Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

One way is to define a platform sound sequence that uses the door sounds in SNDSEQ and then override the door sector to use that sound sequence, through the soundsequence property in UDMF, or a sound_sequence_thing in older map formats.

Another way that should probably work is to make the "real" door in a control sector between two dummy sectors (so that it can actually open), and have the visible door use a sector link where you link the platform door's floor with the dummy door's ceiling, and invert the movement. (So, surface 1, type 5.)

is there a way to make a linedef impassable only by one direction, so the player can pass by the other side?

4 hours ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

How to convert ANIMATED into ANIMDEFS? 

By hand. Good luck. There might be an easier way somewhere, but I looked before and didn't found anything.

10 minutes ago, ranhcase said:

is there a way to make a linedef impassable only by one direction, so the player can pass by the other side?

ZDoom and ACS would allow that: https://zdoom.org/wiki/SetLineBlocking

For vanilla, you miiiiiiiiiiiight be able to, with some BLOCKMAP abuse, but I wouldn't count on it.

2 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

By hand. Good luck. There might be an easier way somewhere, but I looked before and didn't found anything.

Damn, I guess I'll stay with ANIMATED and reconvert some textures in ANIMATED too. I don't know if ANIMDEFS can stay with ANIMATED, that's why I'm asking here. 

5 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

ZDoom and ACS would allow that: https://zdoom.org/wiki/SetLineBlocking

For vanilla, you miiiiiiiiiiiight be able to, with some BLOCKMAP abuse, but I wouldn't count on it.

Thanks for the info. I don't wanna mess with BLOCKMAP stuff, i know nothing about it. I'm gonna think of something else, thanks.

I know this one sounds ridiculous, but, you could just have a small staircase (32 units high) so when you fall down you can't return.

33 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

I don't know if ANIMDEFS can stay with ANIMATED, that's why I'm asking here. 

I'd assume yes, as long as they don't provide conflicting info. I'd make a quick test to be sure though.

31 minutes ago, ranhcase said:

Thanks for the info. I don't wanna mess with BLOCKMAP stuff, i know nothing about it. I'm gonna think of something else, thanks.

Depending on how the ceiling is set up in that area, this might be of use:

Or this: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Making_an_invisible_floor

9 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

I'd assume yes, as long as they don't provide conflicting info. I'd make a quick test to be sure though.

Both texture sets have different things. I'll wait and see what you'll say here.

3 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Both texture sets have different things. I'll wait and see what you'll say here.

I meant "you go and make one." Just try adding both sets as resources, put one animated texture of each on a wall and see what happens.

Just now, Albertoni said:

I meant "you go and make one." Just try adding both sets as resources, put one animated texture of each on a wall and see what happens.

Yeah. That's right. I should test it for myself. Anyway,thanks. 

1 hour ago, ranhcase said:

What @Dragonfly said: a small step you fall down or a door that closes behind you will feel much more honest to the player than an invisible wall they just walked through.

You know how much everyone loves invisible walls!

I want to mess around with mapping a bit, even though I am artistically handicapped. Is there some boom-compatible texture pack I can use? It helps me if I see interesting textures and flats, gives me ideas, heh.

18 minutes ago, VGA said:

I want to mess around with mapping a bit, even though I am artistically handicapped. Is there some boom-compatible texture pack I can use? It helps me if I see interesting textures and flats, gives me ideas, heh.

http://realm667.com/index.php/en/texture-stock-mainmenu-152-97360/doom-style-mainmenu-153-87237

and also pretty much anything in the idgames archive. shogotex.wad is awesome, but while compatible, not everything in it fits with the normal Doom textures.

12 hours ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

SLADE 3, right-click on ANIMATED lump, select "convert to ANIMDEFS" option in context menu.

13 hours ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

If the lump is inside a WAD WADEXT will also decompile ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps to ANIMDEFS format.

8 hours ago, Bauul said:

What @Dragonfly said: a small step you fall down or a door that closes behind you will feel much more honest to the player than an invisible wall they just walked through.

You know how much everyone loves invisible walls!

