Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

untilitdies said:

I'm about to start making maps again for the first time in several, several months. Are there any quick informative images or content outside of video tutorials that can help me get back into it easily? Things like commonly used textures, good base proportions for rooms, hotkeys, that sort of thing?

If you're using DoomBuilder2 it would help a lot to go to "Tools" & scroll down to "Preferences" & then check out the "Controls" in there. Those are important to know for faster mapping; 'W' for visual mode!...& shit...

Gez said:

Hotkeys largely depend on the editor used.

For questions of size, scale and proportions, here are a few handy links:

Great reads all of them.

Now I now why my monsters wouldn't go up or down the stairs :/

Now I know that inclusion of wholesale copyrighted MP3 files in Doom WADs/PK3s is a big no-no, but it always seemed sketchy to me when people use straight MIDI conversions of their favorite songs. I was wondering what the general verdict is in the community regarding use of these sort of tracks without any alteration of the original songs, a la the original Doom that used cool songs as a basis to build upon.

If you do a cover of a song that's ok in my opinion. If you want to sell it you'll have to pay royalties, but in a wad it shouldn't be a problem. It's unlikely a band will sue you for using a midi version of a song in a doom map that you aren't selling for money.

The midi version theoretically uses absolutely zero samples created by the original musicians and are essentially in the same realm as a cover, from what I understand.

There might be a battle to be had if you were using the midi interpretations commercially but as it stands, using a midi isn't considered piracy / illegal distribution of the copyrighted song(s) and, because of that, becomes 'okay for non commercial use'.

Is anyone here familiar with the gold key artifact & brown wooden chest that it's supposed to open that comes with it from the 667 repository? I have tried both in doom & Heretic to get that key to open that god dam chest & no matter how I cram the fuckin key in the chest hole; IT REFUSES TO OPEN! I have even copied & pasted the scripting into the "script" in the editor that comes with it that says what items are going to pay out had the chest NOT been a stubborn son of a bitch bastard piece of shit who won't open no matter who you are or how much you care for the items inside...

Good day. I'm new here (been lurking for years) and cannot create a new thread yet, so this looks like the perfect place to ask. Maybe I haven't worded my searches correctly, but I haven't been able to find a solution yet:

Using Slade or DoomBuilder 2 (preferably but not neccessarily), is it possible to make an end level that skips levels directly to a particular level? Or some other ways to change to the Hell sky early in your wad file? My goal here is to switch to the Hell sky upon entering Level 3, and this wad will not require use of all 32 levels. I'm using "Doom UDMF format".

Thanx in advance!

Dragonfly said:

The midi version theoretically uses absolutely zero samples created by the original musicians and are essentially in the same realm as a cover, from what I understand.

Which is to say, you still need a licence to distribute it or you are breaking the law (by infringing on the composer's copyright in the music itself, as opposed to the performers' copyright in the particular recorded performance of the music) - but if you pay the appropriate fee, you cannot be refused a licence.

Anarch said:

Good day. I'm new here (been lurking for years) and cannot create a new thread yet, so this looks like the perfect place to ask. Maybe I haven't worded my searches correctly, but I haven't been able to find a solution yet:

Using Slade or DoomBuilder 2 (preferably but not neccessarily), is it possible to make an end level that skips levels directly to a particular level? Or some other ways to change to the Hell sky early in your wad file? My goal here is to switch to the Hell sky upon entering Level 3, and this wad will not require use of all 32 levels. I'm using "Doom UDMF format".

Thanx in advance!

Well so far all ports currently supporting UDMF also support some sort of MAPINFO feature, which is probably the simplest solution to your problem. You can just define your MAP03 to have a hell sky. Or you can define MAP02 to have a next map that is MAP20, or MAP72, or E6M85, or DONUTS. There's no real limit here.

You can also look into Teleport_NewMap, which just ignores the default's next map and goes wherever. You can use that to have a level which features several different exits all going to a different levels (instead of just two different possible exits, a normal and a secret).

Finally there are ways to change a map's sky dynamically, as well. So if all you want is a different sky for MAP03 than the one in MAP01 and MAP02, there are plenty of ways you can achieve that, from the aforementioned MAPINFO to using sky transfer or scripts that change the sky, and more.

Gez said:

Well so far all ports currently supporting UDMF also support some sort of MAPINFO feature, which is probably the simplest solution to your problem. You can just define your MAP03 to have a hell sky. Or you can define MAP02 to have a next map that is MAP20, or MAP72, or E6M85, or DONUTS. There's no real limit here.

You can also look into Teleport_NewMap, which just ignores the default's next map and goes wherever. You can use that to have a level which features several different exits all going to a different levels (instead of just two different possible exits, a normal and a secret).

