Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Forli said:

Is there any particular reason why doing this is better?

Not really.

Obviously, replacing is better if you want to replace stuff. If you want to add new stuff without losing old stuff, then replacing isn't better at all.

If you're looking at gameplay mods, then it makes sense they're mostly replacement; but if you look at maps with custom content made for ZDoom, you're more likely to find additions.

I have a script with TeleportGroup that teleports monsters into a room with many other monsters already walking around, and the teleporting monsters will fail to teleport at all if another is standing on their intended spawning spot. How can I fix this? Like, making them just come in as soon as the spot is open?

Cosmic Grain said:

I have a script with TeleportGroup that teleports monsters into a room with many other monsters already walking around, and the teleporting monsters will fail to teleport at all if another is standing on their intended spawning spot. How can I fix this? Like, making them just come in as soon as the spot is open?

You can use ThingCountSector to check if monsters remain in the source sector, and then, perhaps use NoiseAlert to wake them up and make them wander around in regular monster teleporters?

My first idea was to loop the script until ThingCountSector reported no monsters left, but unfortunately it'd reteleport the monsters already teleported, which wouldn't be a desired result. A "sector tag" parameter for Thing_ChangeTID would be useful there...

I've never used TeleportGroup so I don't know if it is possible, but could you have the monsters teleport to mid-air instead of on the ground (using Z Height on the teleport destination)? If you do that, the worst that could happen is a monster standing on another monster until the one being stood upon moves out from underneath.

Hello,

I'm making a Vanilla-style map and got a couple of questions.

1) Is there a proper way to make a door out of transparent texture such as MIDGRATE? I'm asking because it glitches out for me:

Does Vanilla actually supports transparent doors?

2) How to recreate a 'blind monsters' feature from E2M4? I mean, at the start of the map, after you teleport, the first monsters you encounter can't see you until you move a few meters closer. This bug(?) would be a nice feature to my map, so is there a way to recreate it?

lil'devil said:

1) Is there a proper way to make a door out of transparent texture such as MIDGRATE? I'm asking because it glitches out for me:
http://i.imgur.com/5VL0HTf.png
Does Vanilla actually supports transparent doors?

Vanilla never intended to support them, but there is a vanilla-compatible trick that makes them possible - see here.

lil'devil said:

2) How to recreate a 'blind monsters' feature from E2M4? I mean, at the start of the map, after you teleport, the first monsters you encounter can't see you until you move a few meters closer. This bug(?) would be a nice feature to my map, so is there a way to recreate it?

By editing the map's REJECT table. I'm not sure if the latest SLADE3 allows to do it directly or if you need another specialized program or even a hex editor to do it, but it's certainly possible and some mappers did it before.

Thanks for your help!

scifista42 said:

By editing the map's REJECT table. I'm not sure if the latest SLADE3 allows to do it directly or if you need another specialized program or even a hex editor to do it, but it's certainly possible and some mappers did it before.

I've never thought it's that complicated. I don't know how to edit reject table or how to use a hex editor, so.. I think it's better to just scrap this idea.

hey yo having trouble

In GZDB whenever I select multiple sectors and drag them it always decouples them. my current style partially involves building remote sections of map and then rotating them and plugging them into the main map, and if I do that now, all the sectors I'd joined blossom back into their own unique sectors and double the overall count unnecessarily

where's the option to stop that from happening?

Im using Doom Builder 2 and was having a few problems that weren't covered in the tutorials.

The texture BRNSMAL1 does not have the holes see through, how do you do that?

Also how do you make sky boxes? Would be cool to make outside areas as well.

razorback said:

The texture BRNSMAL1 does not have the holes see through, how do you do that?

You have to use it as a middle texture of a 2-sided linedef.

razorback said:

Also how do you make sky boxes? Would be cool to make outside areas as well.

