Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

MysteriousHaruko said:

How to make vanilla sky to be first instead of custom sky?Custom content overrides vanilla sky and I don't know why this happens here.

Because of the way WAD works, the default sky texture can be overridden by a custom one with the same lump name. You will need to load your own PWAD after a custom PWAD which re-replaces the original one back again.

Nevander said:

What do you use for doing recolors? GIMP? Paint.net? SLADE?

Well in this case I used both SLADE and GIMP.

First I made a new TEXTURES lump so that I could compose the different barrel sprites together in a single image. Then I exported this texture to a graphic lump. Then I recolored it using mostly the Tint and Colourise features, and perhaps a Remap while selected the whole palette and translating as desatured gradient.

Anyway I made a bunch of recolors, exported them all as PNG, and then put them all as layers in a single PNG file, including the normal, non-recolored image. On this image I ctrl-magic-wand selected every pixel of nukage gloop and explosion, to create a layer with just those pixels. And that layer was then put on top of every recolored barrel set.

The reason I made the recolors in SLADE instead of GIMP is that it gave me greater control over the paletted end result. SLADE actually has more colorimetry options than GIMP! And GIMP's color matching doesn't work right for small paletted graphics; there was a whole thread on color matching. Anyway with SLADE you get instant preview of how the colourise or tinting effect will look with the palette and you can adjust. In GIMP you need to convert image to RGB to use recolorisation effects, and then to convert it back to indexed to see how it looks in the palette. Tedious. Photoshop have I believe layer adjustment effects so you can apply a palettization layer effect over a truecolor image, and then recolor the truecolor image while getting live preview of its palettization, which is nice; but GIMP doesn't have that.

Nevander said:

Because of the way WAD works, the default sky texture can be overridden by a custom one with the same lump name. You will need to load your own PWAD after a custom PWAD which re-replaces the original one back again.

So,if I rename custom skies,it should solve this small problem?

Gez said:

You need to give the full sprite sheet, though.

Split in two layers. Recolor the first row, then move the second row 64 pixels to cover the recolored layer and preserve the original colors of the nukage and explosion.

Those are some BEAUTIFUL barrels of all different colors ya got there. I want..how much would you sell those to me for? I can trade you money, drugs or women for em.

How do I convert a MIDI to Mp3 while retaining the (awful) "microsoft gs wavetable synth" soundfont?

One way would be to use some software (possibly audacity?) to record your desktop audio output and then save the recording out as MP3.

Hmm interesting, I could do that with Sony Soundforge haha I'm not sure if the sound quality will be good, though.

What's the best way to acheive animated textures in ZDoom compatibility? For example, an animated computer screen or a blinking neon sign.

Kinda stupid question.. but.. I've lost compute2 named texture. I was compiling my resources together and I lost that texture. Can't find it from any wad I've downloaded.

It was basic comp-texture, 256x128.

Jaska said:

Kinda stupid question.. but.. I've lost compute2 named texture. I was compiling my resources together and I lost that texture. Can't find it from any wad I've downloaded.

It was basic comp-texture, 256x128.

If that's a doom2 texture; it's because it doesn't exist. You might really be looking for the texture called "COMPTALL" Im not sayin I believe this to be true but more asking if you are SURE that is what the texture is called to the letter/number? otherwise you're searching for something that doesn't exist; all because you were searching for something but off by 1 god dam motherfuckin letter from what it was really called. or some shit like that...

Gez said:

There's a COMPUTE2 in doom.wad; it's 256x56.

oh my bad then. I assumed it was doom TWO that we were talkin for the run wad for search. Doom2 don't got that texture, theres COMPBLUE or COMPSPAN & a few other COMPshit in there.

Gez said:

There's a COMPUTE2 in doom.wad; it's 256x56.

I can imagine that texture, but my final doom's doom.wad doesn't contain that.. Well, I'll find it.

Hi, I'm getting a headache trying to add a sky texture to a pwad made for ZDOOM. I've successfully used the MAPINFO lump to modify map name, include music, etc. But for some reason the sky is giving me a lot of trouble.

This is the image I want to use:

This is what MAPINFO looks like:

map MAP01 "MOON MAP"
{
music = "MONEY"
levelnum = 1
next = "E1M2"
secretnext = "E1M9"
sky1 = "MOON", 0
par = 30
}

What I did was to import the image into my pwad and convert it to Doom format. The name of the image file is "MOON". What am I doing wrong?

Der_Kaiser said:

What I did was to import the image into my pwad and convert it to Doom format. The name of the image file is "MOON". What am I doing wrong?

Have you added the image to the Texture lump in the WAD? It needs to be listed there as if you were adding it as a texture in your map.

Also, is it in either Jpeg or PNG format?

My guess is that you don't have the image defined as a texture. Put it between PP_START and PP_END (If they aren't already there, add them as empty entries in the wad, called markers). In Slade, right click on it and a menu pops up, in that menu, hover the cursor on Graphic and another menu pops up. In that menu, select Add to TEXTUREx. That should automatically add it also to the patch table. Then it will be a proper texture and it should work as intended.

Bauul said:

Have you added the image to the Texture lump in the WAD? It needs to be listed there as if you were adding it as a texture in your map.

Also, is it in either Jpeg or PNG format?

Empyre said:

My guess is that you don't have the image defined as a texture.

I did add it to the Texture lump! I can see it and use it in DoomBuilder, but it just tiles up like any other flat, it doesn't behave like F_SKY1.

The image was originally in PNG format, and I used Slade to convert it to the Doom graphics format.

You have to use F_Sky where you want the sky to show up.

Also if you're using a .pk3 you can put it in the "Textures" folder instead.

It shouldn't be a flat. It needs to be a texture, like you would put on a wall. When you put sky1 on the ceiling, it will tile the default sky1 in Doom Builder, but you should see the sky in-game.

Yes, thank you all, now it works.

Just one question... Even though the sky works now, you can clearly see where the picture ends and begins again. Is this because of the image file itself? Is there any way to prevent or disguise that?

Gez said:

For reference, see "sky" on the Doom Wiki, "sky" on the ZDoom wiki, and "texture". There's a ton of useful info on these things, you know? :p

I know, I know XD

I'd just been reading all kinds of stuff for a while now, and without much progress I decided to ask!

Der_Kaiser said:

Just one question... Even though the sky works now, you can clearly see where the picture ends and begins again. Is this because of the image file itself? Is there any way to prevent or disguise that?

Well yes, your image doesn't naturally tile, notice how the left and right side don't match up. You'll need to edit your image in some way to make it naturally loop.
It also isn't wide enough. Unless you want the planet to repeat 4 times, you need to create an image that is 1024 units wide.
Further reading: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sky

Edward850 said:

Well yes, your image doesn't naturally tile, notice how the left and right side don't match up. You'll need to edit your image in some way to make it naturally loop.
It also isn't wide enough. Unless you want the planet to repeat 4 times, you need to create an image that is 1024 units wide.
Further reading: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sky

Already working on it, thank you! I've spent so much time on this one window lol

I'm about to start making maps again for the first time in several, several months. Are there any quick informative images or content outside of video tutorials that can help me get back into it easily? Things like commonly used textures, good base proportions for rooms, hotkeys, that sort of thing?