Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

1.  TX verus PP? Do add them to Patch table or Texture?  What does this mean exactly?

PP means that you have to mess with TEXTUREx and PNAMES to be able to use your textures, instructions for all that is a few posts above yours. It allows you to make textures out of small patches (can be useful sometimes), and it's also the vanilla, harder, manlier way of doing it. Be very careful though, it can break easily and completely mess up your textures.

TX means that you just "plug and play". Place your image file between the markers and OMG it shows up in DB2 already! Only for the infidel heretics that have abandoned the true, vanilla way of doing things and replaced it with (G/Q)ZDoom or Risen3D or whatever.

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

3.  How do I put textures into categories?  Lets say I have a brick texture that I want it be seen under Brick and/or another type like Hell or Base.  

You mean the texture categories in DB2? If so, press F6, select your configuration, there's a tab called "Textures" or something, choose a category, somehow get into a window that lets you add or remove textures from it.

You'll figure it out.

I might be wrong about all this, though.

I add them to Patch Table but they do not get added into Texture1.  Do I need two do it manually?  Each time? 2234 times actually since that is how many I have added so far.  I looked at the difference with TX and PP on the wiki and it seems that the only ones I would want under the PP are textures that large and connect to one another.  But I can just convert those bigger ones into PNG's and the game and gzdoom builder seems to still load them the same?

I am making a 30+ level campaign.

10 minutes ago, Zemini said:

Do I need two do it manually?  Each time? 2234 times actually

You can block-select multiple patches and use actions like "Add to PNAMES" or "Add to TEXTUREx" onto the selection.

1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

You can block-select multiple patches and use actions like "Add to PNAMES" or "Add to TEXTUREx" onto the selection.

If you choose Add to TEXTUREx, it will automatically also be added to PNAMES, something I learned too late to save me some time a few months ago.

I've got another question, how would you take maps from wads, and merge them to a single wad. Even if they had custom/different resources to each other, and are designed for different ports?

3 hours ago, HyperLuke said:

I've got another question, how would you take maps from wads, and merge them to a single wad. Even if they had custom/different resources to each other, and are designed for different ports?

Why tho? Mixing those sounds like it wasn't meant to be done. But to answer the question, as long as there are no resource conflicts (i.e. both maps having a replaced Imp or something) you should be able to just copy everything from one WAD and paste it into the other with respect to namespaces.

38 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Why tho? Mixing those sounds like it wasn't meant to be done. But to answer the question, as long as there are no resource conflicts (i.e. both maps having a replaced Imp or something) you should be able to just copy everything from one WAD and paste it into the other with respect to namespaces.

Because I have an idea for a community project I would like to try, but only once I get more mapping experience. Would there be a way to have say different enemies (such as imp variant a in one wad and imp variant b in another [without them having the same names]) and merge them together?

7 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I'm not Gez.

So you arent, I apologise! not sure where I got that mixed up.

On 4/30/2017 at 3:15 PM, bzzrak said:

You mean the texture categories in DB2? If so, press F6, select your configuration, there's a tab called "Textures" or something, choose a category, somehow get into a window that lets you add or remove textures from it.

You'll figure it out.

I might be wrong about all this, though.

What I mean is that I download a "Brick like" texture from realm667 and want to to be listed under the Bricks section when editing the linedef.  Most textures from Reallm667 are not put into a category and just listed under unnamed or untitled or something like that.  It would even be better if I could give them multiple categories, such as Brick AND Hell (if it is hellish).  Or flats that can be put into Hell or Base depending on what style they could be used for.

And another question.  Does anyone have experiance editing sprites in Game Maker?  I tried using adobe photoshop but it is super slow.  Loading up the caco demon brings my computer to a halt.  So I guess the a computer from 2017 still can't handle 200 kbs of art.  Or it is just adobe.  having 36 sprite PNG's is too much for it to handle.  Thank god I decided to not buy it.

Edited by Zemini

Whenever I make a square/rectangular room in GZDoom Builder and adjust the brightness, the walls become unevenly lit up. Is this an issue, or am I just paranoid? Also, I'm using the Boom format right now, but it's consistent throughout all the formats I've looked at. I don't recall this being a problem when I last made a map in this program, but that was nearly a year ago and I have updated it since then.

Here's an example:

uhhh.jpg.6a402f8f9d5184f2d7d48613644a5449.jpg

That's GZDB's brilliant decision to make walls show up like they will in-game with normal Doom lighting. I don't know how to stop it.

That is how walls appear IN-GAME. I forget the specifics but it is a 'fake contrast' feature that makes your geometry feel more 3D rather than evenly lit. I believe north/south walls are -16 brightness compared to the sector brightness, and east/west walls are +16 brightness, but I may be incorrect regarding the numbers.

I have a very silly question - how to change sky in slade completely?Xwe(yeah,I know I shouldn't use outdated software for wad editing) method is way too complicated. 

New problem.  What happened to the door sounds?  Everything else seems to work but my doors make ZERO sound when I open them.

@Zemini - Honestly that question is far too vague for anyone to help without making a few assumptions and educated guesses. It would be best if you upload your WAD/PK3 so someone can investigate. :)

31 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

I have a very silly question - how to change sky in slade completely?Xwe(yeah,I know I shouldn't use outdated software for wad editing) method is way too complicated. 

