Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

I've a little problem. The custom textures i've added to my wad for some reason don't show up in texture selection screen. My map is in Boom format and all textures are in palleted Doom format.
What exactly i did is i've put all my textures between TX_START and TX_END. And it didn't work.
What's interesting is that i've done they same thing with flats (put the between F_START and F_END) and it works - they do show up in flats selection menu. Only the wall textures don't work for some reason.
How do i get the textures to work properly?

So I'm using Doom Builder II (For zDoom, Doom in Doom format) to make a map. And making a ceiling's texure F_SKY1 works. However when I try SKY1, SKY2, or SKY3, it just shows up as a normal texture. How do I use something like SKY1 instead of F_SKY1? I'm assuming I might need to use something like SLADE to change the data in the .WAD. But I've looked around in the opened file and can't see anything. Help?

RetroNova10 said:

So I'm using Doom Builder II (For zDoom, Doom in Doom format) to make a map. And making a ceiling's texure F_SKY1 works. However when I try SKY1, SKY2, or SKY3, it just shows up as a normal texture. How do I use something like SKY1 instead of F_SKY1? I'm assuming I might need to use something like SLADE to change the data in the .WAD. But I've looked around in the opened file and can't see anything. Help?

Different map numbers have different sky textures. You could try putting your maps in different map numbers of the game until 1 has a sky texture you approve of. Its not exactly the full salutation to your problem but it does give a half assed, cut corner, fuck it all to hell, Oh well- ta hell with it, so what?-better than nothin, what the fuck ever, I guess ill go with that, beggars cant be choosers; approach to the problem though...

How might I access this in order to edit it's parameters?
EDIT:
MAPINFO isn't showing up in SLADE 3, when I open the .WAD. Here's all what's showing:

MAPINFO isn't a map lump, so it's normal you don't get one by default. You'll have to create it. Very important: make sure it's either before MAP02 or after BLOCKMAP. It should absolutely not be in the middle of the map lumps!

Use the little E file icon in SLADE's toolbar (or Archive->New->Entry) to add a new lump to your wad, then name it MAPINFO and then edit it as a text lump and start adding MAPINFO code. Simple!

Thank you! Right before I saw your post I looked through a user's .WAD and found the file in it. I copied it over and then edited it to my wantings. I had no idea changing things like this was that simple. MAPINFO will definitely help my Episode.

For some reason when i try to launch my map i'm currently working on in PrBoom+ it crashes with this error: R_TextureNumForName: SKY3 not found. The map works fine with ZDoom, tho.
For the record, i didn't change any sky textures and the map is in Boom format.

Chances are you added textures to the map incorrectly or left out a critical step.

Your custom TEXTURE1 lump needs to contain not only the definitions of your custom textures, but also definitions of the IWAD textures, because vanilla Doom and classic ports like PrBoom-plus would forget any previously existing TEXTURE1s when they read a new one, so that stock texture definitions would be lost, that's why you should reinclude them in the new TEXTURE1.

Ok, so after hours of trying, it still gives me this error. I've defined every single texture on my map in TEXTURE1 and no result. And why the hell does it say "SKY3 not found" even though there's no such texture on my map?
But that's not all. What's really interesting is that when i took a look at stdout.txt in PrBoom+ directory, the pre-last line in it says that "your wad seems to be incompatible with Doom II: Hell on the Earth".... what the hell? My map is in Boom: Doom 2 format and i use doom2.wad as an iwad. How it is incompatible?

Spoiler

Fuck Boom format!!

The game's hardcoded sky textures are necessary to be defined even if they don't appear in any map. And I don't think the latter error message had anything to do with your map at all, it's still just the missing hardcoded sky texture. Try deleting TEXTURE1 and PNAMES from your wad, then open Doom2.wad and copy its TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps into your wad, then add your custom textures into that TEXTURE1. That way you'll ensure that no stock textures would be missing.

