Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

EDIT: whoops was ninja'ed by Gez + Wiki link. Oh well :P

Ah, if you want to change the music mid-map, you'd need to use a music changer thing and a MUSINFO lump inside the wad.

In the MUSINFO lump, copy and paste this:

MAP01
0 D_RUNNIN
1 T_RUNNIN
Change the name of the MIDI you want the music to change to either to "T_RUNNIN" like I defined, or change "T_RUNNIN" to something else and just name you MIDI to whatever you put instead.

Next, you need to place a thing in you map that has the editor number 14101 in the sector where you want the music to change. As soon as the player enters that sector, the music will change. If you want to change the music back however, you need to add another line in the MUSINFO, like so:
MAP01
0 D_RUNNIN
1 T_RUNNIN
2 D_RUNNIN
This time you will need to place a thing with editor number 14102 in the sector you wish to change the music in.

Hopefully that makes sense. Don't worry if GZDB/DB2 say the thing you placed is 'unknown', PrBoom+ should recognize it in-game.

Spoiler

Rayzik said:

EDIT: whoops was ninja'ed by Gez + Wiki link. Oh well :P

Ah, if you want to change the music mid-map, you'd need to use a music changer thing and a MUSINFO lump inside the wad.

In the MUSINFO lump, copy and paste this:

MAP01
0 D_RUNNIN
1 T_RUNNIN
Change the name of the MIDI you want the music to change to either to "T_RUNNIN" like I defined, or change "T_RUNNIN" to something else and just name you MIDI to whatever you put instead.

Next, you need to place a thing in you map that has the editor number 14101 in the sector where you want the music to change. As soon as the player enters that sector, the music will change. If you want to change the music back however, you need to add another line in the MUSINFO, like so:
MAP01
0 D_RUNNIN
1 T_RUNNIN
2 D_RUNNIN
This time you will need to place a thing with editor number 14102 in the sector you wish to change the music in.

Hopefully that makes sense. Don't worry if GZDB/DB2 say the thing you placed is 'unknown', PrBoom+ should recognize it in-game.

It worked, thanks bro.

RetroNova10 said:

Hmmm... doesn't seem to work.

You must have done something wrong, because bzzrak's guide is a correct solution that works in any port. But if your wad is specifically for ZDoom, using ANIMDEFS as per Gez's advice would be both a correct and a cleaner/easier solution.

Does anyone know how to make a player class with Slade? I seem to have messed up. Whenever the player dies, the game crashes.

I suppose you mean ZDoom? The choice of editor is mostly irrelevant...

One thing to keep in mind about player classes is that the game will not tolerate that the actor disappears while it's still tied to a player. That means that for example if your death sequence for the player ends with a call to, for instance, "Stop", which removes the actor from the game... the player mobj becomes an invalid reference and the game crashes! If you want for a player corpse to disappear, you will need to do that by having a looping call to A_CheckPlayerDone (see HereticPlayer's Burn sequence for an example of use) for that.

Now it's possible the problem is something else; this was just my first guess since you mention it happens when the player dies. But nobody here is a psychic, so it'll be easier to diagnostic your problem if you post your code.

Yes - your player is missing States. If you want him to inherit Doomguy's states, make him inherit from DoomPlayer instead of PlayerPawn. Otherwise define the states by yourself - the frame sequences can be anything you want, but there should be all of the same state labels that DoomPlayer has.

Can somebody tell me what DECORATE function I can use to determine the angle of a weapon? Since my player needs to shoot to the right of his sprite, this is kind of essential. I've looked through the ZDoom wiki, but when I look at a function like A_FireBullets it only contains the angle of the "spread".

There's also A_CustomPunch, which would be suitable since I'm trying to create a melee attack. However, it doesn't say anything about angles.

If you pass FBF_EXPLICITANGLE flag to the "flags" parameter of A_FireBullets, the "spread" will be treated as an angle, as you wish.

For an angled melee attack, use A_FireBullets with a "range" parameter limiting the maximum distance of the attack to be short.

Hey guys. Got a bit of an issue I noticed in GLBoom+ that's not happening in Zandronum.

