• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Already engaged I'm afraid! Glad I could help though. :P

awh thats great though good on you!

I've got 2 questions regarding Boom maps.

1. Which is the recommended nodebuilder to use in the GZDB options? Someone suggested ZDBSP-Normal (zero reject) and I've noticed larger maps save faster than whatever the default was. Is there a "proper" one I should be using?

2. Is there a way to make killing a Romero head take you to the secret level from a particular map? Either through dehacked or whatnot.

1. There is no "proper" nodebuilder for all maps - it depends on map size, specific geometry, monster count, target port/compatibility, and whether you prefer good in-game performance, performance during saving the map, or small file size. "Zero reject" is saving fast because the REJECT lump is just being filled with zeros instead of being computed out of map geometry (which ZDBSP can't do on any setting), so line-of-sight checking within the game will be slower (but it is only noticeable in maps that are very large and/or contain very many monsters). The zero filled REJECT is useless, but still a valid lump that every port including vanilla can read (as opposed to the "No reject" setting, which saves file size by making an empty REJECT lump, but this makes the map crash in vanilla and certain classic ports).

2. No.

Edited by scifista42

Hi everyone :)

I installed Doombuilder 2 a few days ago to warmup again for making levels, and when I looked up some things I recognized it doesnt seem to be capable of some things i wanna do.

At this stage, I wanna keep it vanilla (no 3D stuff). I mean maybe i wanna do my own Weapons and Monsters one day, but i dont think thats the problem at this point.

But i wanna execute scripts for doors that open when a monster is killed and so on (just a basic example). So i found out about GZDoom Builder, but i am a bit confused about the different versions.

There is a version 2.3 (R2364), there is a GZDB_Updater, and there is what i assume is the latest one called R2787, i also read about different branches and whatnot. So from what i understand there arent only udates, but also forks.

So which of those should i install?

1 minute ago, karacho said:

I wanna keep it vanilla

1 minute ago, karacho said:

But i wanna execute scripts for doors that open when a monster is killed and so on

Unfortunately it's one or the other. Aside form a few map-specific cases, vanilla doom doesn't have any special features like this. What I would suggest is mapping for ZDoom (UDMF Format) but mapping with a vanilla style. Also, instead of Doom Builder 2, I'd recommend using GZDoom Builder's bugfixed version. It's essentially the same software, just heavily updated and with a lot more features. Latest version is r2978 I believe, which is linked at the top of the provided link.

If you need tutorials for this kind of stuff, take a moment to google around and/or look on Youtube. Also, don't forget the ZDoom Wiki, as this explains how to use a lot of advanced features in detail.

Hope this helps. :)

4 minutes ago, karacho said:

execute scripts for doors that open when a monster is killed

4 minutes ago, karacho said:

I wanna keep it vanilla

Choose one of the two

Thanks for the help and clarification. :)

And yeah when i meant vanilla, i meant monsters, weapons, architecture and so on.

I wanna stay as vanilla as it gets, but in cases i sway away from vanilla, i will try to keep it so it is still known from vanilla. People that played only through Doom 1+2 are aware that something can happen when a monster dies - even when it is map specific.

Anyway thats my goal now. That goal may change over time, but mapping in itself should be enough work for me. :)

2 minutes ago, karacho said:

Thanks for the help and clarification. :)

And yeah when i meant vanilla, i meant monsters, weapons, architecture and so on.

I wanna stay as vanilla as it gets, but in cases i sway away from vanilla, i will try to keep it so it is still known from vanilla. People that played only through Doom 1+2 are aware that something can happen when a monster dies - even when it is map specific.

Anyway thats my goal now. That goal may change over time, but mapping in itself should be enough work for me. :)

Yes. You can make a map without fancy architecture like 3D sectors with normal or scripting actions perfectly fine, and using vanilla texture.

10 hours ago, scifista42 said:

1. There is no "proper" nodebuilder for all maps - it depends on map size, specific geometry, monster count, target port/compatibility, and whether you prefer good in-game performance, performance during saving the map, or small file size.

Let's say it's a large map with over 1k monsters and I'm aiming for the best in-game performance in GLBoom+ and GZDoom. Which nodebuilder is best for that purpose?

24 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Let's say it's a large map with over 1k monsters and I'm aiming for the best in-game performance in GLBoom+ and GZDoom. Which nodebuilder is best for that purpose?

It's going to get its nodes rebuilt at level load anyway, thanks to the fact the nodes are way different in OpenGL. You might look into building them yourself, but... I don't think there's any but glBSP.