Is there an alternate coop mode, enforced by a command line parameter perhaps, that removes weapons from the map after they are picked up. Asking solely for the sake of solo-net play.

Is there a way to stop GZDoomBuilder from automatically making sectors when I'm using the "Draw Lines" tool? It's a huge pain in the butt when making doorways as to clears all of my wall textures, among other things such as deleting the sector and making all of the linedefs one-sided again and whatnot.

EDIT: Also, what is a good flat to go with the CONCRETE set of textures?

Hey everyone,

I'm *very* new to Doom mapping, and I've bumped into a problem I can't seem to work out. How do I make a see-through cage door, just like sector 232 of Alien Vendetta map 25? I copied it as well as I could in my map (except I'm using a different door size and texture, which shouldn't matter...), but when the door is closed there is a tutti-frutti/missing texture effect; and when the door is open, the bars are visible and can be walked through (but not seen through -- it's just black between the bars).

I managed to partially solve this problem by removing the middle texture and making the cage texture the upper. This fixed the texture placement issue, but the player still can't see through the door. Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong? I'm using the Eureka editor, in case it matters.

Thanks in advance!

-- 42PercentHealth

Using the MAPINFO lump, I wanted to disable mouse-look in my game. I created this piece of code, expecting it to do the job:

defaultmap
{
	NoFreelook
}
However, it doesn't work for some reason. Even when specifying it to just one map like this:
map map01 "Intro"
{
	Lightning
	NoCrouch
	NoFreelook
}
Something that does work, is the map-name. When I use tab to view the auto-map in-game, the map's name shows up as "Intro" like it should.

The lightning doesn't show up either, and players can still use the mouse, which is really annoying since my game is to be played without it. Does anyone know how to solve this?

"Nofreelook" disables the player's ability to look up or down. You can't really disable mouse usage itself from the mod's side. However, in case of your particular game where the player's body is controlled by DECORATE logic, you can just read the "button press" inputs (which cover only keyboard input) and disregard the "sidemove" inputs (which cover mouse input too).

Yes, of course, the DECORATE and ACS versions of GetPlayerInput work basically the same (they might take different parameters, but they allow you to access the same input info).

DECORATE is parsed into bytecode upon ZDoom's startup and ACS bytecode has to be pre-compiled, but once the game starts, both of them run on ZDoom's own virtual machine (each on a different one specifically made for it), so I wouldn't make any such assumptions about their relative performance, I'd rather say the difference is most likely negligible, but I don't really know, ZDoom's developers would answer you better on this. But I'm inclined to believe that calling GetPlayerInput from DECORATE would be more efficient than to call ACS from DECORATE + have the ACS call GetPlayerInput + return its value back to DECORATE. Then again, don't take my guess for a fact.

Hmm, good point. In that case it's probably best to go for DECORATE when it comes to GetPlayerInput, indeed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

scifista42 said:

I'm pretty sure this could be done without any moving floors or any voodoo dolls, just with action 242, a door with a well-aligned middle texture, and a dummy sector outside the map joined with the door to determine the height up to which it should open. It would be impossible to pass or shoot above the door, though, both when open and when closed. But it would be possible to pass and shoot below the door when open, of course.

I meant to do this awhile ago, but I didn't up until a few minutes ago:

Is there any custom 'monster' out there that is a Marine? Like a full representation of Doomguy, or at least who acts like a Marine would? (I can replace sprites)

scifista42 said:

"Nofreelook" disables the player's ability to look up or down. You can't really disable mouse usage itself from the mod's side. However, in case of your particular game where the player's body is controlled by DECORATE logic, you can just read the "button press" inputs (which cover only keyboard input) and disregard the "sidemove" inputs (which cover mouse input too).

Just to get back to this, I have this DECORATE code for controlling the player's left and right movement:

TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(GetPlayerInput(INPUT_SIDEMOVE, AAPTR_PLAYER1) < 0, "MovingLeft")
Since I'm still learning DECORATE, how would I go about cancelling the "sidemove" inputs?