Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

If you merely added those wads with custom objects into the Resources window in GZDB, these aren't actually being added into your wad. They just tell the editor which wads to load resources from during editing and which wads to launch your wad with from the editor's own testing mode. If you wanted to launch the wad outside the editor's testing mode, you'd have to make sure to launch it together with those wads instead of just launching your wad alone.

Try accessing the Resources window in the "New" or "Open" dialogue or in "Edit -> Map Options" in GZDB and see if the wads with your custom objects are in the list, if not, re-add them. These resource options are being stored in a .dbs file that is usually being saved next to your map. Maybe the problem was that your map's .dbs file got invalidated or deleted.

If you wanted to add custom objects actually inside your wad (which tends to make things easier), you should use SLADE3 to copy their content and paste it into your wad instead of using GZDB's Resources.

CursedHeretic said:

Why did all my custom monsters/objects disappear in gzdoombuilder? How do I get them back? The map still works fine but the entire decorate folder in gzdb is gone.

This happened after an update. Reverting back doesn't solve it :\

Fix all DECORATE errors and warnings.
Update to r2758.

scifista42 said:

If you wanted to add custom objects actually inside your wad (which tends to make things easier), you should use SLADE3 to copy their content and paste it into your wad instead of using GZDB's Resources.

Yes all my resources are in the map already using slade. That's why the game works fine when I play it through gzdoom. But for whatever reason GZDoom is not showing the resources even tho it should already be part of the map :\

CursedHeretic said:

Thinking maybe I should uninstall all of GZDB and start over?

Sure, you could do that, but before you do, look at the very bottom of MaxED's screenshot.
That should give you a clue as how to fix your map to display properly with GZDB.

MysteriousHaruko said:

Well,I want try to do cutscene and I need 3rd person view. But with some issues I can`t find what camera does that.

That's going to be complicated. If it's for ZDoom you can take a look here which should cover all bases.

Linguica said:

If they are just custom monster sprites (and not, like, monsters that have been edited with Dehacked or whatever), then it should be pretty straightforward to open the WAD in SLADE and delete the custom monster sprites.

thanks! seems to work fine :)

I'm messing about with GZDoom's Fade function, but I'm running into a weird issue with Portals, as shown below:

The black doorway is a Portal, and it looks like the Portal code is incompatible with the Fade effect. Am I missing a particular setting to get it to work, or is this just a limitation of the current GZDoom render?

Kappes Buur said:

Sure, you could do that, but before you do, look at the very bottom of MaxED's screenshot.
That should give you a clue as how to fix your map to display properly with GZDB.

Please be more specific? The errors in the bottom right should just be missing sound stuff I deleted and random crap from merging wads.

If you know what I'm doing wrong I'm desperate to start my new wads :\

Bauul said:

I'm messing about with GZDoom's Fade function, but I'm running into a weird issue with Portals, as shown below:

http://i.imgur.com/jIwfHYT.png

The black doorway is a Portal, and it looks like the Portal code is incompatible with the Fade effect. Am I missing a particular setting to get it to work, or is this just a limitation of the current GZDoom render?

How does it look like in ZDoom? If it works fine in ZDoom report that as a bug on the GZDoom forums; if it's also broken in ZDoom then do that on the ZDoom forums. (No need to be logged in to an account to post on either.)

So can one edit the blood splotch when it hits an enemy? Been messing around with it but I can't get it to work. Here is the actor. How do I attach it to a new bullepuff?

ACTOR Blood
{
Mass 5
+NOBLOCKMAP
+NOTELEPORT
+ALLOWPARTICLES
scale 3.0
States
{
Spawn:
BLUD CBA 8
Stop
Spray:
SPRY ABCDEF 3
SPRY G 2
Stop
}
}

Gez said:

How does it look like in ZDoom? If it works fine in ZDoom report that as a bug on the GZDoom forums; if it's also broken in ZDoom then do that on the ZDoom forums. (No need to be logged in to an account to post on either.)

Do Portals like that (i.e. Linedef action 156) even work in ZDoom? I tried it anyway and the Portals didn't appear at all - the game just ignored the function entirely.

I'll post about it on the GZDoom forums, thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: I've worked out it only applies to fog created using the outsidefog MAPINFO command. Normal sector Fade works fine.

Hi all

I've created a MAPINFO lump (implemented with SLADE3) for my wad (developed for ZDoom, however since inserting it into the wad the sounds for doors, elevators, platforms no longer work, and the end of level score screen doesn't appear when finishing the level, it just goes to level 2 right away.

Any idea whats going on?

(MAPINFO text below)

map 01 "Citadel"
{

levelnum = 1
par = 390
music = "d_messag"
next = "map02"
}

Zemini said:

So can one edit the blood splotch when it hits an enemy? Been messing around with it but I can't get it to work. Here is the actor. How do I attach it to a new bullepuff?

ACTOR Blood
{

Firstly, as the warning box at the top of every ZDoom wiki page about every DECORATE class tells you, you should not modify actors by redefining them with the same names (an actor named Blood already exists), but always define an actor with a unique name and use inheritance and/or the replaces keyword to make it inherit properties and/or substitute placement of another actor.

Secondly, blood actors are actually "attached" to the bleeding monster/actor types, and puff actors are "attached" to the weapon actors that fire them. But you can't "attach" specific blood actors to specific bullet puffs, or vice versa.

However, you can define your bullet puff actor itself to behave/look differently upon hitting a bleeding monster than upon hitting a wall, so that the puff will look like a blood splat or spawn one. Read the part about flags and state jumps here to learn how to.

