Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

In co-op play do weapon pickups and items respawn?

6 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

If the source port/gameplay settings allows them to.

Thanks - do you know if it is common practice or shall i just provide extra MP weapon pickups in a map as insurance?

50 minutes ago, Snikle said:

How do I build 3d floors for boom format for in db2?

You don't. 3d floors are only for ZDoom or GZDoom. I think Eternity also supports them, not sure though.

This thread has an alternative that may work, if the player cannot walk under the floor:

12 minutes ago, Snikle said:

What about slopes? Can Boom-derived ports do slopes?

Only Eternity, and only visual only (for now).

11 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Only Eternity, and only visual only (for now).

Alright. Thanks.

EDIT: Is there a way to align the textures on a bunch of linedefs without selecting them all in visual mode and pressing "a"?

Edited by Snikle

Hey there. This applies to limit-removing Doom 1 format: I have a nukage pit made up of several sectors, mainly ceiling decorations, which I want to raise by (roughly) 32 units and remove the damaging effect/change texture. This is done via a switch and the sectors are tagged 5. Action 14, raise by 32 + change texture, makes everything rise properly but the damaging effect remains. Action 20, raise to next floor + change texture, gets rid of the damaging effect but the sectors don't all rise the same amount, even if I make a dummy sector with the floor height I want and join the 8 or so sectors going up to it.

Use action 14 and make sure that the sector right in front of the activation linedef is non-damaging.

On 3/2/2017 at 0:34 AM, scifista42 said:

My intention was to make the single frames just to show how easy the task is, to encourage Tango to easily make his own recolors with all frames.

I'm pretty late but you are both @scifista42 @Gez angels, thank you. In hindsight, I don't know why I thought it would be difficult to just do the recolors myself. Thank you though :D

In Boom Format, is it possible to have impassible midtexture "handrails" stay on the sides of a lift as you ride it down? Currently they float in the air where I place them.

1 minute ago, Spectre01 said:

In Boom Format, is it possible to have impassible midtexture "handrails" stay on the sides of a lift as you ride it down? Currently they float in the air where I place them.

Set them to lower unpegged.

31 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

It'll work if the handrails are lower unpegged.

If the handrails and the sides of the lift are represented by the same lines, this will make the sides of the lift look weird if visible, so you can move the handrails onto the lift, 1-mu away from the sides, if you want to avoid that but preserve the same appearance.

Edited by rdwpa : typo

If a map has multiple sectors with identical heights, as well as floor and ceiling flats, does merging them improve performance?

Not to any measurable effect in Software. If they can be all merged in the same visplane, the flats get drawn as one. If you are however using a 3D polygon renderer, "it depends".

As a rule of thumb, never optimize unless you're having performance problems.

And if you are having performance problems, I can think of a dozen things more probable to cause them than an insane amount of sectors.

How does Boom pusher works?If I place them where monster teleporter closets are, would they affect monsters? I just want try setup a bit different type of teleporter ambush. 

If I recall correctly, the behavior of pushers is unfortunately port-specific - they even do affect monsters in some ports and don't affect monsters at all in other ports - so better test your map in many different ports if you plan using them.

Does anyone know of any software to create BMF files (Byte Map Fonts)? I've already drawn up the art for the font, I just need a way of creating the .BMF from the graphics. Everything I find online seems to be of little to no use when it comes to using your own fonts. BMFont is about creating a BMF from a font, not a Bitmap.

I thought I'd cracked it thanks to an Adobe Air application called ShoeBox, but sadly this generates a .FNT file, not .BMF.

I've alsoe tried Spidey's ZDoom Font Generator, but it seems to error out on the generation of the lmp file. :/

Can anyone assist? Here's a copy of the font PNG, in case you wanted to try for yourselves!

7243e33a919b64bd16d6659d4729cde9.png

Say, i want to do a space ship cockpit (More like a control station and it's kinda big) but how do i make a window and a horizon effect? Please note that this is bound to the limits of Doomsday (more specifically, Doom 64 TC)

It's possible to setup voodoo doll to not affect main sectors? I create scrolling light with "WR-change light to 225" with scrolling floor, but it affects all map sectors, which shouldn't be affected by that effect. Maybe, I'm wrong.

