
			PROT H 3	
		Goto see

MovingRight:
			TNT1 A 0 A_SetUserVar("user_direction",0)
			PROT A 3
			PROT B 3
			PROT C 3
			PROT D 3
		Goto see

GrindLeft:
			PROT E 3
		Goto see

GrindRight:
			PROT A 3
		Goto see
	}

Agentbromsnor said:

See:
TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(GetPlayerInput(INPUT_BUTTONS, AAPTR_PLAYER1) & BT_MOVELEFT, "MovingLeft")
TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(GetPlayerInput(INPUT_BUTTONS, AAPTR_PLAYER1) & BT_MOVERIGHT, "MovingRight")
TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(user_direction==0,"GrindRight")
Goto see

No big deal, but (seeing how you're constantly concerned about performance) this code could be simplified to:

See:
Goto GrindRight
It will also avoid an infinite loop if the variable somehow got a different value than 0 or 1.

I'm making a BEX patch that turns the SS into a zombie that fires a burst of two arachnotron plasma shots. The issue I'm having is that the enemy never stops firing. If I use SpidRefire he'll stop when the player's out of view, but he still fires repeatedly. I'm wanting him to behave like the zombiemen or imps in that he fires once and then continues to wander. Is there any way for me to do this?

Set the "Next state" of the last state of his attack animation to go to his See animation instead of going back to the start of the Missile animation. Then you won't need CPosRefire/SpidRefire at all.

Got a bit of a problem with my sky1. I replaced it in XWE with CC4's sky2 and changed the dimensions so it doesn't clip etc. and it works perfectly fine in Zandronum. However, in PR/GLBoom+ I'm still seeing the white CC4 sky1. Also, in PRBoom+ the section I have with the player walking through a "void" with nothing but the sky around him does crazy HOMs on the "walls". Doesn't happen in GLBoom+ or Zandro.

Did you replace it in your wad itself? prBoom+ can't stack textures lumps, so CC4-tex will override the stuff in your actual wad when you load them together. The HOMs might be related to a missing texture caused by that too. The best way to add custom skies is to use the sky transfer actions.

rileymartin said:

Got a bit of a problem with my sky1. I replaced it in XWE with CC4's sky2 and changed the dimensions so it doesn't clip etc. and it works perfectly fine in Zandronum. However, in PR/GLBoom+ I'm still seeing the white CC4 sky1.

Make sure that the TEXTURE1 entry of your sky is actually referencing the patch that you want it to display, and that you aren't loading any wads with their own TEXTURE1s after your wad that would override the TEXTURE1 in your wad (neither with PR/GLBoom+ nor with Zandronum).

rileymartin said:

Also, in PRBoom+ the section I have with the player walking through a "void" with nothing but the sky around him does crazy HOMs on the "walls". Doesn't happen in GLBoom+ or Zandro.

Depends how you made the border of the area. OpenGL is tolerant of putting untextured 1-sided linedefs there, and displays a sky in their place. But this doesn't work in software renderer. In that, you have to put a new sector around the area's border, and make the sector's both floor and ceiling height to match the floor height of its neighboring sector within the area with the sky. Both the border sector's and the neighboring sector's ceiling must have the F_SKY1 flat for this to work.

Alright, cool, I got rid of the HOMs by making another sector around the player area. I do have the sky replaced in my wad but not the CC4 textures that I used, so I still load the cc4-tex resource with it.

rileymartin said:

I do have the sky replaced in my wad but not the CC4 textures that I used, so I still load the cc4-tex resource with it.

Well, there's your problem. You load cc4-tex.wad after your wad, which makes cc4-tex's TEXTURE1 override your TEXTURE1. Try changing the load order to load cc4-tex before your wad. Before you do so, make sure that your wad's TEXTURE1 contains all TEXTURE1/PNAMES definitions of all cc4-tex textures and patches (just the TEXTURE1/PNAMES contents, not the graphics themselves). If it doesn't, delete TEXTURE1/PNAMES in your wad, copy TEXTURE1/PNAMES from cc4-tex into your wad, and re-edit the sky.

Has anyone ever made 'marble statue' versions of the vanilla in-game sprites? Or even basic grey statues?

I was thinking it'd make great decoration to have statues of the enemies in a level, and figured someone must have done it at some point (given I imagine it isn't too taxing a task) but can't find anything anywhere.

If anyone hasn't, perhaps that'll be my next project.

I'm trying to make a descending floor with some detailing patterns on the floor 8 units below the main one. How can I make both floors descend at the same time while keeping the slight heigh variation, including when it reaches the bottom? I checked several wads out, but couldn't find anything similar used. Right now my main floor either goes down 8 units or leaves the lowered sectors behind when going down.

Check out MAP19 of THT, I did this a few times; check the RL pick-up as well as the main, central bridge. It's all about joining sectors with dummy sectors and setting locks and specific heights on the reference sectors, though you may not need the locks. But the way you set up your dummies and controls/references will achieve that result.

Make sure you use an action to lower the floor to the lowest adjacent floor. As an alternative, lowest adjacent ceiling can get you through some tight spots when looking to achieve this effect. If you are mapping in Boom, look up the numeric triggers and their use, if you reach that final straw.

scifista42 said:

No big deal, but (seeing how you're constantly concerned about performance) this code could be simplified to:

See:
Goto GrindRight
It will also avoid an infinite loop if the variable somehow got a different value than 0 or 1.

Good call. Thanks!

