Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Are there any wads that are just repositorys full of goodies like monsters/weapons/textures that a person can use with GZDB quick and easily?

I *HATE* slade with a passion and I just want to make cool maps with new stuff and have it WORK.

Saw recommendation to put a version of the file in the file name. Does this works well with moddb/idgames? Should I append version to mod file only, or also to readme, or the zip file? Any examples of projects using these naming conventions?

Hello, I have a fewquestions:

I can't seem to get Slade properly running and the ACS tutorials refer to Doombuilders.
Do I need to make a map in Slade? When I compile the script nothing happens in the game, what is the file type where all the script stuff is written in and is there anything else I need to remember when using Slade?

I want to apologize if this is not the right place to ask this but I'm just very confused.

CursedHeretic said:

Are there any wads that are just repositorys full of goodies like monsters/weapons/textures that a person can use with GZDB quick and easily?

I *HATE* slade with a passion and I just want to make cool maps with new stuff and have it WORK.

Textures: lots of them on /idgames.
Monsters/weapons: Realm667 I guess?

CursedHeretic said:

I *HATE* slade with a passion

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement#How_to
It's a bit more complex to learn than SLADE (and you will still need SLADE for sprite offsets) but it saves a lot of time.

demenz said:

I can't seem to get Slade properly running and the ACS tutorials refer to Doombuilders.
Do I need to make a map in Slade? When I compile the script nothing happens in the game, what is the file type where all the script stuff is written in and is there anything else I need to remember when using Slade?

What exactly are you trying to do? Were you using SLADE or Doom Builder to make the map?
The scripts should be inside the .wad file, just before the endmap marker for the map they belong. Generic script libraries can be anywhere in the WAD that isn't between markers.

demenz said:

I can't seem to get Slade properly running

When asking for help be as specific with what program version you use and how you use it.
In what way does it not run properly? You could provide screenshots to help us out in helping you.

Did you read the install instructions and installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtimes?
See http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads

demenz said:

Do I need to make a map in Slade?

No.
You can use any map editor you choose, DB1 (allthough not advisable), DB2, GZDB, Eureka, Deepsea etc.
You just have to know which map format you want to map for and that the editor supports it.
Slade3 is a map editor and a lump editor in one, same as Deepsea, except Deepsea does not support UDMF and is not free for larger maps.

demenz said:

When I compile the script nothing happens in the game, what is the file type where all the script stuff is written in and is there anything else I need to remember when using Slade?

You have to choose and set the ACS compiler manually in Preferences.
Scripts are just text files which compile to the BEHAVIOR lump.

Make a new entry (lump) named SCRIPTS and click on View as Text and type your script.
To compile right-click on SCRIPTS and follow the links

Any of the other editors also compile scripts, GZDB is always up-to-date with the latest additions to ACS.

demenz said:

Hello, I have a fewquestions:

I can't seem to get Slade properly running and the ACS tutorials refer to Doombuilders..

If you want to create basic ACS scripts, I believe you don't need Slade at all. Just load your map in GZDoom Builder (which is most people's map editor and choice) and hit F10. It opens a Script editor right there for you to use.

So, uh, I've got some transparent force fields that eventually deactivate that look fine in GL mode but HOM like crazy in software. What could the issue be in that renderer?

Pic:

Spoiler

rileymartin said:

So, uh, I've got some transparent force fields that eventually deactivate that look fine in GL mode but HOM like crazy in software. What could the issue be in that renderer?

As you failed to post a map, the spitball answer would be you've accidentally unflagged doublesided on those lines (the flag is independent of how many sides a linedef actually has). Software renderers will not render beyond such lines, meanwhile GL is hit or miss.

Ah, I took a closer look again at how scifista did his fields in his DMP2015 map and noticed some stuff was off. Primarily, I didn't have a lower texture which GL ports didn't care for but software noticed. Fixed now. @CursedHeretic: Thanks m8!

^ The lower texture shouldn't matter to any renderer. The important part is correctly setting up the dummy sector for the "create fake floor and ceiling" action.

