Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

5 hours ago, Gez said:

It's not the editor that matters; you can't shoot and nothing blocks you in the editor. Tell which port you're using, because that's what determines what features are available to you.

GZDoom UDMF.

9 hours ago, HyperLuke said:

How to make those fences that block your way but you can shoot and see through? Using GZDoomBuilder

That just the fence as a midtexture and then the impassible flag set. In vanilla and Boom that blocks monsters and the player but always always hitscan and projectiles. In UDMF you get more options. Same setup, but then you can make it block projectiles or hitscan, block monsters only or player only, so and and so forth.

Can anyone point me to any guides on how to change the skybox textures in doom 2? I want to use a different skybox (Such as episode 4 of ultimate doom) as the first set of levels (1-11) but i'm pretty new to this stuff, and hte last time I tried I ended up deleting all the textures from my tnt.wad.

Well the simplest is to use a texture editor and redefine the SKY1 texture (you can change which patches it uses).

An even simpler way would be to replace the rsky1 patch. This will work even in vanilla, but it will replace the sky in all the maps of the first chapter, as would Gez's suggestion.

For ports that support it, MAPINFO could do it for you, too.

If you just replace the RSKY1 patch, it won't work in Plutonia or TNT. :p

7 minutes ago, Gez said:

If you just replace the RSKY1 patch, it won't work in Plutonia or TNT. :p

Oh, I didn't know that. I've never mapped for those iwads. Why won't it work?

Got the episode set up figured out thanks.  A lot more simpler than I thought.  Wish I could do a Q1 like system, but Ill just get back to map making for now.

Anyone know the standard for episode length?  My OCD wants 10 levels each!

Edited by Zemini

12 minutes ago, Empyre said:

Oh, I didn't know that. I've never mapped for those iwads. Why won't it work?

Because they're defined differently.

The SKY1 texture in Plutonia is defined from the SKY1 patch; the SKY1 texture in TNT is defined from the DOEDAY, DONDAY, DOWDAY and DOSDAY patches.

Likewise, Plutonia SKY2 is made of SKY2A, SKY2B, SKY2C, and SKY2D; TNT SKY2 is DOENITE, DONNITE, DOWNITE, and DOSNITE; Plutonia SKY3 is SKY3A and SKY3B; TNT SKY3 is DOEHELL, DONHELL, DOWHELL, DOSHELL.

I'm still really insanely new to doom texture editing and such, so sadly its not the easiest thing for me to do. I really dont like the default doom 2 initial sky texture, I really want the orange sky from doom 1 ep 4.

Open your wad in SLADE 3. Click on the texture editor button (blue T in front of bricks). If it asks to create a texture lump, tell it to import from base resource archive (you need to have previously set Doom II as your base resource archive, so do that first if you haven't yet). In the main editor, add the SKY4 patch to your archive, then right click on it and select add to PNAMES.

Then in the texture editor, go to SKY1, select its patch (should be RSKY1) and click on the replace patch button (the one with two horizontal arrows) and choose the SKY4 patch.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Open your wad in SLADE 3. Click on the texture editor button (blue T in front of bricks). If it asks to create a texture lump, tell it to import from base resource archive (you need to have previously set Doom II as your base resource archive, so do that first if you haven't yet). In the main editor, add the SKY4 patch to your archive, then right click on it and select add to PNAMES.

Then in the texture editor, go to SKY1, select its patch (should be RSKY1) and click on the replace patch button (the one with two horizontal arrows) and choose the SKY4 patch.

Thanks Gez, ill give that a shot!

Can someone tell me if Zandronum handles "RandomSpawner" differently in multiplayer than in singleplayer?

Actor HunterSpawner : RandomSpawner 16101
{
//$Category HM Spawners
//$Sprite HUNTA1
//$Color 16
	DropItem "XenoHunter", 168
}

Actor HunterSpawnerLow : RandomSpawner 16102
{
//$Category HM Spawners
//$Sprite HUNTA1
//$Color 16
	DropItem "XenoHunter", 100, 8
	DropItem "FaceHugger", 230, 1
}

Actor FaceHuggerSpawner : RandomSpawner 16108
{
//$Category HM Spawners
//$Sprite HUGRA1
//$Color 16
	DropItem "XenoHunter", 150, 1
	DropItem "FaceHugger", 190, 10
}

These things work perfectly in SP levels, but the second they are put onto a Zandronum 3.0 170416-0710 server, the spawners make things at practically 1/4th the rate they should be.

Edited by Xyzzy01 : nevermind I figured it out :P

Can someone tell me the best way to make circles in doom builder? I tried the  curved line tool, but i'm not entirely sure how it works. is there an easier way?

I tend to draw 4 lines and then use the curve lindef tool. Here's a couple of screenshots explaining it. (FYI this is GZDoom Builder, but this same method worked in the old-school Doom Builder too.)