Bauul said:

Has anyone ever made 'marble statue' versions of the vanilla in-game sprites? Or even basic grey statues?

I think they're in one of the Skulltag resource pk3s.

That said, it would take you just a few minutes to open the IWAD, take the respective sprites, rename them, convert them to greyscale and then back to Doom palette, and write a simple DECORATE entry (or possibly DEHACKED) to make each of them a static decoration.

If saving filesize / not using actual sprites is of interest, I'm sure the translate feature could be of use? I've never used it myself so I don't feel qualified to provide an example.

Sure, if you're making a wad for ZDoom (so that you can use DECORATE) AND if you're willing to spend considerable time meddling with the recolor feature to find the proper numbers that will recolor the sprite as you want, ZDoom's "Translations" are the favorable option. Converting sprites to greyscale and then back to Doom palette has the benefit of being as easy as like 8 mouse clicks in SLADE3.

Kappes Buur said:

You have to construct a second control sector, giving the sector height to which to slope to, beside the real control sector which has to match the game sector alignment.

http://i.imgur.com/6720Jvm.png

http://i.imgur.com/9gw6xdO.png

However, this can become problematic with large maps and/or constructs at an angle.

On the other hand, you can make your life easier if you use boris's 3D_Floor_plugin.

http://i.imgur.com/fuKKt3s.png

HOLY SHIT! I wish I knew how to do that! I take it you didnt use Doom Builder 2 to make those double sectoring & floating ramps n' shit; effects? That shit is WAAAAY bad fuckin ASS!

scifista42 said:

I think they're in one of the Skulltag resource pk3s.

That said, it would take you just a few minutes to open the IWAD, take the respective sprites, rename them, convert them to greyscale and then back to Doom palette, and write a simple DECORATE entry (or possibly DEHACKED) to make each of them a static decoration.

Statues made of green marble (to fit with other green marble decoration and textures in Doom) would be more interesting than just grayscaled sprites. Also I think someone with some artistic flair could make the statues a bit more statuesque than just grabbing one sprite and calling it a day. Tweaking the overall contrast can be used to make it more shiny and stone-like, before overlaying with some marbleish texture effects; but mostly I think first the sprite overall pose could stand to be edited a bit.

scifista42 said:

Spend considerable time meddling with the recolor feature

That's a fair point. I've not dabbled in recolours in recent years but I recall XWE having a recolour tool which would help give you the numbers you need, I'm sure Slade3 has a tool like that too? I'm with Gez on this one though. An 'original stance' statue made of marble would be far more impressive.

Byeblothingal 1024 said:

I take it you didnt use Doom Builder 2 to make those double sectoring & floating ramps n' shit; effects?

The 3D floor plugin is for GZDoom Builder, but it doesn't 'enable' 3D floors, it just provides a convenient interface to edit them easily. It's possible to make 3D floors without the plugin, and in Doom Builder 2 too. You just need to use such a Game Configuration for such a source port and in such a map format that supports them ingame. "ZDoom in UDMF" is the ideal one.

scifista42 said:

The 3D floor plugin is for GZDoom Builder, but it doesn't 'enable' 3D floors, it just provides a convenient interface to edit them easily. It's possible to make 3D floors without the plugin, and in Doom Builder 2 too. You just need to use such a Game Configuration for such a source port and in such a map format that supports them ingame. "ZDoom in UDMF" is the ideal one.

HOLY FUCK! I just figured that shit out thanks to you! im making a floorathon right now in the 3D floating department! Theres gonna be so much floating going on in the floor department in this map that an expert floor walker would go insane & wind up in a god dam mental hospital from getting a mental case of Floor-ah-hedreen Vin-dietus from all the walkin he did trying to cover walking on it all before ever finishing covering all of it!!

Slow down dude, I know it's easy to have a trash mouth when you are young, but remember that the more your curse, the less you have to say. Best of luck to you, though.

Fonze said:

Slow down dude, I know it's easy to have a trash mouth when you are young, but remember that the more your curse, the less you have to say. Best of luck to you, though.

Sorry I wasnt intending it to sound like trash talk, this is a really fuckin awesome thing for me though now to learn about floating floors because before I was just using bridges & transferred sector heights for all my double sectoring; wants & needs. NOT ANY MORE!!

Question: how well implemented is the GetPlayerInput DECORATE function in GZDoom? Everything worked fine before, but for some reason it just now starts to crash upon start-up if I try to run my map from GZDoom Builder (after a fresh update, I should mention).

The start-up console very briefly reads "Script error: platformgame.pk3: DECORATE line 20. Call to unknown function 'GetPlayerInput'". I have to keep pressing the play button in GZDoom Builder because it keeps crashing before I have the chance to read it.

My game still runs fine from my custom GZDoom-GPL shortcut though.

Byeblothingal 1024 said:

Sorry I wasnt intending it to sound like trash talk, this is a really fuckin awesome thing for me though now to learn about floating floors because before I was just using bridges & transferred sector heights for all my double sectoring; wants & needs. NOT ANY MORE!!

Ah no you misunderstand. I don't think you've talked smack to anyone; I was merely referring to the needless curse words, though I do understand the excitement. You seem nice and I like the look of some of the shots you've posted in that other thread, as well as the one here. Keep up the good work!

I'm guessing main-line GZDoom is not up to date then, because I have version 2.1.1.0 (the latest one). Unless there is a development I'm missing on the website?

GZDoom-GPL runs it fine.