The wall could be covered by a translucent middle texture, making a visible "one-way forcefield". One-way passable walls could also be useful for controlling movement of monsters alone (leading them to an area while preventing them from leaving), possibly in areas that the player can't reach at all, or these walls could block the player differently than the monsters (passable from both sides / impassable from both sides).

Edited by scifista42

3 hours ago, VGA said:

Honestly, while its used a lot, cc4-tex.wad which comes with community chest 4 is a massive texture wad with so much stuff. you should try that.

I'm having issues with Bridges in Boom. It works, but there's  a HOM directly below it. I see this HOM in GLBoom + but not GZDoom. Related question: How do I stop the sound of the lift raising when you walk across the bridge?

Hey guys, how's it going, Spectre01 here. How do you stop default Doom 2 demos from playing after launching a PWAD?

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Hey guys, how's it going, Spectre01 here. How do you stop default Doom 2 demos from playing after launching a PWAD?

Replace the demos with new ones.

^ I think that only works in certain ports. Also, DEMO1-3 are not markers, but normal lumps, and demos are not supposed to be between them, but in them.

Slade shows them as Type > Marker for me. I copied those over from Stardate 20x7, which plays no demos, and that seemed to work in GLBoom+ at least.

Slade_Demo.png

16 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Slade shows them as Type > Marker for me.

SLADE3 just shows "Type: Marker" for any (non-special) lump with "Size: 0".

18 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

that seemed to work in GLBoom+ at least.

PrBoom-plus and GlBoom-plus are among the certain ports where this works, sure.

I am having an error where I have two pairs of stairs generated by a switch 127 stairs raise by 16 (fast) that monsters refuse to climb. They behave as if the generated pair of stairs is set to block monsters. I am out of ideas and this makes the map easier so I would like to solve it. I have a linedef walk-over trigger for an other action in the middle of both pairs of stairs but that can't be the root can it ?

Your stairs may be too steep for monsters to climb. A monster can only step to a new position if the terrain directly below the monster's hitbox on the new position is relatively plain, precisely that the height difference between the lowest and the highest heights of all floors below the monster's hitbox must be lesser or equal the monster step height, which is standardly 24 map units. This makes too wide monsters unable to climb stairs that are too narrow and steep. Generally, the monster's diameter and walking speed, and each step's height and narrowness, are all factors that determine whether the monster will be able to climb the stairs or not.

Edited by scifista42

@NeedHealth Exactly as Scifista said.  Unlike the player that will happily whiz up stairs a unit wide, the monsters cannot climb any stairs that are steeper than 24 units per the monster width.  By which we mean you could have one 24 unit step, two 12 unit steps or even twenty four 1 unit steps, but the total horizontal distance between the first and last cannot be more than the width of the monster.

E.g. for an imp, the stairs cannot go more than 24 units up every 40 units across.  And that's presuming the imp approaches them perfectly orthogonally.  If they hit them diagonally, that increases to 57 units across for every 24 up.  And even then the random monster movement can confuse things, so I wouldn't go for anything steeper than about 70 units for every 24 up.

For a Spider Mastermind, you need steps that are nearly 400 units wide for every 24 units up!

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

monsters cannot climb any stairs that are steeper than 24 units per the monster width.  By which we mean you could have one 24 unit step, two 12 unit steps or even twenty four 1 unit steps, but the total horizontal distance between the first and last cannot be more than the width of the monster.

To be entirely precise, "distance between the first and last step" must not be greater than "the monster's diameter minus the monster's speed per one move". But if the "distance between the first and last step" is in the critical range between "monster's diameter minus its speed per one move" and full "monster's diameter", the monster may or may not succeed to climb the step any time it tries to do so, depending on the monster's very exact position relative to the steps. In this scenario, the greater distance, the more likely the monster will succeed to climb the step. You can observe this for example with Revenants on staircases where each step is 16 units high and 32 units narrow. They will seem "partially blocked" by the stairs, slowly climbing them in the long term but staying on each step for quite a long time before succeeding to move to the next step.

Edited by scifista42