Step 1:
Draw a 4-point rectangle at a 45 degree rotation, like illustrated in the image below:

78b2dfadbf9243eb466ee43a5466c8e0.png

Step 2:
With the linedefs selected in linedefs mode (L hotkey), click on the curve linedefs button along the top toolbar:

dfea9fdfddf2f65d9353d7349353a030.png

Step 3:
Now mess about with the settings that have appeared where the curve linedef tool used to appear. For your case, ensure the fixed circular curve button is enabled, and select 90 degrees for your angle. When you're happy with your choice, press enter or click the tick button to the right of the fixed circular curve button.

2e53d491d76176b21d193b259216503d.png 

GZDoom Builder has a Draw Ellipse mode, which creates circular or elliptic shapes directly, similarly how graphic editors do. In Doom Builder 2, you must draw an orthogonal linedef, curve it with distance parameter equal to half the linedef's length, then draw another linedef in the same place but with the opposite direction, and curve this linedef as well with the same distance.

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I tend to draw 4 lines and then use the curve lindef tool. Here's a couple of screenshots explaining it. (FYI this is GZDoom Builder, but this same method worked in the old-school Doom Builder too.)

Step 1:
Draw a 4-point rectangle at a 45 degree rotation, like illustrated in the image below:

78b2dfadbf9243eb466ee43a5466c8e0.png

Step 2:
With the linedefs selected in linedefs mode (L hotkey), click on the curve linedefs button along the top toolbar:

dfea9fdfddf2f65d9353d7349353a030.png

Step 3:
Now mess about with the settings that have appeared where the curve linedef tool used to appear. For your case, ensure the fixed circular curve button is enabled, and select 90 degrees for your angle. When you're happy with your choice, press enter or click the tick button to the right of the fixed circular curve button.

2e53d491d76176b21d193b259216503d.png 

Thanks a ton Gez! I forgot i'm using gzdoom builder so its a bit different, but i'm pretty sure this method actually works!

Okay, having another issue that I cant figure out. In the screenshot below, the mid texture i'm using is bleeding through the door. this is only happening in zdoom, and not gzdoom, so I'm assuming its an issue with the software renderer zdoom uses. I was wondering if anyone knows of a fix?

Grate issue.png

For a ZDoom map, the simplest is to put "ClipMidTextures" in its MAPINFO definition.

Another possibility is to use a different light level on the other side (this will force the renderer to treat the front and back sectors as being different planes; the midtextures aren't clipped because the renderer uses a shortcut and treat both sectors as the same plane when possible, and when it does that it forgets to clip mid textures that are fully inside the plane). In this case I'd recommend using a different light level anyway because these small waterways should logically be darker.

16 minutes ago, Gez said:

For a ZDoom map, the simplest is to put "ClipMidTextures" in its MAPINFO definition.

Another possibility is to use a different light level on the other side (this will force the renderer to treat the front and back sectors as being different planes; the midtextures aren't clipped because the renderer uses a shortcut and treat both sectors as the same plane when possible, and when it does that it forgets to clip mid textures that are fully inside the plane). In this case I'd recommend using a different light level anyway because these small waterways should logically be darker.

Thank you again Gez, that fixed it.

On 2017-4-29 at 1:42 PM, Phade102 said:

Thanks a ton Gez! I forgot i'm using gzdoom builder so its a bit different, but i'm pretty sure this method actually works!

I'm not Gez.

I don't understand why everytime when I try convert picture in Doom flat(picture is 64x64 as usual) in slade,after conversion program doesn't recognise that converted picture as flat and shows me as unknown entry. I just really need explanation why this happens a lot. 

It's just SLADE3 mislabeling the flat, which actually gets converted properly, and if you save the wad, close it in SLADE3 and open it again, it will recognize the flat.

3 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

It's just SLADE3 mislabeling the flat, which actually gets converted properly, and if you save the wad, close it in SLADE3 and open it again, it will recognize the flat.

Damn,I thought I did something wrong here. They should fix this thing,it's quite annoying. Anyway,thank you. 

I have a lot of questions regarding textures.  I am trying to organize them the best way possible to make map making faster.

1.  TX verus PP? Do add them to Patch table or Texture?  What does this mean exactly?

2.  How do you manage textures when there are thousands of them?  If I load up 20k textures on Slade 3, things get a little slow.  What do map makers do?  Just pick a set from one of the pk3's?

3.  How do I put textures into categories?  Lets say I have a brick texture that I want it be seen under Brick and/or another type like Hell or Base.  

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Zemini said:

I have a lot of questions regarding textures.  I am trying to organize them the best way possible to make map making faster.

1.  TX verus PP? Do add them to Patch table or Texture?  What does this mean exactly?

2.  How do you manage textures when there are thousands of them?  If I load up 20k textures on Slade 3, things get a little slow.  What do map makers do?  Just pick a set from one of the pk3's?

3.  How do I put textures into categories?  Lets say I have a brick texture that I want it be seen under Brick and/or another type like Hell or Base.  

Thanks

1.It's better to include them in PP_START and PP_END and FF_START and FF_END entries and if you include them in TEXTUREx lump,they automatically goes to PNAMES lump.
2.Why you need thounsands of textures?If you don't plan to do megawad,you won't use half of them for one map.
3.You can check CCtex for category example. (that texture pack is included in Community Chest4 megawad)