I have 2 sectors that use the 271 sky transfer function for cc4 sky2 and sky3. This is how it's supposed to look:

Spoiler

And this is what I get in GLBoom+. Standing close to one of the sectors changes the sky to the same type in the other:
Spoiler

Don't mind the high bloodfall, I fixed that. :P

That's because, due to a limitation, GLBoom-plus can only display one unique sky texture at a time. If the player views 2 sectors with different skies, one of them will not display and the other sky will display in its place instead.

You need to give the replacement music the same name. Exact name depends on the game: D_INTRO+D_INTROA for Doom, D_DM2TTL for Doom II/Final Doom, MUS_TITL for Heretic, HEXEN for Hexen, and D_LOGO for Strife.

Is there a way for an actor to "know" if it walks over a decal?

I've toyed with an idea making a cleaning robot type actor that walks around in a random pattern and when it walks over blood decals it removes them.

Your key and particularly major issue with that it's logistically impossible to walk over something that doesn't exist, namely there is no such thing as decals on floors (in ZDoom based ports, which I assume is what you're talking about here).
Decals wouldn't be detectable anyway, as they exist as "patches" in the rendering data, not physically in the world.

By some chance, are you getting confused with faux-actor decals, which are represented with actual actors? If so there's probably some kludge to do it involving radius detection between actor types.

Are there any known problems with having lots of 2-way teleporter setups in a small space? With circular pads? I set up a room full of these sitting on columns, and only one set of teleporters works. The rest just don't teleport the player. Any ideas?

Try repeating the process again. You may have made some mistake. Make sure the TAGs are all well and the Teleport things are located properly.

I've got a large descending floor fight with 8 unit deep octagon patterns on it. This creates a rather bumpy experience in GLBoom+ and I'm not exactly clear on how to apply the +8 unit floor height transfer to moving sectors. What's the best way to implement something like this in Boom format?

You need to treat those sectors as their own entities; new tags, new control sectors, etc. I'd have to see what you are building to give more specific advice, but I did something similar in MAP19 of THT, with lifts that have lights near their top. Being that each lift was 2 separate sectors with different floor heights that had to remain fixed to each other, relatively speaking, as they moved up and down. This was done by giving each lift it's own set of everything and each outside sector of each lift its own set of everything, plus a fake floor/height transfer that also had its own movement going on.

to set an action to a 3d floor\slope\sector, i need to add then to the control\dummy\whatever sector, or the 3d floor\slope\sector?

EDIT: I would also like to know if there is a way to make a door inside a (swimmable) 3d floor\slope\sector ^_^

What is the best way to ensure that the player runs out of ammo or has little enough ammo to force them to simply avoid, not kill most monsters above episode-1-tier?

rdwpa said:

Here is a simple setup:

Thanks, works perfectly! Don't have to use a pass-through switch either now, which had a small chance of bugging out if the player shot the single side pixel.

NEANDERTHAL said:

What is the best way to ensure that the player runs out of ammo or has little enough ammo to force them to simply avoid, not kill most monsters above episode-1-tier?

Not giving him ammo is not good enough?
E.g. You're given 12 shells against 4 Cacodemons. You won't stand a chance, unless you're ZeroMaster.

bzzrak said:

Not giving him ammo is not good enough?
E.g. You're given 12 shells against 4 Cacodemons. You won't stand a chance, unless you're ZeroMaster.

12 shells and 2 barrels might do the trick. or 12 shells, 1 rev and a crusher to kill the rev.
Edit: which is more than just ammo.

rileymartin said:

Don't have to use a pass-through switch either now, which had a small chance of bugging out if the player shot the single side pixel.

That kind of bugging out can be prevented by making the sector between the switches steeply wider at the back, as in the picture below:

The player indeed can't hit (either by shooting or pressing use) the steeply angled linedefs in the rightmost sector, so that if he hits the first switch, hitting the second switch is guaranteed. Unless it was a press-use activated switch and the player stood in such an unfortunate distance from the switch that the first switch was within his use range but the second switch wasn't. But this issue wouldn't happen with shootable switches. Well, it could happen if the player was exactly 2048 units away from the switch, because that's the maximum hitscan range, but at least it's a little less likely to happen by accident, and you can design the map so that there wouldn't be any place more than 2048 units away from the switch that the switch could be seen and shot from.