Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

How to make invisible floor and ceiling in boom format? If this possible to do that. 

In Boom format, I tried but I can't. You can do invisible floors and ceilings in GZDoom with the 3D sectors or in ZDoom format with the bridge thing...

1 minute ago, leodoom85 said:

In Boom format, I tried but I can't. You can do invisible floors and ceilings in GZDoom with the 3D sectors or in ZDoom format with the bridge thing...

I want keep this in boom format for this time. I want create illusion with invinsible ceiling,like corpe hangs inside the middle ring :')

Have you tried putting the F_SKY flat for the trick? It could be the cleverest solution :')

13 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

I want keep this in boom format for this time. I want create illusion with invinsible ceiling,like corpe hangs inside the middle ring :')

Use effect 242 (Create Fake Floor and Ceiling). 

Check out this amazing wad.

3BKn5mv.png

Basics are: 

1) Remote sector outside the playspace with heights that are what will be rendered. 

2) Linedef with an effect 242 in that sector, given a tag.

3) The in-map sector that'll be affected has that  tag too, and is given the 'actual' heights of the invisible floor/ceiling.

The rendered heights and the actual heights can be adjusted independently. They can also move independently. There are lots of cool things it can be used for.

Edited by rdwpa

Another quick question-does boom read textures converted in png format?Or I need convert them in Doom graphic format before adding them in map? 

They have to be converted if you want them to work in software mode. glBoom+ can read PNGs, which have to be placed between "HI_START" and "HI_END" markers. That's usually only relevant in GL-specific mapsets, but some wads that aren't GL-specific will occasionally have alternate high-resolution skies that load only in GL ports, Sunlust and Ribbiks's Pepper, for example.

Edited by rdwpa

Is there a way to determine voodoo conveyor delay without trial and error. What I mean is, say I want a Cyberdemon platform to lower after 30 seconds, is there an easy way to determine the speed + length of the voodoo closet until the dude reaches that linedef?

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Is there a way to determine voodoo conveyor delay without trial and error. What I mean is, say I want a Cyberdemon platform to lower after 30 seconds, is there an easy way to determine the speed + length of the voodoo closet until the dude reaches that linedef?

Working with the floor scroll itself, probably not -- my understanding is that floors scroll at different speeds depending on the length of the floor, which is going to screw up any precise timing you could calculate. However, if you were able to determine how fast a wall lowers, you could set it up so that there's a very tall wall that takes 30 seconds to drop and then the voodoo doll crosses the line. I wonder if there's data somewhere on how fast each Boom door/wall/platform movement speed travels in a second?

https://soulsphere.org/projects/boomref/#sec12

Static Scrollers

The most basic kind of scrolling linedef causes some part of the tagged sector or tagged wall to scroll, in proportion to the length of the linedef the trigger is on, and according to the direction that trigger linedef lies. For each 32 units of length of the trigger, the tagged object scrolls 1 unit per frame. Since the length of a linedef doesn't change during gameplay, these types are static, the scrolling effect remains constant during gameplay. However, these effects can be combined with, and/or canceled by, other scrollers.

I think a frame is a tic, but I'm not sure. It takes a bit of time for an object to accelerate to full speed, but there are 35 tics in a second, so 35 units * 30 seconds = 1050 units, for a 32-long trigger linedef. I tested it out and it seems roughly accurate. 

Edited by rdwpa

Anyone have a megawad they they broke up into a quake style (entry hub) format?  If you have ever played Q1, you start in a level that lets you select the difficulty and the episode.  I also want to have a item that you get at the end of each episode that lets you unlock a door to the final boss level.

A MAPINFO example would be a fine start.  Thanks

Seems like that map is links to single maps and not episodes.  But I would just use the last level to link back onto level 1 again right?

But while we are at it, is there a way to convert my wad into a pk file?  I would love to have that kind of organization on Slade 3.

5 minutes ago, Zemini said:

But I would just use the last level to link back onto level 1 again right?

Exactly!

As for conversion, I think Slade can do it automatically, but don't quote me on this. Still, converting by hand isn't that hard, just a few export commands and you're done. Just open that Dump pk3 as a zip file if you need an example, and the format is here: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement

That link says that Slade is capable of doing it, but there is no literature on how it is done.  I am messing around with it atm.

The skulltag format has an anti-gravity zone object in things, I placed one in a test map and they only appear as error signs, does this indicate that I can make zero g sectors? If so how do I do this?

16 minutes ago, Esham the Unholy said:

they only appear as error signs

This means they don't exist in whatever you're running your map. If you're running it in Skulltag, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ZDoom's UDMF allows you to set even negative gravity to a sector, couldn't you use that instead?

3 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

This means they don't exist in whatever you're running your map. If you're running it in Skulltag, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ZDoom's UDMF allows you to set even negative gravity to a sector, couldn't you use that instead?

So open in UDMF I assume? I like Skulltag because of the monsters that it includes and whatnot, although when I run my map externally (outside doombuilder 2), they don't exist, also when I add monsters through Slade it seems to only work a fraction of the time.

Where could I get feedback for my first level, if I don't feel like it's worth yet to get a thread on here?

Is there a way to make the first level a different map or does it always have to be MAP01?

Also, since I failed at making a Quake like episode system, I am going ot resort to just doing a Classic D1 episode list.  Do I just place the maps after the episode?  The example on zdoom wiki isn't very clear about it.

But there is nothing that lets you define what map number it is.  If I wanted to make the first map be level 33, but it needs to pop up first (mechanics of my campaign) then I would do this?

MAP MAP33 "NAME"

{

LEVELNUM = 1

}

It still loads the first map in classic doom.

Basically I want my maps on the map screen and within GZDoom builder to be accurate since the first level ends instantly and is just used for story telling purposes.  thanks.

The "first map" when you start a game is the first map of the episode you selected. So what you want to do is to define an episode.

It's perfectly possible to have an episode start at MAP33.

It's not the editor that matters; you can't shoot and nothing blocks you in the editor. Tell which port you're using, because that's what determines what features are available to you.

31 minutes ago, HyperLuke said:

How to make those fences that block your way but you can shoot and see through? Using GZDoomBuilder

The basic way is to make the linedef Impassable (it's a flag) but to give it the middle texture as one of the fence or gate type textures.

The actual method on GZDoomBuilder can vary depending on the mapping format you're using, but that's the basic premise.