Like in the middle of a map? or adding one?

33 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

You can simply replace the texture that is used for the sky. (RSKY1, RSKY2, RSKY3, assuming you're using Doom2 as your IWAD.)

Also the reason XWE is a bad tool to use is not because it is outdated, but rather because of the errors and bugs in the software which have a nasty habit of corrupting your WADs. (It does lack a LOT of modern-day features too, so SLADE3 is currently a better choice. :P)

Just now, leodoom85 said:

Like in the middle of a map? or adding one?

I want fully replace sky per epizode,I could use sky transfer,but I'm going to use tags,so it's not the option. 

1 minute ago, Dragonfly said:

You can simply replace the texture that is used for the sky. (RSKY1, RSKY2, RSKY3, assuming you're using Doom2 as your IWAD.)

Exclude main one and include desired sky? 

If you want to change the sky in the original Doom 2 wad, you can't. Slade can't save the wad because it's disabled by default. You have to create another wad for it.

9 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

If you want to change the sky in the original Doom 2 wad, you can't. Slade can't save the wad because it's disabled by default. You have to create another wad for it.

Well,I have my pwad,I won't alter my Doom 2 Iwad. Well,I'll try my best. 

17 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

That is how walls appear IN-GAME. I forget the specifics but it is a 'fake contrast' feature that makes your geometry feel more 3D rather than evenly lit. I believe north/south walls are -16 brightness compared to the sector brightness, and east/west walls are +16 brightness, but I may be incorrect regarding the numbers.

We've got an article on the wiki which explains how it works and why. I recommend comparing the two screenshots of E2M2, the one where it is disabled really helps understand why that feature is good.

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

@Zemini - Honestly that question is far too vague for anyone to help without making a few assumptions and educated guesses. It would be best if you upload your WAD/PK3 so someone can investigate. :)

I might do that tonight if I get a chance.  However I did nothing out of the ordinary.  I have been using the GZDB2 "Build Door" button for most of these.  Last time I fixed this by changing the map number from 33 to 01.  But that just doesn't make any sense does it?  It also seems that platforms do not make any sounds as well.

It could be anything, really. 

1 hour ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Well,I have my pwad,I won't alter my Doom 2 Iwad. Well,I'll try my best. 

That's what I mean. Add a texture called RSKY1 between your PP_START and PP_END markers within your own PWAD.

1 minute ago, Dragonfly said:

It could be anything, really. 

That's what I mean. Add a texture called RSKY1 between your PP_START and PP_END markers within your own PWAD.

I figured out how to change sky. Anyway,thanks for help. 

In your MAPINFO:

MAP 01 "THE CAST"

Should actually be:

MAP MAP01 "THE CAST"

Because the map's label is "MAP01", not "01". Fixing this seems to fix the door sound problem.

15 hours ago, Zemini said:

I might do that tonight if I get a chance.  However I did nothing out of the ordinary.  I have been using the GZDB2 "Build Door" button for most of these.  Last time I fixed this by changing the map number from 33 to 01.  But that just doesn't make any sense does it?  It also seems that platforms do not make any sounds as well.

1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

In your MAPINFO:

MAP 01 "THE CAST"

Should actually be:

MAP MAP01 "THE CAST"

Because the map's label is "MAP01", not "01". Fixing this seems to fix the door sound problem.

To explain a bit for why exactly such a weird thing happens: "MAP 01" is the vanilla Hexen syntax, so if you use it, the MAPINFO parser will flag the maps as being "vanilla Hexen" and that results in several special compatibility treatments to handle differences between the default assumptions of Hexen and ZDoom. And one of these differences concern sound_sequences, more precisely, it disables automatic sound sequences so every sector that moves needs to have a sound sequence explicitly defined. Actually, here's the full list of changes that happen as a result of using Hexen MAPINFO syntax:

if (HexenHack)
	{
		levelinfo->WallHorizLight = levelinfo->WallVertLight = 0;

// Hexen levels are automatically nointermission,
		// no auto sound sequences, falling damage,
		// monsters activate their own specials, and missiles
		// are always the activators of impact lines.
		levelinfo->flags |= LEVEL_NOINTERMISSION
						 | LEVEL_SNDSEQTOTALCTRL
						 | LEVEL_FALLDMG_HX
						 | LEVEL_ACTOWNSPECIAL;
		levelinfo->flags2|= LEVEL2_HEXENHACK
						 | LEVEL2_INFINITE_FLIGHT
						 | LEVEL2_MISSILESACTIVATEIMPACT
						 | LEVEL2_MONSTERFALLINGDAMAGE;

}

It disables fake_contrast, disables intermission (so when moving between levels you won't get the kill/item/secret tally), enables Hexen-style falling_damage, change the assignation of the activator pointer when a monster dies and when a projectile hits an impact-triggered line, makes the wings of wrath flight unlimited in duration, kills monsters if they fall from high enough, prevents from using argument values greater than 255 in ACS, change the order in which ACS scripts are executed, prevents using thing spawn flags that didn't exist in Hexen, and some other things in addition to requiring explicit sound sequence assignation.