The way you say it, I'm under an impression that you are simply asking how to use a sky in a map, rather than how to add custom sky textures to a wad? In case you are simply asking how to use a sky in a map, put the F_SKY1 flat onto the ceiling, and the map's hardcoded (or sky-transferred / MAPINFO-defined) sky texture will be drawn in its place ingame. If you want the sky to display on a wall, you have to make another sector along the wall, with F_SKY1 ceiling and with ceiling height equal to its floor height.

hee thanks scifista, that worked! you seem to know almost everything about this editor!
I must have rolled my hand over the keyboard and toggled half a dozen options that totally messed up my process for a while

scifista42 said:

You have to use it as a middle texture of a 2-sided linedef.
The way you say it, I'm under an impression that you are simply asking how to use a sky in a map, rather than how to add custom sky textures to a wad? In case you are simply asking how to use a sky in a map, put the F_SKY1 flat onto the ceiling, and the map's hardcoded (or sky-transferred / MAPINFO-defined) sky texture will be drawn in its place ingame. If you want the sky to display on a wall, you have to make another sector along the wall, with F_SKY1 ceiling and with ceiling height equal to its floor height.

Thanks for the reply, I was just wondering how to add sky. Having some issues with the BRNSMAL1 texture, Seems to show up underneath the wall im trying to make see through, what am I doing wrong there?

razorback said:

Having some issues with the BRNSMAL1 texture, Seems to show up underneath the wall im trying to make see through, what am I doing wrong there?

I've had a similar bug recently because sector height was lower than the texture height.

I guess you should check if your sector's height is equal or higher than that of the texture (which is 64) and also you should check Lower Unpegged box, that will probably help. Oh, and make sure there're no wrong offsets on Y coordinate, since that may also cause the bug.

I believe the quickest & easiest solution is to ensure that the midtexture on the 2-sided linedef doesn't 'leak' into the floor is as simple as changing the floor / ceiling height or light level on one of the two adjoining sectors. When the two sectors are different it'll crop off the tall texture.

Well hi folks and it's a pleasant Thursday (or Friday). Got a slight problem here that's been rattling my barn. I have a small simple snow map with 4 enterable square igloo things. Now, they are lower in height than the map border and it makes the sky clip the walls behind the igloos.

Spoiler

Is there any solution to this in Boom format?

From what I'm aware of, no. No easy solution. That's why it's usually done the other way round, taller buildings in the center.

The solution that COULD work for you is move the outer walls further away?

When the renderer draws a 1-sided linedef, it will never try to draw anything behind it. Similarly, when the renderer draws an upper texture of a 2-sided linedef, it will never try to draw anything behind it above it (but it can draw things behind it below it), and when the renderer draws a lower texture of a 2-sided linedef, it will never try to draw anything behind it below it (but it can draw things behind it above it). This is a great thing for rendering performance, and it also means that you can't achieve what you want unless you make the igloos out of lower-textures-only and not reaching up to the ceiling.

Is it possible to import a custom colormap or make a Heretic/Hexen-esque one? I hate how the autogenerated colormaps compromise the vibrance of some bright color gradients in a custom palette.

Yes. You can export an existing colormap either as raw data or as a PNG, edit it manually in some graphic editing program, import it back and (in case of PNG) convert it to Doom (Flat) format, which will turn it to a proper raw data colormap.

Well this/I is/am dumb. I started working on a map in the 19th slot in GZDB but when I try to test it Doom 2's Citadel is always loaded instead. Is it because I changed the wad name from the default MAP19 when I saved it? And how can I get it to run again?

Edit: Fixed it.

Is there any obvious reason, when creating a bridge in vanilla, that the floor texture will suddenly appear on the bridge, but otherwise operates perfectly? I've had this appear on some bridges but not others.

Do you mean an invisible floor type bridge (self-referencing sector?).

Perhaps try a different Node Builder. GZDoom Builder's default (ZenNode) struggles with bridges like that.

When I launch my map, in the console is "22 unused sidedefs" and list of sidedefs that were removed

what that means? And how can I find these sidedefs in the map exactly and edit them to be OK?

thanks

scifista42 said:

Does (GZ)Doom Builder's Map Analysis Mode not find them / allow to remove them?

Analysis mode does mentioned them at all

i try find and replace - it shows me the place, but it doesn't highligh so I am lost anyway

I highlighter a one and the one line seems to be OK. I am not sure what's wrong

"Unused sidedefs" are those that exist in the map's data, but aren't associated with any particular linedef. In other words, they have no location - so that Doom Builder can't show you where they are or visibly highlight them. But what if you just press delete when selecting the entry in the error list?