Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

12 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

Compare these pictures. Software GZDoom first, hardware GZDoom second. Sorry for the huge attachments.

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20170512_032036.png.f6e0c6f5866d7d754b2c052f28d9399c.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170512_032055.png.f7fd0bbdc505c249ffde7e5c4eda89ce.png

If you mean the 3D cylindrical projection perspective, it can't be replicated in software mode (well, unless you make a cylindrical room, paste the sky texture onto its walls like a regular texture, and use a skybox viewpoint). If you mean that the buildings are too low to be seen... I don't know how to fix that without editing the graphic, which would also change its appearance in hardware mode, though.

@scifista42 More about the alignment. Like, hardware seems to have a lower-unpegged flag set, and the sky is drawn from the horizon upwards. Software does its own thing and it looks weird. Guess I'll just add a warning about the sky not looking as intended in software and release it.

Still, thanks. I was hoping for you to have a solution, but since you don't, guess I'll have to improvise. Thanks, bud.

See sky_stretching on the ZDoom wiki for information about how the software renderer adjusts the sky.

You can also use PALVERS to make the software renderer use a different sky texture, but that won't work for people using the software renderer in truecolor mode.

On 5/11/2017 at 11:13 PM, scifista42 said:

Not sure if it's going to work, but try setting "targetline" to "0" in Line_SetPortalTarget.

*Mwah*, I could kiss you!  This worked absolutely perfectly! 

Anyone know if you can apply the Warp effect in GZDoom's ANIMDEFS lump to just a single map in a wad, and not the others?

I'm making a map for a community project that isn't allowing new textures and I'd like to apply the Warp effect to a vanilla texture. I don't what to activate the effect for everyone else's map as well. I was wondering if you could use ACS or equivalent, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

No, ANIMDEFS stuff is always per-texture.

That said you could try negotiating for having a TEXTURES lump that merely gives an alternate name to an existing texture. Strictly speaking you'd only be adding a text lump, not a graphic.

Ok, thanks, I suspected as much.

The issue is that the "no new textures" rule is kind of my rule, and it'd be somewhat of a dick move to ban everyone else from using custom textures and then merrily let myself use one on a technicality!

I'll see if I can find an alternative approach. Thanks anyway though!

Quick question: What's the process regarding updating your wad if it's already on /idgames or whatever the current archive is?

23 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Quick question: What's the process regarding updating your wad if it's already on /idgames or whatever the current archive is?

At the very top of the .txt there should be a field for notes to the maintainer, and which file is being updated: ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/msdos/games/idgames/UPLTEMPL.TXT

Just say it's an updated version of whatever.wad. If you want to be REALLY sure, then send an email in advance explaining the upload too, or leave a .msg file with text saying what should be done.

Another question. Why will certain custom enemies not load up when I implement them into Slade3? I added a UAC Bot to my archive and despite taking forever to re-organize due to my laggy computer it will cut off Doom from starting up and will give me the error along the lines of " 'BOUNCETYPE' is an unknown actor property", although most other enemies I added work fine.

**EDIT** I also have similar issues with weapons like when adding the Gatling Laser I get an error like "GATLASER.wad:DECORATE" line 30:
Invalid state parameter a_setpitch"

Edited by Esham the Unholy

On 12.5.2017 at 8:22 AM, Albertoni said:

Compare these pictures. Software GZDoom first, hardware GZDoom second. Sorry for the huge attachments.

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20170512_032036.png.f6e0c6f5866d7d754b2c052f28d9399c.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170512_032055.png.f7fd0bbdc505c249ffde7e5c4eda89ce.png

The major rule for stuff like this:

Screenshots cannot be debugged.

That said, there's several possible causes here. I have tried to make the sky alignment mostly the same for both renderers, but there will always be cases when it won't work. Best post a small test WAD so that someone can actuallly check the sky in-game. This doesn't even require posting the map.

1 hour ago, Esham the Unholy said:

Another question. Why will certain custom enemies not load up when I implement them into Slade3? I added a UAC Bot to my archive and despite taking forever to re-organize due to my laggy computer it will cut off Doom from starting up and will give me the error along the lines of " 'BOUNCETYPE' is an unknown actor property", although most other enemies I added work fine.

**EDIT** I also have similar issues with weapons like when adding the Gatling Laser I get an error like "GATLASER.wad:DECORATE" line 30:
Invalid state parameter a_setpitch"

You are probably using an outdated port / version of the port.

I am trying to implement a sky into a D2 map but am having some issues. The original size of the sky i want to use is 1024x256. When trying to use it named "RSKY1" it doesn't wrap properly and tiles ingame. Is there a size limit going on with skies when named RSKY1 or similar?