Actor Trite 16038
 {
  HitObituary "%o was nipped by a Trite"
  Health 30
  Radius 20
  Height 25
  Mass 100
  Speed 6
  Scale 0.55
  PainChance 192
  BloodColor DarkGreen
  PainSound "Trite/Pain"
  SeeSound "Trite/Sight"
  DeathSound "Trite/Death"
  ActiveSound "Trite/Active"
  MeleeSound "Trite/MeleeHit"
  MeleeDamage 2
  MeleeThreshold 64
  MaxTargetRange 160
  MinMissileChance 10
  Damage 2
  Monster
  +FloorClip
  +DontHurtSpecies
  +NoTarget
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    TRIT A 1 A_Look
    Loop
  See:
    TRIT A 2 A_Chase("", "", 0)
    TRIT A 2 A_Chase
    TRIT A 0 A_PlaySoundEx("Trite/Step", "SoundSlot7", 0)
    TRIT BB 2 A_Chase("Melee", "Missile", 2)
    TRIT B 0 A_PlaySoundEx("Trite/Step", "SoundSlot7", 0)
    TRIT CC 2 A_Chase
    TRIT C 0 A_PlaySoundEx("Trite/Step", "SoundSlot7", 0)
    TRIT DD 2 A_Chase("Melee", "Missile", 2)
    TRIT D 0 A_PlaySoundEx("Trite/Step", "SoundSlot7", 0)
    Loop
  Melee:
    TRIT A 6 A_FaceTarget
    TRIT A 0 A_Jump(192, 2)
    TRIT A 0 A_PlaySound("Trite/Attack")
    TRIT E 6 A_MeleeAttack
    Goto See
  Missile:
    TRIT A 0 A_Jump(128, "See")
    TRIT AAA 3 A_FaceTarget
    TRIT F 0 A_PlaySound("Trite/Attack")
    TRIT F 0 A_SkullAttack
    TRIT F 10 ThrustThingZ(0, 6, 0, 1)
    TRIT E 8 A_Stop
    Goto See
  Web:
    TRIT F 0
    TRIT F 0 A_ChangeFlag("LowGravity", 1)
    TRIT F 0 A_ChangeFlag("NoDamage", 1)
    TRIT F 0 A_ChangeFlag("NoPain", 1)
    TRIT F 0 A_PlaySound("Trite/WebStart")
    TRIT F 1 A_CheckFloor(1)
    Goto Web+5
    TRIT A 0 A_ChangeFlag("NoDamage", 0)
    TRIT A 0 A_ChangeFlag("NoPain", 0)
    TRIT A 0 A_ChangeFlag("LowGravity", 0)
    TRIT A 12 A_PlaySound("Trite/WebEnd")
    Goto Spawn
  Pain:
    TRIT E 3
    TRIT E 3 A_Pain
    Goto See
  Death:
    TRIT G 5 A_Scream
    TRIT H 0 A_PlaySoundEx("Trite/Splat", "SoundSlot7", 0)
    TRIT H 5 A_NoBlocking
    TRIT IJK 5    
    Stop
  }
}

Is there anything wrong with the Decorate above? GzDoom has problems with an actor property in line 4.

1 hour ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

It's possible to setup voodoo doll to not affect main sectors? I create scrolling light with "WR-change light to 225" with scrolling floor, but it affects all map sectors, which shouldn't be affected by that effect. Maybe, I'm wrong.

...give the WR line a tag maybe?

EDIT:

Can you provide an example WAD that recreates the bug?

11 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

...give the WR line a tag maybe?

I gave tag too for desired sectors for that effect, but effect applies to all map sectors. I'll try move setup far from map. 

Edited by MysteriousHaruko

On lundi 10 juillet 2017 at 4:08 AM, Dragonfly said:

Does anyone know of any software to create BMF files (Byte Map Fonts)? I've already drawn up the art for the font, I just need a way of creating the .BMF from the graphics. Everything I find online seems to be of little to no use when it comes to using your own fonts. BMFont is about creating a BMF from a font, not a Bitmap.

I thought I'd cracked it thanks to an Adobe Air application called ShoeBox, but sadly this generates a .FNT file, not .BMF.

I've alsoe tried Spidey's ZDoom Font Generator, but it seems to error out on the generation of the lmp file. :/

Can anyone assist? Here's a copy of the font PNG, in case you wanted to try for yourselves!

7243e33a919b64bd16d6659d4729cde9.png

Do you need it to be in BMF format or would you be okay with FON2 format? For ZDoom either would work. There doesn't seem to be any modern utility for making BMF fonts (here I see there's one for DOS?) but you can use ImageTool to get a FON2 font.

4 hours ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

I gave tag too for desired sectors for that effect, but effect applies to all map sectors. I'll try move setup far from map. 

Post the map, please. No need to worry about missing textures or whatever degree of work-in-progress it is, we understand all maps have to look terrible at some point, heh.