Finally there are ways to change a map's sky dynamically, as well. So if all you want is a different sky for MAP03 than the one in MAP01 and MAP02, there are plenty of ways you can achieve that, from the aforementioned MAPINFO to using sky transfer or scripts that change the sky, and more.

Thanks! That got me exactly where I need to be! I'll be playing around with all three methods for various uses. I'll see you around the forums!

15 hours ago, Anarch said:

22 hours ago, Blue Shadow said:

If I remember, it comes with a demo map. Can you open the chests in the demo map?

It doesn't come with a demo map.....either that or I got fucked out of a demonstration.  Did you get the chest to cooperate? I am about to start losing sleep, hair & hope over it.

On 3/9/2017 at 0:14 PM, Der_Kaiser said:

Great reads all of them.

Now I now why my monsters wouldn't go up or down the stairs :/

Neat! Thanks a ton!

1 hour ago, Byeblothingal 1024 said:

It doesn't come with a demo map.

Where did you get it from? Because I just downloaded it from the site; the zip file has two WADs, one of which is the demo map.

Download the zip file, and drag and drop it onto the source port's .exe to run. Make sure you're loading it with Heretic on E1M1.

6 minutes ago, Blue Shadow said:

Where did you get it from? Because I just downloaded it from the site; the zip file has two WADs, one of which is the demo map.

Download the zip file, and drag and drop it onto the source port's .exe to run. Make sure you're loading it with Heretic on E1M1.

Ahh OK thank you, ill do that.  I must have deleted it when I 1st downloaded it & forgot I did such things or something.

Hi, I'm working on a dumb Moon map and wanted to see what some real Moon textures would look like. Leaving aesthetics aside, why does the picture look like that as a flat (floor)?

JD8RMl3.png

I'm using the exact same picture file for the walls and the floor, but somehow the floor looks corrupted/distorted. I just tried to use a different picture and it works fine as both texture and flat. Any idea what the problem could be? 

31 minutes ago, Der_Kaiser said:

Hi, I'm working on a dumb Moon map and wanted to see what some real Moon textures would look like. Leaving aesthetics aside, why does the picture look like that as a flat (floor)?

Reveal hidden contents

JD8RMl3.png

I'm using the exact same picture file for the walls and the floor, but somehow the floor looks corrupted/distorted. I just tried to use a different picture and it works fine as both texture and flat. Any idea what the problem could be? 

What are the size and type of the glitched texture as reported in SLADE 3?

3 minutes ago, Gez said:

What are the size and type of the glitched texture as reported in SLADE 3?

264x264, 72kb, Doom Graphic... Hmm, I'm guessing way too big?

I'm going to bet that it's the non-power-of-2 dimensions that cause problem in this case, since it seems (based on HUD) that you're using ZDoom. If you resize them to 256x256 i think they'd work. At least in ZDoom. For more generic compatibility, they'd need to be 64x64 in Doom Flat format.

Indeed I amd using ZDoom, sorry for not mentioning that small fact earlier. And indeed, resizing the image to 256x256 solved the problem, thank you!

Higher res Doom sprites have been a thing since forever, but has there ever been a x2 scale set?

All the packs I can find are x8 or x16 type sizes, and inevitably no longer look much like the original. I was thinking a straight x2 version might remain more loyal to the originals, but Google didn't through anything up.

How to create fake 3d floors in boom format?Maybe somewhere is tutorial left,which could help me?

I'm trying to make monsters teleport in Boom format with sectors that aren't connected.

I can't seem to get it working.

Here's what I did.

• Tagged a sector I know I'll fire in, the same as the void sectors with the monsters. (Tag 6)
  • Created two pillars blocking the monsters which lower when I cross a line. (Tag 9)
    • Pillars have a line tagged, "W1 Teleport" (Tags 7 & 8) Line ticks facing monsters.
  • Created a line to lower Tag 9.
  • Placed teleport destinations in two square sectors. (Tags 7 & 8)

For whatever reason it's not alerting the monsters in the void sectors. They are not ambush. What am I forgetting? The line lowers sector 9 and if I noclip to alert the monsters they teleport fine. 

Edit: I figured it out. I joined the sectors and got rid of tag 6.

11 hours ago, everennui said:

Edit: I figured it out. I joined the sectors and got rid of tag 6.

Yep you got it. Merely tagged sectors don't share sound propegation.

Merging them is generally the best solution. If you can't (because the source sector has a special function for example) drawing a long hidden pipe connecting the two also works.