Additionally i tried chopping it up much like the Plutonia E2 sky but i can't get that sky to work either. Will sky lmp's named SKY1A etc work in Doom 2?

This map is a boom map so a transfer is the last resort, but with ~150 tags present i don't really want to do it unless i have to, and regardless of this i am trying to further my understanding of how Doom skies work here.

The sky is a normal texture in the textures lump, named SKY1. You could check that out with Slade and see if nothing weird is happening in there. You could also try making the texture 1024x128.

Ah, yes i see how it works now, thanks. I see how the 'patches' work to make up the sky. I am not very familiar with Slade yet, very frustrating but getting there...

What is everybody's mapping process? I think I remember Romero said a co-op/interview that he maps more or less linearly & playtests as he goes. Not that his maps are linear but he basically goes room to room. How does everybody else do it?

15 hours ago, scifista42 said:

You are probably using an outdated port / version of the port.

You were right, I successfully implemented the UAC bot, Skulltag I guess is flawed despite its halt on updates, although this just creates a new problem, the assets from skulltag like the extra weapons, textures, and monsters can't be used if I open my wad in GZDoom, I will be given an error when I add skulltag_data.pk4 into resources which is the only way to include them as far as my knowledge goes.

17 minutes ago, Esham the Unholy said:

You were right, I successfully implemented the UAC bot, Skulltag I guess is flawed despite its halt on updates, although this just creates a new problem, the assets from skulltag like the extra weapons, textures, and monsters can't be used if I open my wad in GZDoom, I will be given an error when I add skulltag_data.pk4 into resources which is the only way to include them as far as my knowledge goes.

I have ported 95% of the skulltag resources to GZDoom for my own project which started out nearly 9 years ago and uses a vast majority of the ST resources. That said, I heavily recommend against using these files and would instead suggest building your own resource pack by either creating or downloading the specific textures, enemies and weapons etc individually. The ST Weapons exist on Realm667, if you need a place to start.

I would offer to give you a PK3 of the newly compiled resources but they've been totally merged into my own project which has a lot more resources also added to it.

Edited by Dragonfly

Anyone know how to open Valiant's dehacked patch? I always get this message when trying to open in in WhackEd4. Versions 1.1.2

Capture.PNG

1 hour ago, A2Rob said:

Anyone know how to open Valiant's dehacked patch? I always get this message when trying to open in in WhackEd4. Versions 1.1.2

I don't know about WhackEd, but I've had no trouble viewing it in Slade.

What would be the most efficient way of "resetting" a switch activation linedef to do something else entirely after it's been used once (using ACS)?

I know I can use SetLineSpecial to give it a new action, but how would I go about resetting the "use once" flag?

Or does SetLineSpecial automatically reset whether the linedef has been "used"?

4 hours ago, A2Rob said:

Did you open it as MBF-type BEX?

1 minute ago, Bauul said:

I know I can use SetLineSpecial to give it a new action, but how would I go about resetting the "use once" flag?

https://zdoom.org/wiki/SetLineActivation

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

Or does SetLineSpecial automatically reset whether the linedef has been "used"?

Yes.

The way it works is actually quite simple: if a line doesn't have the "repeat" flag, then using it simply removes the special entirely. Putting back a special on it therefore restores it to "use once" status.

I'm having a massive issue with shadowcasting (Making the ceiling ignore the sector lighting and use the lighting next to it. I've never had this issue before, I've done the same steps I usually do, but this time i'm getting this.592480f0ef6b0_ExperimentZero(editarea)at2017_05.2404-03-18.411R2787.jpg.7a3b44a602c21eb3132a74bc5ed24275.jpg

Basically how it looks here in the editor is exactly how it shows in game. the ceiling still shows the same lighting. what am I doing wrong? am I just drawing a mental blank? I have made sure to make sure the area is not up against any of the main walls, there is a gap between them all.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

I may be failing to understand your intent but if you're looking for the ceiling to be 0 brightness, move the ceiling WAYYYY up so the player will not be able to see it from any angle.

If you're using a ZDoom based engine, you can use Light Transfers. Here's an old tutorial for it - https://zdoom.org/zdkb/transferlight.html

Edited by Dragonfly : Typos. Typo's everywhere..!

Light transfers are also a thing in Boom, so you can use them in pretty much anything but vanilla.

9 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I may be failing to understand your intent but if you're looking for the ceiling to be 0 brightness, move the ceiling WAYYYY up so the player will not be able to see it from any angle.

If you're using a ZDoom based engine, you can use Light Transfers. Here's an old tutorial for it - https://zdoom.org/zdkb/transferlight.html

Oh.my.god Marry me. Thank you SO much that makes stuff SO much easier.