My question is thus:

I have a randomspawner ACTOR which replaces Zombiemen and Shotgun guys 20% of the time.

However, I would only like it to engage when playing (the Ultimate) DOOM, not DOOM II Hell on Earth.

Is there a way to filter this?

Poormetheus said:

Is there a way to filter this?

Yes, there is. And how appropriate that you're using "filter" because that's exactly the keyword you should look for on the ZDoom wiki.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Lump_filtering

Use that to get a DECORATE lump that's only loaded for Ultimate Doom.

Gez said:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Lump_filtering

Use that to get a DECORATE lump that's only loaded for Ultimate Doom.

Thank you Gez.

I probably need some helping along with this; I tried it before and it didn't work for me at all (I wanted a different TITLEPIC to display for each respective game).

Where exactly do I add this folder called FILTER? Last time I added it to the area that contains SPRITES, SOUNDS, ACS, etc., to no avail.

Poormetheus said:

Where exactly do I add this folder called FILTER? Last time I added it to the area that contains SPRITES, SOUNDS, ACS, etc., to no avail.

The root folder of the .pk3 file. Open up your gzdoom.pk3 / zdoom.pk3 and check out how the filter folder works there. (It's just a renamed zip file in case you don't know.)

rileymartin said:

What happens if I flag health and armour bonuses with "ambush"?

They will not chase you when they hear you, obviously.

They also wouldn't chase you anyway because they're health and armor bonuses.

I'm thinking about hiring someone to create a weapon for me that would be impossible for me to make because I can't wrap my head around code. Is this an ok place to ask for that? I've always had a fascination with the arch-viles ability to rez it's allies and I'd like to see this ability given to the player.

I'd want the Gauntlets of the Necromancer ported to Hexen. With a bit more range, damage, and small lifesteal on the main attack. The alt-fire would resurrect corpses to fight for you for 30 seconds before dying and they wouldn't target the player if hit with friendly fire. Would be even better if the Rez ability cost a unique ammo so it couldn't be abused.

I'd make a hell of a wad based around this weapon. How much would you charge for a project like that?

I'd love some very basic scripting help if anyone has a moment.

I've created an extremely basic HudMessage script that basically begins typing a message across the screen using HUDMSG_TYPEON when the player activates a LineDef.

script 1 (void)
{
	SetFont("BIGFONT");
	HudMessage(s:"We live...  \nWe live... ";
		HUDMSG_TYPEON, 1, CR_WHITE, 0.4, 0.4, 3.0, 0.08, 1.0);
}
I would like the player to be able to skip to the end of the message if they don't want to wait for it to type out (so the whole thing just appears on the screen).

I understand the easiest solution is to trigger a new script that replaces the HUDMSG_TYPEON with a fully written one, like this.
script 2 (void)
{
	SetFont("BIGFONT");
	HudMessage(s:"We live...  \nWe live... ";
		HUDMSG_FADEOUT, 1, CR_WHITE, 0.4, 0.4, 3.0, 1.0);
}
But I'm not sure how to use the player input to trigger that second script. ACS has always been a total blind spot for me (I just can't get my head around coding) so any help would be really, really appreciated!

How about you put a sector action (its a thing you place in map) that triggers when player leaves the sector for script 2? This way player doesn't need to do anything and can just continue normally.

My map crashes in GLBoom+ shorty after entering a new area with the error message: 'createPatch: Unknown patch format S_START.' What's the deal with that? No issue with ZDoom ports.

S_START and S_END are sprites range markers. I guess PRBoom doesn't like it when those are placed inside of patches range.

I'm only using the sprite markers, which are before the map stuff. They're not inside P_START/P_END, which I'm not even using.

Post your wad, or at least a SLADE3 screenshot where the S_START marker is selected and lumps above and below it can be seen.

Oh wait, you said your wad and map loads and that it only crashes after entering some area. So the problem has to be within the map. The only thing that comes to my mind that might be causing this is a sky transfer to an unspecified texture, so check your sky transfers for both ceiling skies (upper texture on the sky transfer linedef) and floor skies (lower texture on the sky transfer linedef).