Bauul said:

Do Portals like that (i.e. Linedef action 156) even work in ZDoom?

They do, but not in the old 2.8.1. You have to use development builds. (Or GZDoom's software mode.)

This is more asking for advice than a real question, but here goes.

I've been pondering about this for a few days now, and I finally reached the conclusion that I'm going to have to use ACS_ExecuteWithResult in combination with DECORATE in order to determine which side the player is facing in my 2D platformer. The animations for walking and attacking to both the left and right side are working fine, but attacking to the left is a problem and since I couldn't think of any way to implement this in just DECORATE I figured this was the best next thing.

Here's the thing: I've never used this function before in any of my previous ZDoom projects, and I would love to know if anyone has any prior experience using this.

My quick little script mock-up looks like this:

script 1 ENTER
{
	// This script is used to return the player's left and right input, for use with things like weapons in DECORATE
	while(true)
	{
			/*if() 
			{
				// Player movement input and return goes here
				SetResultValue(TRUE);
			}
			else
			{
				SetResultValue(FALSE);
			}
			*/
	}
}

I used a while loop in an ENTER script, since the script must be running constantly in order to return anything. Is this the right way to go, or is there a more efficient way to use this?

@Agentbromsnor
First of all, never do a while(true) loop without a Delay() somewhere.

Then, you could use GetPlayerInput and store if the last key the player pressed was left or right, something like

bool facingRight = TRUE; // This assumes that the player will always start facing right.
script 1 ENTER { // this one is for looping and setting the state
	while(true){
		int input = GetPlayerInput(-1, INPUT_BUTTONS); // Player 1 is 0, player 2 is 1, etc. Use -1 to specify the script activator instead.

if(input & BT_MOVERIGHT){
			facingRight = TRUE;
		}

if(input & BT_MOVELEFT){
			facingRight = FALSE;
		}

if((input & BT_MOVERIGHT) && (input & BT_MOVELEFT)){ // Never had to use nested parenthesis in ACS, not sure if this syntax is valid but the logic is
			// player is pressing left AND right at the same time, good luck
		}

Delay(1);
	}
}

script 2 (void){ // this one is for returning the direction
	SetResultValue(facingRight);
}
See the wiki for supported buttons: https://zdoom.org/wiki/GetPlayerInput

I wrote this little script:

script 11 (void) 
{

SpawnSpotFacing ("SmokePuff",31,0);
	PlaySound (31,"rockfal");
	Line_SetBlocking (11,0,BLOCKF_EVERYTHING);
	Line_SetBlocking (11,0,BLOCKF_SOUND);
	SetLineTexture (11,SIDE_FRONT,TEXTURE_MIDDLE,"");
}
and it used to work fine but now the SpawnSpotFacing ("SmokePuff",31,0); no longer spawns "smokepuff". The actor works fine if I just put in the map normally.

decorate:
Spoiler

[code]Actor Smokepuff 259
{
//$Category SFX
RenderStyle "Translucent"
Alpha 1.0
+FloorClip
+NoGravity
States
{
Spawn:
PUFF A 1
PUFF A 1 A_FadeOut (0.1)
PUFF A 1 A_SetScale (1.1)
PUFF A 1 A_SetTics (4)

PUFF A 1 A_FadeOut (0.1)
PUFF A 1 A_SetScale (1.2)
PUFF A 1 A_SetTics (4)

PUFF A 1 A_FadeOut (0.1)
PUFF A 1 A_SetScale (1.3)
PUFF A 1 A_SetTics (4)

PUFF A 1 A_FadeOut (0.1)
PUFF A 1 A_SetScale (1.4)
PUFF A 1 A_SetTics (4)

PUFF A 1 A_FadeOut (0.1)
PUFF A 1 A_SetScale (1.5)
PUFF A 1 A_SetTics (4)

PUFF A 1 A_FadeOut (0.1)
PUFF A 1 A_SetScale (1.6)
PUFF A 1 A_SetTics (4)

PUFF A 1 A_FadeOut (0.1)
PUFF A 1 A_SetScale (1.7)
PUFF A 1 A_SetTics (4)

PUFF A 1 A_FadeOut (0.1)
PUFF A 1 A_SetScale (1.8)
PUFF A 1 A_SetTics (4)

PUFF A 1 A_FadeOut (0.1)
PUFF A 1 A_SetScale (1.9)
PUFF A 1 A_SetTics (4)

PUFF A 1 A_FadeOut (0.1)
PUFF A 1 A_SetScale (2.0)
PUFF A 1 A_SetTics (4)
loop
}
}[code]

@Albertoni

Whoops, forgot about the delay. Thanks for the little demo. I'm taking this idea should work fine then. I was thinking that perhaps the script types (Enter, void) could have some sort of restriction in regards to this, but I guess it should work.

Question for Boom mappers... i tried to replicate the candle telefragging trick from Sunlust Map30 but the objects refuse to teleport when an enemy is in the way of the teleport destination. When i try in NoMo the objects teleport ok it seems. Is there some specific detail i am missing here?

Is your map also MAP30? Non-players can only telefrag on that map under Vanilla conditions.

Edward850 said:

Is your map also MAP30? Non-players can only telefrag on that map under Vanilla conditions.

Ah, maybe that is the problem then. It's for my DWMP 2016 map so i doubt it'd end up in the Map30 slot. Will figure out a different encounter in that case. Thanks for the info!