Hey all,

I'm trying to create a monster (using Decorate) that randomly gets speed boosts for a few seconds every once in awhile. I'm aware that you can give powerups to monsters, so I thought it would be pretty easy -- just call A_Jump with a small chance of occurrence during the See state, jump to a state that gives a monster my custom PowerupGiver, and have that PowerupGiver automatically grant the Speed powerup.

It doesn't seem to work though. I've confirmed that my setup works with powerups like Ghost, but it doesn't seem to work with Speed. Any idea why, or how to fix it?

Here's all the relevant Decorate:

See:
BCHR A 0 A_Jump (50, "SpeedBurst")
BCHR AABB 3 A_Chase
BCHR C 0 A_PlaySoundEx("Butcher/Step", "SoundSlot7", 0)
BCHR CCDD 3 A_Chase
BCHR A 0 A_PlaySoundEx("Butcher/Step", "SoundSlot7", 0)
Loop
SpeedBurst:
BCHR A 0 A_GiveInventory ("KeeperBurstGiver")
Goto See

ACTOR PowerKeeperSpeedBurst : PowerSpeed
{
Powerup.Duration -8
Speed 36
}

ACTOR KeeperBurstGiver : PowerupGiver
{
+INVENTORY.AUTOACTIVATE
Powerup.Type "PowerKeeperSpeedBurst"
States
{
Spawn:
TNT1 A -1
Stop
}
}

Edited by Not Jabba

Monster speed doesn't work like player speed.

Basically, a monster doesn't move by acquiring momentum; it moves by doing what is technically a series of short-range teleportations. Whenever you call A_Chase, it moves. You can boost a monster's speed by reducing the tic length of its A_Chase-calling states.

A way to do that could be to make them fast states. Then for the speed burst, you use A_ChangeFlag (ALWAYSFAST, true) and you take the speed burst away with A_ChangeFlag (ALWAYSFAST, false). That you can do by setting an arg to 35 in the speedburst state sequence, with A_SetArg(0, 35), and having A_CountdownArg(0, "SpeedBurstRemove") in the beginning of the See state sequence. (There are 8 states with a non-zero duration in the see sequence, their duration will be halved and rounded down to 1 so a full cycle of the See sequence will last eight tics; you want the effect to last 8 seconds so that's 8*35 tics in total, so divided by 8 you'll need 35 for the number of time it must loop. Set it in the beginning to avoid it being short-circuited by an A_Chase call jumping to an attack state.)

5 hours ago, Gez said:

A way to do that could be to make them fast states. Then for the speed burst, you use A_ChangeFlag (ALWAYSFAST, true) and you take the speed burst away with A_ChangeFlag (ALWAYSFAST, false). That you can do by setting an arg to 35 in the speedburst state sequence, with A_SetArg(0, 35), and having A_CountdownArg(0, "SpeedBurstRemove") in the beginning of the See state sequence. (There are 8 states with a non-zero duration in the see sequence, their duration will be halved and rounded down to 1 so a full cycle of the See sequence will last eight tics; you want the effect to last 8 seconds so that's 8*35 tics in total, so divided by 8 you'll need 35 for the number of time it must loop. Set it in the beginning to avoid it being short-circuited by an A_Chase call jumping to an attack state.)

Thanks for the response! Let me paste my new code to make sure I'm following you:

See:
    BCHR A 0 A_CountdownArg (0, "SpeedBurstRemove")
    BCHR A 0 A_Jump (50, "SpeedBurst")
    BCHR AABB 3 FAST A_Chase
    BCHR C 0 A_PlaySoundEx("Butcher/Step", "SoundSlot7", 0)
    BCHR CCDD 3 FAST A_Chase
    BCHR A 0 A_PlaySoundEx("Butcher/Step", "SoundSlot7", 0)
    Loop

SpeedBurst:
    BCHR A 0 A_ChangeFlag (ALWAYSFAST, true)
    BCHR A 0 A_SetArg (0, 35)
    Goto See

SpeedBurstRemove:
    BCHR A 0 A_ChangeFlag (ALWAYSFAST, false)

Goto See

When I tested that, the monster died as soon as it went into the See state. I think this must have something to do with A_CountdownArg, because the page you linked me to says it defaults to the Death state. What am I missing?

That's annoying; I thought it only killed if sent to the death state.

No problem, though. Instead of using a single function for decreasing and jumping if zero, we'll use two. Replace BCHR A 0 A_CountDownArg (0, "SpeedBurstRemove") by

BCHR A 0 A_SetArg (0, args[0] - 1)

BCHR A 0 A_JumpIf (args[0] < 1, "SpeedBurstRemove")

That shouldn't kill the monster anymore.