The best performance advice we can give you knowing so little about your map is: If you don't NEED to have a sector there, remove it and fake the sky with a lowered sector. 1-sided lines block things from rendering. You ain't gonna get out of doing the optimization yourself here.

12 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Yes. You can make a map without fancy architecture like 3D sectors with normal or scripting actions perfectly fine, and using vanilla texture.

Funnily enough this came up on the radio show I did with 40oz a couple of days back. I think it's a shame that there aren't more ZDoom compatible maps that are essentially vanilla in design, just make very effective use of a few advanced features.

Usually if someone makes a ZDoom map, the presumption is it'll use loads of ZDoom effects, but that doesn't have to be true.

10 hours ago, Bauul said:

Funnily enough this came up on the radio show I did with 40oz a couple of days back. I think it's a shame that there aren't more ZDoom compatible maps that are essentially vanilla in design, just make very effective use of a few advanced features.

Usually if someone makes a ZDoom map, the presumption is it'll use loads of ZDoom effects, but that doesn't have to be true.

Really?. It's possible to do a map of this kind. The thing is, since you have the option of selecting whatever format you like (usually UDMF), you'll use whatever effect that you want...

17 hours ago, Bauul said:

The wad i'm making is just this. I'm trying to keep the map looking as vanillia as possible, but I'm using advanced features to make the map a bit more fun.

21 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Probably "Zennode (Normal)", which builds a proper REJECT as opposed to ZDBSP, and usually builds better BSP trees than BSP-W32.

EDIT: GL nodes for OpenGL rendering ports don't conflict with regular nodes for software rendering ports, so you can build standard nodes with Zennode and also GL nodes with GLBSP for the same map. I'm not sure what happens when you do this via a map editor, though, better check it in SLADE3 and possibly build the nodes manually without a map editor.

Edited by scifista42

29 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

Probably "Zennode (Normal)", which builds a proper REJECT as opposed to ZDBSP, and usually builds better BSP trees than BSP-W32.

On the other hand, if it's a really big map I don't believe ZenNode supports extended nodes, so if you pass 65,537 or more SEGS you'll start to run into problems.

At that point ZDBSP (or even DeepBSP) are the only options.

It's possible to have invisible door in boom format? If this possible,how to setup it? 

Yes. You can follow this guide and just don't do the sliding texture part.

If you've got a map that might be limit removing, but isn't staggeringly huge or complex, and might have a hacky bridge, is there a recommended nodebuilder to use?

Any that makes the bridge work. People aren't playing new levels in a 486 anymore, you don't have to worry about performance unless you're recreating New York or the city from GTA  1.

That said, "Zennode (Normal)" should be the best. But if the bridge doesn't work in it, try "ZDBSP (Zero reject)".

Is there a way to send the player from map03 to map31 after map03 ends with the death of a Romero head? The wad is Boom format but I want this to work in GZDoom if possible with mapinfo.

You can write MAPINFO to define the map's secret next map, write an ACS script that will exit the map to the secret map, and write DECORATE to replace the Romero head with a same-looking actor that will call that ACS script upon its death. :)

On 28.5.2017 at 9:55 PM, bzzrak said:

BSP is the best for triXxXx0rZ, from my experience.

The best way is to understand why those haxxx bridges work and build them so that their function does not depend on the node builder.

Always keep in mind that some ports out there totally ignore the included nodes and always build their own, and with those ports the map would break. I think Doomsday is among those who just ditch the original data entirely.

I have quick,but silly question - can I recolour small details in gothic texture set? I'm reading file, but I don't get if they let do some modifications in texture set. I only need some green lines and crosses to be green instead of plain red. 

According to the readme for the Gothic texture pack, you can use their stuff as long as you include their disclaimer in your text file:

* DISCLAIMER *
This PWAD contains select texture(s) and flat(s) that can originally be found
in GothicDM or Gothic2. Credit and thanks go out to the artist(s) of said
flat(s) and texture(s) and also to the rest of the Gothic Crew (1997/98). The
ORIGINAL GothicDM(2).ZIP can be found at CDROM.COM. Each said PKZIP archive
contains thirty-two professional quality levels and music.
http://cdrom.com/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/deathmatch/megawads/gothicdm.zip
http://cdrom.com/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/deathmatch/megawads/gothic2.zip

when I make very big maps and make a new sector, when I into go visual mode and go into the new sector it's surrounded by black walls that I did not place.

Is there a way to fix this? 

Edited by MR SPRING

This problem sounds vague and hard to diagnose, are you able to post the wad so people may investigate?